GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Mundus Novus» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ponce de Leon - how does the card work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hirschman
United States
flag msg tools
Ponce de Leon: "....enables the player to separate his caravels into two fleets. Each fleet is considered independently in terms of the order of choice of additional cards and for the Pirates event."

Could someone please explain to me how this card is used regarding "order of choice of additional cards" and "for the Pirates event." If you add examples and mention the advantages of using this card I would appreciate it.

I am still learning the rules for the game and have not yet played my first game. Sorry for my naivete but I often have found the rules pamphlet vague or incomplete. This card is one example.
Thanks.
Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each players usually has only one fleet, and its total value determines the order in which players can pick up additional resource cards. If your opponent has 2 ships (a 4 and a 5) their fleet value is 9. If you also have 2 ships (2 and 8) your total value is 10. So, they get to choose two cards first.
But Ponce de Leon allows you to divide your ships into 2 fleets. You would have 2 fleets, with values 2 and 8. So you would get first pick, then your opponent would pick 2, and then you'd get to pick up your last one.
Sorry, messed up there: you would get first and second pick, your opponent would get the remaining two.

If you had a 2 and a 10, then Ponce would give you first pick (with your value 2 ship), your opponent would take 2 cards, and you would get the remaining one.

(read more about fleet formation in this thread)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And when pirates strike, the penalty is calculated per 2 ships in your fleet. So if you have 6 ships, you have to give up 3 resource cards. of 1 resource card is applied to each fleet of 2 or more ships. So whether you have 2 caravels or 7 in your fleet, you just lose one resource.

But if you have Ponce, you can divide your ships into 2 fleets. Each fleet of 3 ships would force you to discard 1 resource card, so only 2 cards in total. Each fleet of 2 or more ships would force you to discard 1 resource card, so if you keep one fleet to a single caravel it'll be safe.

(read more about pirates & ponce in this thread)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hirschman
United States
flag msg tools
Wyckyd wrote:
Each players usually has only one fleet, and its total value determines the order in which players can pick up additional resource cards. If your opponent has 2 ships (a 4 and a 5) their fleet value is 9. If you also have 2 ships (2 and 8) your total value is 10. So, they get to choose two cards first.
But Ponce de Leon allows you to divide your ships into 2 fleets. You would have 2 fleets, with values 2 and 8. So you would get first pick, then your opponent would pick 2, and then you'd get to pick up your last one.

(read more about fleet formation in this thread)

Thanks for the two helpful responses.
Perhaps I am still confused regarding the example above. If I divide my ships into 2 fleets I then have fleets with values of 2 and 8. My opponent has a fleet value of 9. Since my fleets have the two lowest values (2 and 8) wouldn't I get the first two picks and then my opponent gets two picks? This is in contrast to what you wrote - I get first pick, my opponent gets two picks and then I get the fourth pick.
Thanks again.
Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rich10 wrote:
Perhaps I am still confused regarding the example above

And rightly so: I messed up. Edited my original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Wyckyd wrote:
And when pirates strike, the penalty is calculated per 2 ships in your fleet. So if you have 6 ships, you have to give up 3 resource cards.

But if you have Ponce, you can divide your ships into 2 fleets. Each fleet of 3 ships would force you to discard 1 resource card, so only 2 cards in total.

The quoted thread disagrees. In it, the designer states that you give up 1 resource card per fleet (or squadron) of 2 or more ships. So if you have a fleet of 6 ships, you only lose one card. If you have Ponce, the ships should probably be divided into squadrons of 1 and 5, so as to lose only 1 card (instead of 2 cards).

I also read somewhere that you can only split your fleet one time. Later, you can add more ships to either squadron. In this way you could probably assure yourself of first pick during the supply phase the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asfhgwt wrote:
Wyckyd wrote:
And when pirates strike, the penalty is calculated per 2 ships in your fleet. So if you have 6 ships, you have to give up 3 resource cards.

But if you have Ponce, you can divide your ships into 2 fleets. Each fleet of 3 ships would force you to discard 1 resource card, so only 2 cards in total.

The quoted thread disagrees. In it, the designer states that you give up 1 resource card per fleet (or squadron) of 2 or more ships. So if you have a fleet of 6 ships, you only lose one card. If you have Ponce, the ships should probably be divided into squadrons of 1 and 5, so as to lose only 1 card (instead of 2 cards).

I also read somewhere that you can only split your fleet one time. Later, you can add more ships to either squadron. In this way you could probably assure yourself of first pick during the supply phase the whole game.

Wow you're right. Thanks for pointing it out - I don't know if the response got editted, or if I just read it wrong, but really thought my interpretation was confirmed.
I'll edit my original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.