Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
This game sounds right up my alley for solitaire play (great reviews, love the theme, the rules look manageable, etc.), with one possible exception: play time.

I've found that the solitaire games I play most, like Friday and Ghost Stories, can be played in under an hour -- much less for Friday, sometimes much less for Ghost Stories. Games like Arkham Horror and Thunderbolt Apache Leader require a longer time commitment, which means they sit on my desk for days/weeks as I chip away at them; I don't find that as satisfying, so I find myself not playing them.

Can SE4X get down to about an hour within a couple of solo plays? Are some solitaire scenarios better than others (including those from the expansion) for playing a relatively short game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you learn the rules (which doesn't take a whole lot of time in itself), you can probably get the doomsday solitaire scenario done in about an hour, with practice.

Honestly though, it's not really an hourlong-type game. Certainly you can get a game done in an evening, but an hour is probably pushing it and rushing through the fun parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On your first game I would allow at least 3 hours. With practice you will work it down, but I would never think of it as an hour long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you could comfortably play it in one hour, It would probably not have enough depth for me.

I like that it is a big game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My second try at the Doomsday solitaire scenario took me an hour and a half.

After mastering it, I personally want a richer/deeper solitaire challenge. I bet the other solitaire scenarios run at least that long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to win a solitaire scenario in under an hour. Of course I've lost plenty within that time frame
The small DM scenario might be possible to win in that time frame with some practice, though even the large DM scenario takes longer.
I agree with Chris and Paul that it just isn't that kind of game.
Usually I complete a solo game in an evening or two (3-4 hours total)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
Much appreciated! Thank you all for your feedback.

For the time being I'll file SE4X under "Buy this when circumstances change," as I'd prefer to appreciate it for what it is than try to make it something it isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.