Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Dual Firesprays or Dual YT-1300 competitive list rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper Scharling
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I am going to a wave 1/2 tournament only, so I cant bring any wave 3 craft or cards.

So I have these 2 list in mind:

Imperial:
Bounty Hunter + Heavy Laser Cannon
Howlrunner with swarm tactics

The thought is that Howlrunner is going to assist the bounty hunter with the best shot at giving him ps8. And when I get to close combat, help with rerolls.

Rebels:
YT-1300 Lando Calrissian + Determination + Gunner + Weapons Engineer)
YT-1300 Chewbacca + Draw Their Fire + Weapons Engineer + Millennium Falcon)

Lando hides behind chewy and helps chewbacca take target lock. Where chewys default action is evade. Each turn both YT-1300 target lock 2 craft and focus fire on the same target until its dead. And if your target can hit you, you can hit it back as well so no getting outmaneuvered and due to target lock each turn having a good chance of scoring some hits.

Last lists are also rebels:

4 x Rookie Pilots + Shields.

I have beaten dual falcons with this. Since 4 rookies is like having 4 YT-1300 for a shorter period of time. But you need a good alpha strike.

and

Biggs + R2-F2
Rookie Pilot + Shield
Rookie Pilot + Shield
Rookie Pilot

Biggs flies behind the 3 other guys forcing shoots on to him, with 3 or 4 defense dice. So that the rookies get more turned firing before dying.

So what would you field in a wave 1 and 2 only tourny ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Hamp
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skanque wrote:

Imperial:

My problem with this list is Swarm Tactics. The big ships move so differently than Howlrunner, I've seen lots of people try to keep her within range 1 of them and I have seen them mostly fail. (The same thing happens with Captain Jonus.)

I would recommend switching it out for Squad Leader. Keeping Howl at range 2 is not only much easier to do, but gives you more options to keep her out of danger. You WANT those HLCs in action as much as possible, so when you need to K-Turn Howlrunner + Squad Leader gives you a TL or focus opportunity & when you are hurt and want to take an evade, you can also take a focus and turtle up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skanque wrote:
I am going to a wave 1/2 tournament only, so I cant bring any wave 3 craft or cards.

So I have these 2 list in mind:

Imperial:

The thought is that Howlrunner is going to assist the bounty hunter with the best shot at giving him ps8. And when I get to close combat, help with rerolls.

This is the exact list that took a Canuck to the final 4 of 84 at Gen Con. He destroyed several double-Falcon and TIE Swarm lists with it, finally losing to a triple-X-wing list with insane defence dice (Biggs was nearly invincible for the first 6-7 rounds). Of your lists, it's definitely the one I'd run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IainHamp wrote:
You WANT those HLCs in action as much as possible, so when you need to K-Turn Howlrunner + Squad Leader gives you a TL or focus opportunity & when you are hurt and want to take an evade, you can also take a focus and turtle up.

This doesn't work. You can't take an action (even a free one) while stressed. However, Squad Leader will grant an action to a ship that collided with another ship or obstacle, as that ship merely skipped its action phase (but is capable of taking actions in general).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skanque wrote:

Imperial:

This list went to the final four at GenCon. Team Covenant did a video battle report for it that is in the Video section. Looked like a fun list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The 2x Firespray looks like the most fun, although double Falcons will also be strong.

Think seriously about swapping Determination on Lando for Draw Their Fire, though, if you go that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Scharling
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
How about bringing Dark Curse + Stealth device instead of howlrunner and be at 99 points. Or Dark Curse and 2 seismic charges on the firesprays ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
The 2x Firespray looks like the most fun, although double Falcons will also be strong.

Think seriously about swapping Determination on Lando for Draw Their Fire, though, if you go that route.

Or Veteran Instinct on Lando. That allows Lando to fire first, but also to give Chewie that TL after other ships have maneuvered.

Otherwise, as Vorpal Sword implied, Determination won't do anything so long as Chewie is alive and within range (Chewie has to choose to absorb the crit before the damage card is dealt, so you can't look to see if it applies to "pilot" before Draw Their Fire triggers). Regarding Draw Their Fire on both, this was popular at Gen Con and made the final 16 (8?), but it did nothing against the HLC's of the double-Firespray since they almost never deal critical damage (and made the choice between TL and Focus easy for the Firsprays since HLC+TL can cause crits - which is undesired against such a list).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran double YT's and Howl last night and had very little issue keeping Howl close to the YT's. There were a couple moments that she was at range 2, but the tie makes it all too easy to tight turn 1 back into position.

I think swarm tactics a great solution, and one that I used myself. I won with no ships lost, so it cannot be all that bad a build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
I ran double YT's and Howl last night and had very little issue keeping Howl close to the YT's. There were a couple moments that she was at range 2, but the tie makes it all too easy to tight turn 1 back into position.

I think swarm tactics a great solution, and one that I used myself. I won with no ships lost, so it cannot be all that bad a build.

How do you prevent your double-YT's from turning on Howlrunner?

(j/k; I assume you meant double-Firesprays)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

How do you prevent your double-YT's from turning on Howlrunner?

(j/k; I assume you meant double-Firesprays)

blush

lol, because Howlrunner is a traitor to the Empire? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.