Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Indestructible Lini rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I finished my solo Seelah playthrough for now and I was looking for another character to make another playthrough. And my sight fell down upon the Lini. And when I was building her starting deck, one crazy thing came to my mind. I included 4 Cures(!) as 2 Inflicts as her starting spell. This turned out crazy! I've played only through 2 basic advanture scenarios, but... oh man, this girl is resilient! Now matter how bad I rolled, no matter how down I was, I always got back up and won. In second scenario, I was beaten by Pillbug two times in a row, discarding both my hands as a result, and after that I recovered and in the end my deck was significantly larger than my discard pile! Would it be any other character(like my Seelah), they would be dead the halfway this Lini came through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A ton of cures can make you very tough...but other adventurers with other cards wouldn't have lost the fight in the first place.

Most of our plays have been 4 character. Cures are very nice to have, but the threat of running out of time has been much more of an issue than the threat of too much damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had ended up finding cures and partners that cure in my deck as Lini but I just found her damage severely lacking when I did that. I just had to rely on my friend's Ezren to deal the big damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're playing a 6-player campaign and after my character (Ezren) died and I started a new character (Sajan) solo, I now see why some people (especially those playing solo) think the game is too easy.

In Sajan's case, he can recharge all his Blessings every combat, roll a handful of d10's, and never be anywhere close to risking death (since even rolling all 1's, he can't take damage without any cards in hand) and has tons of time (30 turns to close 2 locations and find the villain, plus extra explores granted by Allies, etc). In our 6-player games, we can't afford to waste Blessings on dice, so we're often rolling a minimum number of dice and hoping for above-average results, and even then we risk running out of time.

Solo mode = easy mode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're losing that many fights and needing to heal that often, you're likely to run through the Blessings deck without winning, at least in any scenario with lots of monsters. The Poison Pill has less monsters than most, so you can probably get away with it there and still win pretty easily, but I wouldn't try that approach in some of the other scenarios.

I'd recommend trading out two of those Cures for Detect Magic. If you see what's coming, you won't need to get cured so often. You can use it to run through the location decks faster, but only when acquiring stuff that can't hurt you, and might help you win those fights. And with only a 4 to recharge (see the errata in the FAQ), you'll easily keep them in your deck.

Also, with no other combatants to help you out, Strength becomes even more useful for you, so maybe consider one of those.

But if I were starting a solo Lini now, after having played her all the way through the end of Burnt Offerings in a group of 4, I'd probably start her with 2 each of Inflict, Cure, and Detect Magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree multiple cures with Lini is pretty ridiculous, almost broken, although I never tried solo with all 4. I did solo with 3, and a 2-man with Lem where we each had 2 cures, and both times seemed to be plenty. You can keep using blessings all the time since you'll be curing them back anyway, so shouldn't ever fail a check, and can explore multiple times a turn. If you come across the non-basic divine attack spell (holy light?), I'd swap one of your cures for that, or for Aid. If you're worried about using fewer cures, then you should also consider grabbing token of rememberance and toad if you come across them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.