Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: [Video] NYC Meetup - Weyland vs. Whizzard (Darwin) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been awhile since I posted a video. I've taken quite a few, but most of the games were either not worth posting, or the video came out bad. At the meetup on Tuesday had a really good game against Tom, and the video came out great! Hopefully more to come soon. Enjoy.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
That game was really, really good. I had a number of really good games that night. I was on pins and needles the whole time, trying to figure out how I was going to survive. Especially once you trashed the second Corporate Troubleshooter. That meant I couldn't use money to lock you out of both my remote AND R&D, and that was an awful feeling! I had to rely on clearing Medium and making R&D too expensive to run much.

Super-intense, and a lot of fun. Thanks again for the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anathomical wrote:
That game was really, really good. I had a number of really good games that night. I was on pins and needles the whole time, trying to figure out how I was going to survive. Especially once you trashed the second Corporate Troubleshooter. That meant I couldn't use money to lock you out of both my remote AND R&D, and that was an awful feeling! I had to rely on clearing Medium and making R&D too expensive to run much.

Super-intense, and a lot of fun. Thanks again for the game.

What's your experience with Thomas Haas? And do you have any Opening Moves tweaks planned for the deck?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
Thomas Haas is exactly the type of ambush that this style of deck wants. He serves three major purposes:

1. He's another asset/upgrade/agenda that I can install to bait people into running through Archer. Even if they're prepped for it, it's an expensive run, and thus I want to make them do it as often as possible.

2. When advanced, he provides me with more credits than apparent. I've had people run because I only have three credits in my pool, and they think they're safe from Archer, only to rez Thomas Haas, get credits, and rez Archer to trash their rig.

3. He makes for an amazing Account Siphon defense. Get two or three advancements on him against criminal players, and you basically have same-turn recovery from Account Siphon runs. (This comes up less often, in part because we don't have a ton of criminal players locally, and in part because he's a two-of in the deck, so I often don't have him when I want him.)

I suppose there's the bonus of his synergy with Simone Diego, but generally speaking, you don't really want to spend your turns gaining credits in this deck, even if it's via the relatively efficient "use Simone to advance Thomas" path.

I don't have any Opening Moves changes for the deck planned at the moment, but it's entirely possible that I'll experiment with Jackson Howard. He's another card to bait runs with, and his trash ability would let me recycle Corporate Troubleshooter, SEA Source, and Scorched Earth, all of which would be valuable cards in the attrition war this deck wants to set up. But it can't be advanced, and it doesn't help against Account Siphon, so I don't know where I'm going to fall out on that in the end.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Experience with Thomas Haas: Makes people like me run through archer twice for no reason. Lost 15 credits in two turns on wasted runs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
Apreche wrote:
Experience with Thomas Haas: Makes people like me run through archer twice for no reason. Lost 15 credits in two turns on wasted runs.


Exactly. Except that if you hadn't run, that could have been a Project Atlas and a Gila Hands, so it's not like you have a choice given the way this deck is built.

Or that's the plan, at least...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the subject of program destruction, I (as a fellow whale lover), would absolutely have run on the remote in the early stages of the game where Scott was lamenting his inability to run the remote. (although I don't know what was in Scott's hand) An archer trashing a single darwin is far from the end of the world in a deck that presumably has 2 more darwins and 3 djinn's and probably some deja vu to bring the darwin back.

I'd rather make him sacrifice the agenda point - learn where the archer is so you can deal with it. Letting him represent archer until your darwin is big enough to deal with it. You're at least 2/3 turns away from being able to deal with an archer, so that's another agenda if you're not willing to run, and for all you know its a popup window and an ice wall.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
Captain_Frisk wrote:
On the subject of program destruction, I (as a fellow whale lover), would absolutely have run on the remote in the early stages of the game where Scott was lamenting his inability to run the remote. (although I don't know what was in Scott's hand) An archer trashing a single darwin is far from the end of the world in a deck that presumably has 2 more darwins and 3 djinn's and probably some deja vu to bring the darwin back.

I'd rather make him sacrifice the agenda point - learn where the archer is so you can deal with it. Letting him represent archer until your darwin is big enough to deal with it. You're at least 2/3 turns away from being able to deal with an archer, so that's another agenda if you're not willing to run, and for all you know its a popup window and an ice wall.


I think that's not an unreasonable approach to take, but remember that in this specific game, it would have actually been the wrong play because it WAS an Archer. He didn't lose anything by assuming it (i.e., I didn't push any agendas through behind that assumption), and I eventually rezzed it anyway, so it's not as if I had a point I wouldn't have otherwise. So if he had run it, I would have A) gotten it at a discount because of the gain-2-credits subroutine, and B) set his board back by the cost of recovery.

Part of it may be that we play each other relatively often, and he's learned, as have most people, that that particular position is my absolute favorite place to install Archer.

