Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
93 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: What's the worst possible thing Fantasy Flight could do with the series? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, lets get one thing out of the way first. Lets keep this within the boundary of realistic-ish. I'd rather see answers of "wow, that would be a bad business move" then "well duh broken ships covered in poo would be terrible".

My horrible idea...Pod Racing spinoff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prequels. Especially including Jar Jar.
(Unless its a completely separate game that merely uses the same "flight path" system - but in that case I'd much rather see Battlestar Galactica)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
Booster packs containing a random assortment of pilots upgrades and/or ships.

Any type of random/blind draw type of system. Where you buy booster backs with random ships, with varying rarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knauss
United States
Winter Garden
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
Ok, lets get one thing out of the way first. Lets keep this within the boundary of realistic-ish. I'd rather see answers of "wow, that would be a bad business move" then "well duh broken ships covered in poo would be terrible".

My horrible idea...Pod Racing spinoff.

Make jar-Jar a pilot for an X-Wing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the worst thing they could do is be super slow with the wave 1 and wave 2 reprints...

But seriously, a lot of people are wanting to get this game and can't find those anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Cocquyt
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmb
Weapon Upgrade
Modification.
Increase your primary weapon value by 1.
Cost 4.

One of them comes with Tantive IV, MSRP $89.99
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
3D movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaravak wrote:
Weapon Upgrade
Modification.
Cost 4.

The completionist in me has horrible horrible not nice things to say about that.

PS: Where did you see this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaravak wrote:
Weapon Upgrade
Modification.
Cost 4.

I think the ONLY balancing factor here MIGHT be that for organized play you'd had to have purchased multiple Tantives to run more than one.

Of course, I guess much like a CCG, someone will try to "pay to win" in a way.

I wonder if there's a hard counter defensively included as well?

Edit:

Maybe only certain mods etc will be usable with the new format?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J War
United States
Aston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Worst thing they could do that would make me drop the game, is if they turned around and did a Whiz Kids, by pumping out prizes and game night kit items that aren't available to everyone that isn't willing to pay a lot on Ebay.

No rare ships, no rare cards, keep everything balanced, and never obsolete old products if can be helped. I like that their kits are tokens, and alt art cards and not game changing items. Not everyone can attend conventions, or live in areas that have game nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Elaboration:

Jar-Jar Binks: Jar-Jar gains +1 attack as long as you end all pronouns with "-sa" while talking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Prequels. Especially including Jar Jar.
(Unless its a completely separate game that merely uses the same "flight path" system - but in that case I'd much rather see Battlestar Galactica)

Not a lot of ships in Galactica though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dungeon Drop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Succumb to the power creep syndrome that plagued other games in the past, such as Star Wars Miniatures. They should never create the situation where the original wave of ships are any less valuable to run. Much better would be to keep giving new options (a la modifications, crew cards and such) for the old ships to help keep them alive and viable play options.

Also, I strongly want to see more / better campaign play options. I think the game is great, but when it just comes down to one fight after another with no overarching story/campaign play option, I think the allure starts to wear off. I would love to see the massive ships added in that really change up the game by creating extremely interesting scenario type play.

Me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
Jaravak wrote:
Weapon Upgrade
Modification.
Cost 4.

The completionist in me has horrible horrible not nice things to say about that.

Hopefully it's just an answer to the question you posed in the thread title. I can't imagine FFG would produce that upgrade, at that price point, let alone take the nakedly mercenary step of packaging a single copy with the most expensive X-wing product to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
broken ships covered in poo
oh, wait, never mind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
killerardvark wrote:
Jaravak wrote:
Weapon Upgrade
Modification.
Cost 4.

Hopefully it's just an answer to the question you posed in the thread title. I can't imagine FFG would produce that upgrade, at that price point, let alone take the nakedly mercenary step of packaging a single copy with the most expensive X-wing product to date.

I went and looked at their page that mentioned the new epic ships. I'm wondering if, maybe not that exact thing, but the X-Wing that comes with the rebel transport will have something we "gotta have". Jek Porkins and Wes Jenson are specifically mentioned along with " a wealth of new ship cards, upgrades, and missions".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ewok Hang Gliders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's already starting by having certain pilots and upgrade cards in repaint packages. It's been pointed out this was also done with Wave 1, where to get all the X-Wing pilots you needed a Core Set and an X-Wing Blister. And this is true. But the difference is they came out at the same time, and people could plan around this.

Now they are releasing repaints with new pilots and upgrades long after their most enthusiastic customers have already bought all the Tie Interceptors they'll ever want. I also vaguely recall that the GR-75 Rebel Transport will come with a repainted X-Wing with more pilots and upgrades.

It's this blurring of the lines, and creating incomplete packages that is beginning to annoy me. But we shall see how it develops. I don't play competitively, so I'm not concerned about a single upgrade card from the Rebel Transport becoming mandatory in the competitive metagame. But it rubs me the wrong way all the same.

IMHO FFG would redeem themselves if they offered these cards as Print on Demand packages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Small
msg tools
For me it's a tie between extremely out of scale capital ships like a 22 inch star destroyer and prequel stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$20 X-Wing and TIE fighters. $60 base sets.

I can imagine everything going up in price once the Transport and Tantive IV come out. They should keep the base set and those two iconic craft as inexpensive as possible to bring new folks into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxam wrote:

And BSG makes a passing nod to real-world physics. And even a passing nod makes it a bad fit for FlightPath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
I can imagine everything going up in price once the Transport and Tantive IV come out.

Why in the world would the price of existing models go up because they release those two new ones?

Quote:
They should keep the base set and those two iconic craft as inexpensive as possible to bring new folks into the game.

Considering what you get with the transport and CR-90, I'd say they are already as inexpensive as they can be. $90 for a fully painted, and assembled model the size of the CR-90 is frankly dirt cheap, when you consider the price of similar sized unpainted and unassembled models for other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
maxam wrote:

And BSG makes a passing nod to real-world physics. And even a passing nod makes it a bad fit for FlightPath.

You would have to have a momentum system kind of like Formula-D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit off topic, but regarding BSG:

I could imagine a stand-alone boxed game including, say, 2 Vipers and a Raptor (with missiles) vs 3 or 4 Raiders and a Heavy Raider. The Heavy might have something similar to an Ion Turret. Anyway, there might be a couple scenarios (for basic dogfights), but the best would be to have one edge be Galactica and the other be a Basestar; the Cylon goal is to get the Heavy Raider to BSG or destroy the Human ships. The Human goal is to destroy the Heavy Raider and get back to BSG alive. Obstacles would be friendly/enemy fire from BSG and the Basestar. Everything you need in one box ( although you could combine 2 for bigger battles or more players). Maybe 1 expansion later introducing Mark VII and Scar or something, if popularity demands it. But generally not a collectible "living miniatures game." This might appeal to people who don't like the collectible (wallet-crushing) nature of X-wing but want to play a flight path game. Might need some revisions to make the physics more BSG-like, but I don't think that would be too hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If FFG sticks close to this advice for JJ Adams, I think the game's future will be just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.