Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am designing a game based on Kafka's The Castle, which I've submitted for the Solitaire PnP contest, and I'm really pleased with the results so far. My rules set is at v.0.3 soon to be v.0.4 and I'm starting to think about printing a professional looking prototype at least for local gametesting (after initial game testing is complete). I have no dreams of large scale world domination at this point, I would just like to look at my pretty designs while I play the game.

So, I'm thinking of going with Printer's Studio to produce a nice quality linen card, but from what I've read the linen finish tends to darken cards a bit, and my cards already have a darker tone to them. I'm asking people with practical experience in this realm what is the best way to combat this? Can I just lighten the colors used by a certain percentage in expectation that they will darken with the process? I was thinking I would have 5 prototypes made at v.0.5 and send a few out for play testing and review.

The game has really come a long way since it's inception a month ago. I've play tested it quite a bit and sent it out for play testing. I haven't gotten much response here, but I'm still excited by the prospect of having a finished game (even if just for the family and a few local gamers).

I have the cards in a CMYK compatible format (though they can't be uploaded here in CMYK). I'm just wondering if there are other things I need to be doing in preperation for the printing process.

The board, tokens, and game box I was planning on getting from Gamecrafter, unless someone has some good input on this as well?

I don't want it to seem like I'm pimping my product here, but just to give you an idea of what the cards look and feel are like:

The bleed area is outlined on the second card, but there is built in bleed on both. They were designed using the gamecrafter template in mind (2.75"x3.75").

Thanks for any information you can provide,
Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Realistically there is always going to be a difference between what a printed page/card/etc looks like when compared to what you see on screen. Monitors are light being projected while printing is ink being laid down. To get them to match you usually have to calibrate your monitor to match your printed product after the fact. Calibration can take some serious work or fancy software. Considering you are wanting to print then from a printer half way around the world what it'll look like is kind of a crap shoot. Just try lightening things up and increasing contrast on a few different cards as a trial to see what they look like. Perhaps 10% on a few, 20% on some others, etc. That way you get a good idea of what they will look like in the future for others or as a finished product. Oh and very cool looking work! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.