Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I am just curious if there are any games out there similar to gates of Loyang? I think it is such a great game, I love it and just wish it was a tad longer. I own Agricola, both the full game and smaller 2 player version. And I have played le havre .. I know they are all in the same "family" but they feel different. I am looking for something very similar to Loyang. Thanks in advance!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelia102881 wrote:
Hi! I am just curious if there are any games out there similar to gates of Loyang? I think it is such a great game, I love it and just wish it was a tad longer. I own Agricola, both the full game and smaller 2 player version. And I have played le havre .. I know they are all in the same "family" but they feel different. I am looking for something very similar to Loyang. Thanks in advance!!

What is is that you like about the game? The theme? Mechanics? Category?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.R. Shoenberger
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca is a lot more simplistic, but it has you completing orders of fruit (instead of vegetables). If you're really attached to the vegetable idea, you're out of luck here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im not sure what I like so much about it. I like the theme and the pieces. I like that you can use each others boards/cards. I like the bits and the planting and using what you plant in future turns. I like meeting the needs of different "deadlines" each turn of the regular customer and the other customers that you can help when you need. I like the card drafting system to get your cards each turn. Pretty much everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might want to check out Last Will. It's not entirely similar to Loyang, but it does share some parallels. In both, you're trying to set up an engine that pays off not only now, but a few rounds from now.

In Last Will, there are fresh cards turned up each round, and you have to make decisions in a worker placement phase to decide which of them you'll get. You'll also have the opportunity to draw more cards at random when you're determining player order for the worker placement phase.

The most important similarity to me is that there are many ways to get ahead. You can go long-term (arranging things to satisfy that difficult leek/bean regular, or buying mansions and farms to depreciate and sell off in later rounds), or you can go short term (casual customers, or one-shot events). The other cards (helpers/expenses) can really strengthen your strategy if played correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelia102881 wrote:
Im not sure what I like so much about it. I like the theme and the pieces. I like that you can use each others boards/cards. I like the bits and the planting and using what you plant in future turns. I like meeting the needs of different "deadlines" each turn of the regular customer and the other customers that you can help when you need. I like the card drafting system to get your cards each turn. Pretty much everything.

Using other player's buildings:
The Manhattan Project - A nice twist on worker placement where you don't automatically get your workers back, you have to take a whole turn doing it.

Meeting needs and planning deadlines:
Dungeon Petz - You have to support your pets every round, and get to see customers for future rounds to plan optimally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 on Finca. Easier to learn, takes shorter time, but still just as fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.