Popular Tags: [View All]
A Gateway Gamer Runs Through
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

My name is Barry Reynolds and I have recently started a series of videos to showcase Gateway Games called a Gateway Gamer runsthrough. So if you are so inclined you can check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBwlEpdlceGP9cg7jl_tZYQ/feat...

History: I started in the hobby about a year ago when I bought Pandemic on a whim. I have played the usual suspects most of my life, Risk, Chess, Skippo..., but did not even know of the hobby until Pandemic. Although I do remember seeing Settlers of Catan at Barnes and Nobles as a teen and thinking it looked like a good game but not worth the 30?, 40? dollar tag. Back to Pandemic. I opened the box, set the game up, and got my wife to the table. Then we got our butts handed to us. I was hooked. Game 2 ended the same, halfway through game 3 we were looking pretty good and then while re-reading the rules I realized we were cheating( we were shuffling the player cards and reusing them). By this point I was hooked.
Since then I have bought around 75 or so games and only met two that I absolutely hated. But I noticed something. I bought Mansions of Madness, which is one of our favorite games, and found that the clarity of the rules sucked. Later I would find this to be the case with a lot of the games by FFG. So I started to look on the internet. Two things happened. I found Board Game Geek and I found many gaming reviews. BGG great. Reviews no so much(only made me want to buy 50 or 60 more games).
At last I found a video on the basic mechanics to Mansions and then Watch it Played, although it was called something else then, and eight hours after that we finished our first game.
I have come to realize there are not a lot of video walk-throughs for gateway games, especially for 2 players, and after a long time thinking about it I decided to start a series of my own.
The series.
Don't get me wrong there are several very good walk through series now. Watch it Played, Modern , Box of delight, A Lonesome Gamer, of course Table Top, and Rahdo Runsthrough. but I think they are geared for more players or more complex games than a person just getting into the hobby would be interested in. So I figured I would do something on the basic games. It would be geared towards two players, because I think that is how most people start out, and it would just show the components, game overview, and game play. Just sit down and film yourself playing a game. How hard could it be?
Well it was a lot harder than I thought. But in the end I found it very satisfying.

So please take a look and leave some feedback.

Thanks for your interest.

Barry.

P.S. I would like to thank Rodney Smith for his fast response and advice given in an e-mail I sent to him the other day. And I would also like to thank Jacob Sand my first subscriber. Somehow he found the youtube page while I was testing the site out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Podcasts & Blogs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Gateway Gamer Runs Through
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second runthrough in the series is on Mr. Jack. Please check it out and as always feedback or comments are always welcomed.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBwlEpdlceGP9cg7jl_tZYQ?feat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.