One of the prettiest parts of the game is the board and the ships but its almost useless to game play as well.
The goal of the variant is to speed set up time and save space and expose the elements of the game that are actually fun and elimination the fluff elements.
A opaque dice bag.
For each player: A percentile dice set or pen and paper/player
Game components used
All game components except the board, the boats, and the player markers.
Game set up changes.
1) The Harbor markers are all put in the bag.
2) Draw one token out of the bag. This become the "blank" Harbor marker for this game. (make a note of this game's "blank" token and put it back in the bag).
3) A home port is still determined in the normal way but the ships are not used.
4) The players keeps track of ducats available using the percentile dice or with pen and paper. (pen and paper or dice are used instead of the board for every instance of tracking ducats)
Game rule changes
When sails are revealed during the main phase instead of moving the boat and picking up harbor marker, draw from the bag a number of harbor markers = to 1 + the number of sails revealed, I.e. if two sails are revealed draw three harbor markers.
You must keep any one of your drawn harbor markers except any of the "blank" harbor markers which are immediately put back in the bag. The chosen harbor marker, becomes your active harbor marker. If only "blank" harbor markers were drawn you do not have a active harbor marker till the next time you draw.
The compass harbor marker, when it is not the "blank" harbor marker, allows the player to immediately look in the bag and take any non "blank" harbor marker from the bag.
All other rules remain unchanged.
Game play changes
+ A slight element of luck is added.
+ The set collection aspect of the game is now the focus. And the game turns into a pocket/ travel size game.
+ Playtime and set up time is shorten
+ Money management is actually easier.
- The slight player interaction on the board is removed (in all the times I played the vanilla game the actual choice a ship had to make had only minuscule affect on the game)
- the cool ship models aren't used.
- Last edited Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:34 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:30 pm