Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Serge Gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started to think of the game design for Class Prez!, it was originally intended to be used is as an entry for a contest on Board Game Geek for 2 player games.  I had wanted to create a game that was quick, simple and fun, yet enough strategy to make you stop and think before you 'place your pieces' so to speak.  With some basic cost mechanics, limited resources and special actions to manoeuvre those resources around, Class Prez! was born.

However, this caused an opportunity in the form of a choice:  should I still use this game as an entry for a contest or could I use it to learn about the card/board gaming industry and try to publish it myself?  I figured it was worth looking into and learning in the process...

... and what a learning experience this has been (and continues to be).  I knew I had a great little game.  At first, it had some balance issues but with continuous playtesting and a great group of people to lend their experience with gaming and their feedback, I was able to fine tune it.  I then offered a local artist, Ingham Ramsay, the opportunity to do the artwork for the game and explained that it was supposed to be campy and satirical (hey, since when is high school a 'bed of roses'?) to compliment it.  Ingham did an excellent job to capture the feel that I had intended for the game.

So, the artwork complete and game mechanics flowed, as well as some base quotes from some game manufacturers and shopping for reward incentives,  I decided to try to launch a Kickstarter campaign.  I was aiming to launch it early, hoping for some success so that I could offer it during Can-Games next May.  I dreamed big, sending out the links to the preview for the game and asked people to share it thinking by putting it on BGG and Facebook, I should be OK.

... Again, learning experience.  I had started looking into getting the game reviewed, advertising and even looking into running contests but I did this the day 'after' the launch, not realizing the planning and waiting times it takes to get that up and running.  Those of you who have already experienced this, please spare your hand as the back of my head is already bruised and imprinted with many a handprints...

So with this, it is with a bit more experience that I am 'cancelling' (postponing) the current Kickstarter campaign and will be re-launchin later this year.  By then, I will be more organized with advertisements, the contest I was hoping for, reviews and previews as well as the graphic design will be completed so I will be able to showcase the game, not only the base art.  Who knows, I may even be more comfortable in front of the camera for the video next time around...

Thank you all for dropping by.  

Serge G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.