Hide
7 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: My games are ending too quickly! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Raynor
msg tools
Last night my wife (free peoples) and I (shadow army) finished a game in under 30minutes. My issue is, she makes it to mordor within a few turns while im still working on moving my armies to domination. I had about 4 hunt dice in the box each turn but she managed to keep her corruption low by killing off members of the fellowship. Logically I saw that the only way i could win was hit rohan and gondor. By the time she was on the last spot on the mordor track i achieved a military victory. But barely, and i was rushed into doing this.

I guess my question is why would the shadow army ever attack anything in the north? By the time you muster enough forces and move them then the fellowship will be knocking on your door in mordor. I dont see how the strategy would ever change which is keeping me from playing again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can attack up north (often called DEW for Dale, Erebor, Woodland Realm) without having to muster any extra armies. You can send up a 10 stack from Mordor and reinforce them with the Dol Goldur garrison or with Easterlings. This is a common strategy for experienced shadow players. The fact that each city/stronghold is a different nation means it's almost impossible for the free peoples to reinforce them before they get put under siege. So, you can use your army dice to attack the north while you are mustering in the south.

I'm amazed you are able to finish games in 30 minutes. You guys must be making lightning quick decisions. If you are putting 4 dice in the hunt box, she shouldn't be able to sprint to Mordor without massive corruption damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something sounds pretty weird here...

First thing which bothers me is: What's a few turns for you? Because there still is some distance to be crossed from Rivendell to Mordor... With a discovery now and then it still takes many actions to get to morder.

Next one is that when she just keeps killing members of the Fellowship she won't have many chances to activate any of the free people (except for the Elves) and by that she is inviting you to stomp her militarily.

And finally... giving up four actions when playing the shadow is a huge deal. I think the only reason why you didn't crush her earlier is that you wasted too many actions on hunting.

Edit:

The north is less attractive than the south. But that's true for both players. The Dwarves and the North (as a people) rarely see any action at all. For me this is one of the wargamey aspects of the game. Those are important strategic positions which have to be kept in mind and which bind forces. Because if one of the players leaves his/her fortresses in the north to weakly defended he's inviting his/her opponent to make a move on those.

Jim beat me to it in speed and quality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be making some rules mistakes. I would re-read the book and see if something is being done wrong. One specific one, are you remembering that if the Fellowship moves more than once per turn they get easier to spot? ie - you see them on a Hunt roll of 5+ instead of 6, then 4+, etc...? I can see how missing this would lead to easy breezy trips for Frodo.

Try not putting so many dice into the hunt early. I suggest you go with 2 for now as a default. Work on getting more dice early so you've got enough to work with. Use them to mobilize your armies and get the Free People sweating. Later once you've got more dice you can more afford to put 3-4 into the Hunt box. 4 is just way too many at that stage.

Are you using the available Hunt buffs like parking Nazgul or troops in their path? Often it's possible to spare a Nazgul when you're moving them.

How are you doing cycling through your cards? Are you playing the ones that hurt the Fellowship or are you holding them or using them for battle effects?

Anyway, something is really wrong because 30 minutes is way out of line with normal playtime. Either you're missing some rules or else the Shadow player is using his dice very poorly. By bet is a little of both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 30 minutes is quite strange. David gave you good hints to start re-reading the rules.

I want to add that in a sucessful hunt you may kill one companion, and must take the rest as corruption. Maybe she is mass-killing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes me close to 30 minutes just to set up the game. (Maybe a slight exaggeration). Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clammy721 wrote:
It takes me close to 30 minutes just to set up the game. (Maybe a slight exaggeration). Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

Nice reference

I believe that I once clocked my setup at about 11 minutes, but I've done it quite a few times and I keep the figures in separate bins of a Plano type box which helps a lot.

Normally I end up between 2-3 hours for a full game including setup/teardown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.