Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
135 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion Pack Forums, Grrr. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently (or perhaps longer and I've failed to discover it), moderators have been moving threads out of the X-Wing General Forum and into specific forums for expansion packs.

I first stumbled on this when I followed an outside link to a discussion here on the Shuttle and found it squirrelled away in the Shuttle Expansion Forum. And now my own shuttle modelling thread has been shunted off there too.

For a couple of games that I like to follow, X-Wing and Super Dungeon Explore, I've bookmarked those game forums so I can go there and catch up on all the discussions. Now, I have no idea how many discussions I've missed, and I won't be spending the time hunting down and bookmarking forums for every bleeping expansion pack to a game!

Is there anyway to navigate this site that would let one easily follow all the discussions to a game and its expansions?

I find the current balkanisation approach very frustrating.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
For the Dorkentime!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
THe best way for me right now is to hit the main page (Which is essentially a portal showing latest activity) and go to Forums or Linked Forums:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/103885/star-wars-x-wi...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't wade through the main page too often alas. I prefer going straight to areas of interest most of the time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that's annoying. Base game forums are the forums I monitor. I do't want to monitor 12 other forums just because there may be something going on with that expansion.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BadSpeller
msg tools
I also am a victim of a moderator shoving my thread off into outer rim of booster forum.

Moderators, please stop this pratice.

With 4 new ship (or more) coming out every six months, the current large amount of sight traffic you are getting right now will dissappear when they find something better.

Does this mean you are going to fragment four additional fourms every six months? (i.e. 17+ sub-forums in the spring 2014)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you subscribe to the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game *family* it will give you notifications of every game's forum in that family. That way you don't have to subscribe to each individual forum, and when new expansions come out, you don't have to subscribe to those either...

-shnar
26 
 Thumb up
1.27
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
If you subscribe to the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game *family* it will give you notifications of every game's forum in that family.


That means having to sort though a ton of stuff I may not want to bother seeing.

The idea of expansions might work for other games. But in a miniature game like X-Wing it doesn't make nearly as much sense. The various expansions aren't separate games, and it is very rare that someone will be looking for information about a single ship.

Worse is each of those forms have all the various sub forms, most of which have 3 or less posts in them.

I'm assuming that these forms are set up automatically, but the mods should not be moving posts into these sub forms, because clearly next to no one uses the forms for the individual expansions.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make a bit of sense, though.

For things like reviews - someone trying to decide to pick up an expansion they see on a store shelf or not can jump right to the game expansion thread in question and pick the highest rated review for a quick read.

Having to slog through dozens and dozens of 'general game' reviews isn't helpful when trying to look for one specific expansion review.

That's true of images a bit, too.
8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BadSpeller
msg tools
XanderF wrote:


For things like reviews - someone trying to decide to pick up an expansion they see on a store shelf or not can jump right to the game expansion thread in question and pick the highest rated review for a quick read.


That is what Google is for.
The rest of us should not have to deal with it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VanorDM wrote:
shnar wrote:
If you subscribe to the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game *family* it will give you notifications of every game's forum in that family.


That means having to sort though a ton of stuff I may not want to bother seeing.

But isn't that what the OP is asking for? To see all the discussions related to the miniatures (i.e. expansions) of this game?

-shnar
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:
VanorDM wrote:
shnar wrote:
If you subscribe to the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game *family* it will give you notifications of every game's forum in that family.


That means having to sort though a ton of stuff I may not want to bother seeing.

But isn't that what the OP is asking for? To see all the discussions related to the miniatures (i.e. expansions) of this game?

-shnar

The front page for the game has a much more cluttered design, with a lot of information other than what forum users are typically looking for, and accordingly it's more difficult to navigate.

It also gets (even more) confusing when people post on interactions between multiple expansions. If I'm looking for feedback on a list featuring (say) Carnor Jax, a Royal Guard Pilot, and Darth Vader, in which forum should I post? It clearly doesn't belong in either the Aces forum or the Advanced forum, but if it goes in the General forum, then anyone looking for information on Carnor Jax is going to have to split their attention between the Aces forum and the General/Strategy forum.

I'm with the OP: for this game, it doesn't really make sense to have sub-forums for each expansion.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Having to slog through dozens and dozens of 'general game' reviews isn't helpful when trying to look for one specific expansion review.


That's why there's a Review subform. If someone is looking for a review of a new ship, then ideally the reviews of the various ships should be there.

Again the idea of keeping expansions separate may make sense for other games, such as say Magic or a number of the various board games. But for a miniatures game it doesn't.

The expansions are simply additional units used in the same core game, as such all posts should be kept in the core game form.

None of the other forms for other miniature games does this. They may have subforms for the various factions, but they don't have forms for each unit that exists.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
VanorDM wrote:
shnar wrote:
If you subscribe to the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game *family* it will give you notifications of every game's forum in that family.


That means having to sort though a ton of stuff I may not want to bother seeing.

But isn't that what the OP is asking for? To see all the discussions related to the miniatures (i.e. expansions) of this game?

