Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I went into my 2nd OP Month 1 event last night. I decided to try a different strategy of primarily just blowing the other guys up. I went with a completely different list and strategy:

Ship #1: IRW Valdore
Captain: Toreth
Elite: Counter Attack

Ship #2: IRW Khazara
Captain: Donatra
Crew: Parem
Elite: Counter Attack

Ship #3: Krayton
Captain: Mirok

The build was 100 SP.

My first Month 1 OP event I ran the Enterprise-D with heavy crew, Kraxon (with Donatra and the Counter Attack combo), and Apnex with a generic captain and Bochra/Parem (to take DS9 ASAP).

I wanted to do something different and see how that worked. I ran the Romulan ships to see how I felt with a heavy cloak fleet (in anticipation for the Month 2 OP event). I decided to run the Krayton for more firepower at a cheap cost. This is opposed to running the Apnex with crew to run at DS9 like I did last month. With the ability, the Krayton gets 4 attack die by itself, and then gets a 5th if it stays in range of Donatra. It's a lot more stout than a Klingon D7. As far as captains, Mirok works perfectly with the Krayton's ability. In case your shields are destroyed, Mirok allows you to repair one so you can use the ability again.

Picard was on nearly every fleet except for mine, and even on off faction ships/fleets. I did not want to give up my Counter Attack(s) to upgrade Toreth or Mirok. Plus, Mirok's ability works almost like an extra action if you stay within range 1 of a friendly ship, and that worked better with the Krayton.

I again ran into the same issue as I did with my 1st Month 1 OP Event. Out of the 3 people I played, only 1 out of the 3 had most of the ships and had played extensively enough to do any real game planning with their fleet.

If I remember correctly, these were the fleets I played:
Round 1: 2 ships: Enterprise-D (Picard with heavy TOS crew), Valdore (Toreth), RIS Apnex
- I blew the Apnex out immediately. The Valdore was right in front of me with all 3 of my ships in formation, so it went out ASAP next. I don't recall how I took the Enterprise out.
- No one made a run at DS9.

Round 2: 2 ships: Enterprise-D (5 SP Photon Torpedoes and heavy crew) and Khazara (Toreth).
- For some reason his Enteprise blew past me through the minefield, so it was 3 on 1. I took out the Khazara easily with a 3-on-1 attack round and Target Lock rerolling. Once the Khazara went out, I easily maneuvered the rest of the fleet back around. I had the Enterprise pinned in the corner and it could only use its 360 attack before I finished it off.
- At some point I used Parem from the Khazara to take Sulu out of his Enterprise-D so I could out the Enterprise easier.
- I took DS9 as a token maneuver with the Krayton/Mirok one of the last turns.

Round 3: 2 ships: Enterprise-D (Picard with Data, O'Brien, and a couple other crew I can't remember) and Maht-H'A (Nu'Daq, Klag, Advanced Weapons System, and something else).
- Because of how he set up the minefields, I altered my strategy and ran all 3 of my ships directly for DS9 turn 1. On turn 2, he turned the Enterprise-D and made a run, while the Maht-H'A was making a loop towards my starting area (with nothing there). Turn 2? I beamed Parem over to DS9 to take it, and turn 3 (just to be safe) I beamed Mirok over from the Krayton. His Enterprise-D/Picard for some reason was headed straight down the chute of the one pylon one turn, and then the next turn went almost straight to where it was in the range of that pylon, the station's 360 center pylon firing arc, and all 3 of my ships that were within range 1 of the Enterprise. Needless to say Enterprise-D did not last. Because of the odd position the Maht'H-A was in, I had to look my 3 ships back around (after beaming Mirok back to the Krayton). I did take out the Maht-H'A a couple turns later.
- As stated above, I took DS9 and utilized it to take out the Enterprise-D

Again, I feel as if I perhaps didn't learn as much as I had hoped, due to the lack of in depth builds by others. However, here are a few pointers:
- Again, Captain skill makes a much more significant difference than an upgrade. A good captain that takes SP points away from an upgrade is MUCH better than a cheap or generic captain and an upgrade.
- Donatra needs to be on every fleet, especially 3+ ship builds, and even in out-of-faction ones. I saw several people using Toreth instead, even though they had Donatra.
- 3 ships is the way to go
- Don't be afraid to take an auxiliary power token if it gets you into a firing solution. Firing solution > action. I got in great position many times with either 1 or 2 reverse or a "loop" maneuver, as opposed to trying to constantly circle around.
- Counter Attack is still an effective deterrent, if not an offensive weapon. Although I did not attack with it as much, it still made people second guess their targets more often than not.

If I was playing in a third event (which I MIGHT this weekend if I am bored enough to drive 2.5 hours), I am going to play a D7 swarm. This is not necessarily because I think it will win. This is because we all seem to have questions as to it's effectiveness, given the correct build. I already have 2 Kraytons, so I'd rather see how that works than make a full-fledged effort to build a fleet to be 'assured' of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. Why did you choose the Khazara over a second generic Valdore? The ship seems pretty weak if it can't get a cloaked attack in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Meilleur
msg tools
Yeah, I also am more a fan of Having a generic Valdore instead of the Khazara...
I'm glad the group at our store is more 50/50 of competitive and non-competitive players! Thanks for the write-up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan S
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report - thanks for the info. I'm playing in my 2nd OP month 1 this Saturday.

I agree about Donatra - I love her! I'd also suggest you throw a Tactical Officer on the Valdore. I don't think I ever have less than 4 hits/crits every single attack with that combo, and often more than that if I can manage 6-7 dice for the attack. So far, that's the only upgrade that's an auto-include for me if I'm flying at least 1 Romulan ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the Khazara over a generic Valdore for a few reasons:
- I never have a problem attacking while cloaked to get the extra +1, which puts its on par with a generic Valdore
- Then it gets +2 shields
- Also, it gets the 2-backwards maneuver, whereas the Valdore can only pull that 3 U-turn move. Plus it has no red maneuvers on the 3 left or right turn (only white). The hard turns and the reverses got me more, better firing positions. Therefore, it's more maneuverable where it counts.

To me, +2 shields and the increased maneuverability is worth every bit of the 2 more SPs over a 2nd generic Valdore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:
I used the Khazara over a generic Valdore for a few reasons:
- I never have a problem attacking while cloaked to get the extra +1, which puts its on par with a generic Valdore
- Then it gets +1 shields
- Also, it gets the 2-backwards maneuver, whereas the Valdore can only pull that 3 U-turn move. Plus it has no red maneuvers on the 3 left or right turn (only white). The hard turns and the reverses got me more, better firing positions. Therefore, it's more maneuverable where it counts.

To me, +1 shields and the increased maneuverability is worth every bit of the 2 more SPs over a 2nd generic Valdore.

I don't have my cards in front of me, but doesn't it have +2 shields over the generic Valdore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacullu64 wrote:
I don't have my cards in front of me, but doesn't it have +2 shields over the generic Valdore?

Yep it's +2 shields on the Khazara from the generic Valdore. I don't know why I was typing +1s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've got the points, stealing the Advanced Weapon System from the Klingons is great for the Khazara.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
If you've got the points, stealing the Advanced Weapon System from the Klingons is great for the Khazara.

I did not have room. I'd either have to give up Counter Attacks or downgrade the Krayton/Mirok to an Apnex, neither of which I was going to do. Also, Counter Attack and Advanced Weapons System are counter-productive to include together (using Advanced Weapons System for 1 attack is essentially made pointless by a Counter Attack that turn too).

About the only thing I would consider giving the Counter Attacks up for would be Tactical Officers, but I'm not even going to test that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.