Subject: Number of core sets for a newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francois-Xavier
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about getting the LoTR LCG for a while now, and I was wondering what you need to get started. Loads of people seem to imply you need two core sets, is that really the case? Or can you just start with one core set ( and possibly a few expansions) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lord of the Rings
One core set is enough. However, while your decks may include up to three copies of a single card, there are cards in the core set which are in two or one copy. That's the reason why people say that it is good to own two core sets. Well that, and an extra set of dials and tokens, should you want to try the 4-player game. But regarding the cards in 1 and 2 copies, if you are willing to proxy them, then it is a non-issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lord of the Rings
You don't need 2 cores at all. In fact, a good 70% of the cards from a second core are wasted. I only have 2 sets because I bought one for my son and he didn't really want it so I took it back and integrated it with my set. When you deck build, you cannot have more than 3 of the same kind of card in your deck. The core doesn't come with 3 of every card (FFG opted for more variety than completeness), so all a second core does is fill in a handful of those cards. Instead of a core, get expansions (all the expansions have 3 of each card).

Get just one core and then depending on your mood, some of the expansions. If you liked the books, go for the two Hobbit expansions, or the new FotR expansion. Neither of these box expansions have 'cycles', the smaller expansions, so they feel 'complete' when playing with just the core (well, the Hobbit ones do, not sure about FotR as I haven't played it yet). Otherwise, I'd get all the Mirkwood Cycle expansions, there are some good cards there.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladimir17 wrote:
Well that, and an extra set of dials and tokens, should you want to try the 4-player game.

Oh, I guess this is true. It's kind of nice having the dials for 3/4 players. However, they definitely are not necessary (before our second core we just kept track of our Threat with a pen and paper).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd much rather spend the money for the second set on some of the expansions, that gives you much more bang for the buck.

Furthermore I think that the game can become too easy if you get more copies of some of the rare cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is perfectly fine with one core. I will never buy another. Sure, there are a few cards with only a single copy, but that doesn't matter overall.

All you need to get started is a single core set. I bought one, along with several adventure packs and The Hobbit pack, two weeks ago, and have yet to use even a single expansion card. I've played 18 times using just the core set so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To get started and get a good feel for the gameplay, just buy one core set. The first adventure (Passage Through Mirkwood) can be completed easily with just the starter decks. If you like the game, and especially if you want to do some effective deck building, either buy more core sets or proxy the cards.

I really tried to hold out for a long time on buying another core set, not because of the cost, but because the idea of having a bunch of "wasted" cards really bugged me. I ended up making proxies and I'm really happy with them. It's really nice to have three copies of cards like Unexpected Courage, Steward of Gondor (only one can be in play, but you want more in your deck so you can increase your chances of drawing it earlier), etc.

I wouldn't buy more expansions until you decide you like the game. The reason for getting more core sets is to have multiple copies of certain cards, rather than having enough cards to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One core set is fine. If you like the game, and want to play with 3-4 players, or compete in tournaments, a second core set may be worth getting later (or get one of the other players to buy a core set).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois-Xavier
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just got myself the core set and I've just finished reading the rules. Looking forward to my first play. The artwork is really great!
Thanks for et advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLean
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
So, do I need two core sets for 4 players? What is it that I would be missing if I have only 1 core set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OberonViking wrote:
So, do I need two core sets for 4 players? What is it that I would be missing if I have only 1 core set?

You're missing two sets of Threat dials. You can easily replace that with pencil+paper.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main problem would be with deck building. Making four multi-sphere decks from a single core set is hopeless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLean
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
dcorban wrote:
The main problem would be with deck building. Making four multi-sphere decks from a single core set is hopeless.

Would that be fixed by picking up the Hobbit Saga instead of a second core?
Would one core be fine if we built four single-sphere decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play with the starter decks. That's a lot of fun for quite some time...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the hobbit sets would be sufficient, due to the abundance of unique allies. There are only 27 unique cards across both sets.

If you were to use one sphere per deck, the you would be able to play. The quality of your decks would be relatively low, since you couldn't leave out many cards. You would certainly need to not follow the 50 card rule. If you did, your decks would have to include pretty much every card you own, and they might be fairly boring to play.

In short, it could be done, but I don't see why. Even FLGS price is $30-35. Get one of the other players to chip in, or buy their own cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.