Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Who do you most watch or read when looking for a review of a game and is it video or text?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
He's said lots of times that he's not a reviewer, but I find Rodney Smith's Watch it Played series a big help. I don't need someone to give me their impressions of how a game plays if I can watch an entire game played out in front of me. Aside from that, I love Shut Up & Sit Down, I just wish they had the time to produce more videos.

Generally prefer video but only because I can have it running in the background while I do other stuff, so it's a more efficient way of getting a number of different viewpoints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extremely hard to choose since every reviewer has strong points.

I like Tom Vassel because his reviews are just fun to watch. I don't always agree, but I enjoy his enthusiasm.

I like Joel Eddy because he brings out the atmosphere of a game. I also like that he reviews a lot of games others may not review (under the radio types of games).

Rahdo is fantastic because he teaches the game so well. If you have questions from the rule book, his walkthrough genreally clears things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel
Joel Eddy
Undead Viking
Calandale

I prefer watching videos first to get an idea of what everything looks like in motion and how the game looks set up. Then I read text reviews to get more opinions on the game's pros and cons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say who's the best:

Tom Vasel - somehow omnipresent and as such hard to ignore. I don't even know where he takes the time for the stuff he does. I really enjoyed Eric Summerers Top 100, btw

Calandale - a HUGE effort. This one deserves respect for the sheer output of video material. Also, his ramblings have a soothing quality to them that I do enjoy occasionally. However, I only watch the reviews and not the DARs because... well I've got a family and work and... stuff to do

Rahdo - I like that one as well because of the rules explanations and quick summaries. I can't watch him too much because he makes me actually buy games that I hadn't even considered.

One not yet mentioned yet if I'm not mistaken:
Hello Gregor - I really DO like his videos because they have a very unique artsy feel to them.

UFBRT - Hilarious!

Scott Nicholson - just a genuinley nice personality. It shows that you're dealing with a professor here but that is a good thing

There certainly are others (Undead Viking, Drive-through etc. but those haven't really clicked with me too much or I haven't watched enough of them to really enjoy the reviews) but the ones above are, for me, the top of the pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Drake, of Drakes Flames.

His sense of humor works well with his more opinionated reviewing style. Plus our taste in games tends to line up more often then not.

Tom Vassal is also pretty good, I tend to use his videos to introduce new games to my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Rahdo. The vast majority of my gaming time (80%+) is with my spouse, so I love that he only does two-player games. We also have exactly the same taste as Richard and Jen: non-confrontational, 1-2 hour, medium-weight Euros.

2) Ricky Royal. His videos are the only true substitute for reading the rules, IMO. So clear, so detailed, and quite entertaining to watch.

3) Tom Vasel. I don't always agree with him, and he likes very different games than I do, but it's nice to get a quick overview of a game in ten minutes, even if you don't really get a sense of the rules.

4) Joel Eddy. He's a little monotone at times, but he always has interesting things to say about the game. Probably one of the most "intellectual" of the video reviewers I've seen. (I do like Geoff Gamble and Geoff Engelstein as well for the same reasons).

5) Undead Viking. A little long and rambly, but I appreciate the level of detail and comprehensiveness of his rules explanations. He also seems like a really nice guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Video : the Shut Up & Sit Down guys - not only because of their splendid British humour, but also because I usually agree with their take on a game.

Audio : Donald "the mean man of podcasting" Dennis of the On Board Games podcast. He can point to the real problem with a game with surgical precision. It's then up to you to determine if you can live with that or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
One thing that I think all reviewers could do a little better is to give some impression of how much they've played the game (and maybe under what circumstances - i.e. group size). Sometimes you know you hate a game the first time you play it, other times you might play two or three average games and suddenly it clicks and you love it. Other times it goes the opposite way, you love the game the first dozen times then it becomes samey and dull. First impressions are okay as far as they go, but they're not always the final word on whether you'll enjoy a game (or, more importantly, whether you should buy said game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the Shut Up & Sit Down reviews as entertainment, but I don't agree with their critical judgements very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jenkins
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Hunky-dory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel for a quick overview of a game. Joel Eddy and UndeadViking for more in-depth overviews. Michael Wißner, Richard Ham and Rodney Smith for full explanations/playthroughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am disgusted that no one mentioned ender until now. His written reviews are without equal. Rahdo is responsible for half my collection. Clawland (if I spelled it wrong ill correct it) is a great video reviewer as well.kerbster76 was the reviewer I most watched when I first got into the gaming hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Rahdo is fantastic because he teaches the game so well. If you have questions from the rule book, his walkthrough genreally clears things up.

Unfortunately, my first impression of Rahdo wasn't a good one. It was for The Great Zimbabwe. He asked a basic question that is clearly answered directly from the rules, as he was posting a video. I mentioned that if he was getting some basic parts of the game wrong, then some of the more complicated parts of the game may be out of his league. He told me no, that he fully understood the complicated aspects of the game.

