Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that having High Frontier plus colonization expansion leaves you without the expansion sun-cycle chart which differs from colonization (though I don't have the legacy one for side-by side comparison).

Is there a place to grab the legacy sun-cycle?
Are any of the other tables on the colonization back page different in relevant ways that impact Legacy play?

Can any experienced players comment on pro-con of just using colonization sun cycle with Legacy rules?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During playtesting, I was playing a lot of Colonisation-without-modules, so playing the legacy game with the newer updates to the rules (solar cycle, two outposts, multiple hand cards etc.)

I think it works fine, and I prefer this to the older cycle - it removes the weirdness around the flexibility of time, for one thing. (e.g., "Someone's heading towards a comet! Let's launch a rocket in that direction to move it out of their reach!")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankM wrote:

Take a look at any of the PBF games - they usually include graphics with the sunspot cycle and the politics layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
Oh, you'd like me to connect the dots for you, lead you from A to B to C, so that your puny mind could comprehend. How boring.
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankM wrote:
You can print out (and cut, laminate, etc.) this:

There was a higher-resolution version floating around here somewhere on BGG, but I can't find it so it must be tucked away in someone's personal gallery.

Quote:
Are any of the other tables on the colonization back page different in relevant ways that impact Legacy play?
The free market value for cards are now based on the political track position instead always being a straight 3WT.

The ESA political ability lets you take 2 WT instead of 1 WT (to match the updated Income Op rule), and the PRC political power is completely different (and Free Market values are reduced to 1 rather than cut off entirely).

The point values on the resource track are all higher, and there's a column added for "D" sites (which you can ignore if you prefer to keep them as "wild" site like in Legacy).

Quote:
Can any experienced players comment on pro-con of just using colonization sun cycle with Legacy rules?
I've only played using it once so far (solo), but so far I prefer the new one for the reasons Dom mentioned.

One slight advantage of the Legacy cycle is that it doesn't move until players start flying around hitting triangle burns, so you have several more turns before you have to worry about getting slapped with budget cuts, but if that's a major issue you can easily house rule that so the cycle doesn't move for the first few turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting about the time management, do you end up with a similar event frequecy/player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Williams
United States
Gahanna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankM wrote:

For new players, I'm going to teach basic colonization but I won't include freighter, colonist, bernal, GW thruster, no Endgame modules....

i.e. a Legacy game with ability re-order movement and operations. And use the new sunspot tables instead of the legacy version. I like having events happen on a specific schedule rather than players doing random sail movements to attempt to trigger events randomly. The downside is that early on there are greater risks of budget cuts and pad explosions that are only triggered in the legacy game when others get moving.

The two rules I've not decided on where I stand for 'legacy games': removing the production limit for black cards (instead of 1 per factory), and Economic inflation (variable free market profit when selling a hand card/income op being 2 WT vs. 1 WT).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuelw3 wrote:
The two rules I've not decided on where I stand for 'legacy games': removing the production limit for black cards (instead of 1 per factory), and Economic inflation (variable free market profit when selling a hand card/income op being 2 WT vs. 1 WT).

I'm not entirely sure either at this point. I personally really like the game this way, but it does change the dynamics significantly. I can certainly see arguments for keep the economy and black cards the way they were, and they do make some things easier.

Mostly, I've been doing this as a way to build people up to playing Colonisation, so for that it makes sense to keep the rules as consistent as possible.

On a related note, the new quick start rules (Idea turns) are a massive improvement. We rarely use them, but that's a whole lot more than we used the old rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.