So picking the right line of play, I think, depends a lot on what you know about your opponent. Against me, and my playstyle, I think the caution was absolutely right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good video. My only commentary suggestion would be to not give the game away before we see it. When you said who wins 5 minutes before the end of the game, it kinda ruins the rest of it. I wouldn't have known who was going to win, and it would have been very intense to watch, but you ruined the ending. Fun to watch, otherwise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apreche: any Infiltrations in that deck?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Infiltrations.

The way I've been thinking lately is this:

If you are making a deck that runs remote servers, which this one does, then put in at least three infiltration (or satellite uplink). If you never want to run a remote server, then don't put in any. My deck could easily be modified to remove all infiltration, add in some more medium/nerve agent, perhaps even demo run.

Or even a stimhack, which would have actually would have won me this game if I had one in hand at the end...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hien Nguyen Duc
Finland
Lappeenranta
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry in advance if I'm mistaken, but at 16:05 and 17:35 mark, when the corp player put a 3rd ice on remote and 3rd ice on R&D he forgot to pay 2 credits each time right? He also used 2 clicks after those to gain 2 credits, so they created a 4-credit swing each time which are pretty large. Please correct me if I'm wrong
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto H
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
On the subject of program destruction, I (as a fellow whale lover), would absolutely have run on the remote in the early stages of the game where Scott was lamenting his inability to run the remote. (although I don't know what was in Scott's hand) An archer trashing a single darwin is far from the end of the world in a deck that presumably has 2 more darwins and 3 djinn's and probably some deja vu to bring the darwin back.

I'd rather make him sacrifice the agenda point - learn where the archer is so you can deal with it. Letting him represent archer until your darwin is big enough to deal with it. You're at least 2/3 turns away from being able to deal with an archer, so that's another agenda if you're not willing to run, and for all you know its a popup window and an ice wall.


Yes, I am little puzzled about the darwin deck. Weyland facedown down ICE and scored agenda should let corp to over advance Atlas and win in couple turns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
kyokorebit wrote:
Sorry in advance if I'm mistaken, but at 16:05 and 17:35 mark, when the corp player put a 3rd ice on remote and 3rd ice on R&D he forgot to pay 2 credits each time right? He also used 2 clicks after those to gain 2 credits, so they created a 4-credit swing each time which are pretty large. Please correct me if I'm wrong


You had me worried that I'd cheated out this crazy win, but I went back and checked. It's all bundled up, but what I did in both of those cases was:

Action 1: Install ice, pay two credits.
Action 2 + 3: Use Gila Hands Arcology to gain three credits.

Netting 1 credit.

So what I'm actually doing, physically, at both those points is installing one ice, and then picking up one credit and adding it to my pool. At least I'm pretty sure that that's what I'm doing!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anathomical wrote:
So what I'm actually doing, physically, at both those points is installing one ice, and then picking up one credit and adding it to my pool. At least I'm pretty sure that that's what I'm doing!


Yeah, I agree. At the 16:05, for example, it's clear you're only holding one credit from the way you drop it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
kyokorebit wrote:
Sorry in advance if I'm mistaken, but at 16:05 and 17:35 mark, when the corp player put a 3rd ice on remote and 3rd ice on R&D he forgot to pay 2 credits each time right? He also used 2 clicks after those to gain 2 credits, so they created a 4-credit swing each time which are pretty large. Please correct me if I'm wrong


It looked to me like he placed the ice, then took 1 credit and added it to his pool. That math adds up: click 1 is install ice for -2 credits, clicks 2+3 activate Gila hands for +3 credits, for a net of +1 credit.

Edit: And this is what you get for leaving a browser open with a post partially composed! ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While our group has its fair share of notorious cheaters, Thomas is not one of them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hien Nguyen Duc
Finland
Lappeenranta
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well I knew that I was wrong That's why I have to say sorry in advance because my Netrunner-fu is pretty limited. I am indeed not aware of the Gila Hands. Sorry Thomas for making you worried, this is one of the best match I've seen so far
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
kyokorebit wrote:
Well I knew that I was wrong That's why I have to say sorry in advance because my Netrunner-fu is pretty limited. I am indeed not aware of the Gila Hands. Sorry Thomas for making you worried, this is one of the best match I've seen so far


Not a problem! Always better to double-check, I think. After all, in a game that close, every little bit counts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anathomical wrote:
Not a problem! Always better to double-check, I think. After all, in a game that close, every little bit counts.


You mean "every little credit." Classic Netrunner called them bits.

*starts running*
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scifantasy wrote:
anathomical wrote:
Not a problem! Always better to double-check, I think. After all, in a game that close, every little bit counts.


You mean "every little credit." Classic Netrunner called them bits.

*starts running*

I would like to point out scifantasy's lefternmost geek badge...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/6441
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daine .

Illinois
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I was surprised you didn't go for the more aggressive corp win by using the second atlas token for a 2-point agenda and installing it. Runner could have won with a good enough dig, but things looked pretty bleak for the corp (to me) and I probably would have risked it. With Simone already rezzed, you could have used all but one credit on the troubleshooter on archer, making the remote safe, meaning runner's only chance was in R+D. Was it experience with your deck, your hand, or something else that made you play it the way you did?

Great game, btw. I really thought runner had it until the end.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.