-shnar


No! It is not what I am asking for. I do not want to get subscription notices for every X-Wing thread. I want to be able to scan down the front page of a single X-Wing forum and open up any sub-headers that I like to peruse what has been posted since the last time I looked there.

As an experiment, I just went poking at the list of expansion packs, followed the first on the list, the A-Wing. It has it's own forum and 2 converstations have been moved there. Holy Bat-dung! That's just crazy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. Never bothered me since I just subscribe to the whole family. I want to see the new threads of all the games, and the threads I don't care about I just mark as 'read' and so get no further subscriptions from it.

-shnar
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
I'm with the OP: for this game, it doesn't really make sense to have sub-forums for each expansion.

Me, too. "Expansion" just doesn't have the same meaning it does with other games. With BSG, for instance, if I'm using the Daybreak expansion, so is everyone I play with. With X-Wing, I can use the B-wing expansion, and my opponent certainly doesn't have to. We're still both playing X-Wing.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed: there is no sense for most of the discussions here to be fragmented out to what's already 12+ sub-forums.

The only thing that really makes sense to port over would be pictures/articles on modding or repainting a particular ship type, I guess.

But even an article about the Lambda's playability in particular can't occur in a vacuum: it has be relative to the other ships that the Lambda can fly with and against, and as such is a discussion about the current state of the game generally and is best suited to the Core Game forums.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BadSpeller wrote:
XanderF wrote:


For things like reviews - someone trying to decide to pick up an expansion they see on a store shelf or not can jump right to the game expansion thread in question and pick the highest rated review for a quick read.


That is what Google is for.
The rest of us should not have to deal with it.


Seriously, I do get where you are coming from - I've submitted a ton of great pics for the game that I feel haven't really been seen as widely as I'd expect (based on rather low thumb counts compared to other pics I've taken that aren't nearly as good)...and that may well be as a result of them being posted to a specific-expansion rather than the base-game.

I mean, really, this one...



...is twice as good as this one...



??

I don't think so - IMHO, they are both pretty much the same. However, one is posted in a 'base game' section, and the other in an 'expansion' section.

Still, I do understand the reason for the segregation.

IMHO, the best way to handle that would be more cross-linking. IE., I could post a pic in a game expansion if that's where it primarily felt appropriate, but 'tag' components of the image as being from different expansions, or even the base game, and the resulting image would be linked into the 'browse' list for all relevant pages (with an option to filter out images that are so cross-linked if a user wants to have such a view).

Ditto with reviews, session reports, etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Still, I do understand the reason for the segregation.

I don't. I understand that there's an explanation, but I don't accept it as a reason. It's too silly to me. This is one game, not twelve.
12 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
haslo wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Still, I do understand the reason for the segregation.

I don't. I understand that there's an explanation, but I don't accept it as a reason. It's too silly to me. This is one game, not twelve.


ditto. there's not much point just discussing one pack by itself in a vacuum, without mentioning the stuff from other packs / the rest of the game
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just posting my agreement about how unnecessary it is to have a myriad of sub-forums and web pages that are dedicated to a particular expansion, especially as more expansions are released for this game. Other X-Wing dedicated sites don't differentiate their forum by miniature. I'd think that it would also be less work for the mods to not have to police this.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
method erik
msg tools
Yeah I agree a total waste of time and in my opinion devalues these forums. After reading this thread I clicked into the yt-1300 forum and found some awesome variant ship pictures I had not seen before. They should be on this forum.
Who wants to click around on a ton of subforums?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VanorDM wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Having to slog through dozens and dozens of 'general game' reviews isn't helpful when trying to look for one specific expansion review.


That's why there's a Review subform. If someone is looking for a review of a new ship, then ideally the reviews of the various ships should be there.

Again the idea of keeping expansions separate may make sense for other games, such as say Magic or a number of the various board games. But for a miniatures game it doesn't.

The expansions are simply additional units used in the same core game, as such all posts should be kept in the core game form.

None of the other forms for other miniature games does this. They may have subforms for the various factions, but they don't have forms for each unit that exists.


Dust Tactics does. But it is a rather stupid thing to do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not hard to subscribe to all the expansions. Two minutes of your time. And they're not that busy so it's not going to spam you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
It's not hard to subscribe to all the expansions. Two minutes of your time. And they're not that busy so it's not going to spam you.

It has nothing to do with either spam or the effort.

It has to do with the fact that subforums are nonsensical in the context of a game like X-wing.

There will *never* be a situation in which, e.g., the Millennium Falcon can be in a tactical discussion that completely ignores the TIE Interceptor. So which subforum does that discussion go in?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
to add on, even looking at the ship itself, you have to discuss things from all over the place.

eg. gunner & weapons engineer are from the Slave I, recon spec and the other newer crews are from the HWK. then you have the elite pilot talents, experthandling from Xwing expansion, swarm tactics from TIEadv, determination and marksmanship from core set, adrenaline rush from TIEbomber, missiles from Awing, etcetc
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.