Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

I'm continuing work on Epoch University. I've gotten many things down fairly well I think, and it's quite fun IMO. However, I've gotten the point where I am looking to add new win conditions, as well as new lose conditions.

My current idea is this:
Instead of killing all of the monsters, you can choose to close the time gates, causing the minions to sucked back through the time rift and go away. This would be a delicate balance, because if you didn't kill anything and just went straight for it, you might end up being overwhelmed. There are two different interactions on the time gate-- One is to close it, this takes one turn and stops monsters coming out. Then you can spent a second turn Fixing the time gate. If all the gates are FIXED all the monsters go away. It could end up being quicker, but while you're sealing gates the monsters on the board are running rampant in the school.

During the boss battle, this would be too easy, my idea is this: There will be the boss monster's target (Rapunzel for Mother Gothel, for example) and the boss monster will be trying to kidnap that character. If you can pick up the target and move it into a time gate, closing it behind the target, you will win, as the boss has failed its goal. However, you'll move slower because you're carrying a person in most cases. Additionally, if you're carrying the target, the boss is going straight for you every turn. If you get knocked out, the target is right there in front of the boss, ready for him or her to attack.

There are different roles in the game, so obviously some will be more useful for closing gates and carrying targets than others. You probably don't want your main damage dealer spending 6 turns sealing 3 gates rather than killing some stuff on the board. That's better set for your healer. But if you get into trouble, your healer is preoccupied. It will be a delicate balance. Here's the question:

Do you think that second win condition is enough? It fits the theme VERY well, and would not feel as though it were a pasted on alternate win condition, which is the most important part to me.

EDIT: I didn't explain the title. The win scenario is essentially the same because you're just trying to beat the enemy. There is simply a second way to do so now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Bracegirdle of Hardbottle
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmb
I like the idea of multiple ways to win with opportunity costs for each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
I like the idea of multiple ways to win with opportunity costs for each.

Do you think that two is enough of a multiple, if they both are heavily tied into the theme and make sense, or would you rather see even more choices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd prefer 3, as that presents a solid "shape" of options. Making a binary decision can be far easier than having to weigh a third direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had another idea for a third, thanks for the suggestion!

In the game, if a monster gets to a building that's attracting it (through noise level) it goes in and ravages the building. An alternative win option could be locking all of the buildings. If the monsters can't get into the buildings, it is no longer really the students' problems, the monsters would just escape to the streets. Perhaps this grants you less experience, but an easy out of the combat in case you have a bad day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.