On to the video, I watched it and was shocked at all the "wrong" in it. clearclaw even made a list of 8 errors in play, or statements made by the reviewer.

I decided to give the reviewer another shot, and watched the Antiquity video, and in the first 3 minutes or so, he got a rule wrong about having to man storage, and I just stopped. I don't see a point in a teaching / run through video, to get so much wrong. In his defense, in Antiquity, he did mention that he was unsure of the rule about manning a storage building. I guess I just figured that it would be super easy to look the rule up, and edit that out of the video... that's the point of video, right?

To answer the original question - my favorite review of all time, has to be Scott Nicholson (snicholson). Entertaining, informative, and enough information to determine if I am interested in a game or not. Both his formal reviews, which he has not done for years, or his In-Play videos, have all been amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I am my favorite reviewer. No one knows what I like better than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I check out if there is a Dice Tower video. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willett
United States
Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually start with Tom Vasel to get a brief overview and look at the components. If I am still interested in the game I then move to Rodney Smith's Watch it Played to get a sense on how it works. If all goes well and bank account > 0 and wife approval = yes then purchase. If bank account =< 0 then wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel is very entertaining and outside of his love of Cosmic Encounter, our game tastes are similar.

Ryan Metzler does an excellent job of explaining a game and pointing out the things that he likes and dislikes.

Richard Ham's reviews are great for learning a game. I always watch his videos before I purchase to make sure it is something I might actually like to play rather than just the "buzz" around a new game.

Joel Eddy does a great job of getting to the nuances of game. I like when he points out similarities between a new game and one that is already out there.

I like a lot of the same games that Undead Viking does, but his videos can be really long-winded and rambling. I still watch them, but I tend to click through to just the parts about the game he is reviewing.

You really can't go wrong with any of these guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a really tough question. Like pretty much everyone else in this thread I enjoy many different reviewers and can't say one is my favorite over another. I do equally enjoy Tom Vasel, Rahdo, Rodney Smith, Undead Viking, Rickey Royal. I also like the Starlight Citadel ladies (it doesn't hurt they are attractive eitherwhistle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
MARCO ARNAUDO!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel Eddy
Radho
Undead Viking
Calandale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Kratzer
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started doing the video review thing with my son this summer. I think we started in more the style of Tom and the Dice Tower stuff, but we are finding out own stride, and getting to be more of a SUSD style.... not really, but its what I wish we were. But really I think we are starting to be a little more "us". I think that's because Vasel is just the standard it seems and he has a ton of imitators in his style. Its a good and efficient way to do reviews though.

That said, its been kind of nice to break form a little and get a bit goofy at times, but I understand many times people will watch because they want to get right at it-- and get info on the games. Other times people want entertainment.

Anyway, all that to say, Tom and all those guys do a great job, but Quinns and co. over at SUSD just have so much work in everything they do. There are so many edits in all those videos, and wardrobe changes and etc. They do amazing work. So that is probably my favorite at this point. This is why they put out about 10% of what Tom does too. I imagine they have nearly as many hours in on their work though. I mean, Tom is a machine, but those guys are doing great stuff too.

Hey also, shameless plug time! If you want to see our stuff we are here, or on Youtube. We aren't nearly as good as the other guys in this thread, but man are we having fun. I really started doing it to increase my son's interest in games and its really worked. He's become my best (read most fun) gaming partner as a result. I really don't mean to be a shill, but its such a rush for us in the beginning stages of what we are doing to get subscribers and views.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shutupsitdown down is my favorite to watch and even read
Tom (and better yet something with Sam and Zee) best basic intro to something I've not heard of
Will Wheaton's tabletop is where I'll go to convince the casual gamer boyfriend that he'll like something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delinear wrote:
One thing that I think all reviewers could do a little better is to give some impression of how much they've played the game (and maybe under what circumstances - i.e. group size). Sometimes you know you hate a game the first time you play it, other times you might play two or three average games and suddenly it clicks and you love it.

To be honest, I suspect they don't do this because they haven't played the game a lot. Certainly this is an issue with new games. They want the review out there ASAP while the game is new, but they don't have time to play it a lot first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to listen to the longer reviews done by Undead Viking and Calandale during my lunch break when I have an hour to waste. I don't consider Ricky Royal or Rodney Smith to be reviewers. I think there is a big difference between doing reviews and doing walkthroughs. They are both useful, but they are also both different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to watch the Dice Tower (all reviewers), Board to Death, and Starlit Citadel video reviews, plus
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
, and
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
most of the time.

HOWEVER, I find playthrough videos to have the most influence on my decision to buy a game. Of these
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
, N/A and
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
have been the most helpful to me in order to get a "feel" of the game. Recently
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
have also been contributing a lot of playthrough vids as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.