Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something for the rag and bone man...
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
The games are:

Krosmaster: Arena
Mage Wars Arena
Mythic Battles

I would like a game with:

Easy setup and takedown
Easy to learn rules/well written rulebook
Unique game mechanics
Replayability
A campaign.

Miniatures being included, while always great is not too important in this decision. Other game suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), it had a campaign mode. Otherwise Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Krosmaster is on sale right now at Miniature Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Krosmaster is on sale right now at Miniature Market.

The sale price is great. I got a quote and the shipping costs make it more expensive than my FLGS in Toronto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
What about Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), it had a campaign mode. Otherwise Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends might work.

I have the first edition of Descent and I've been looking at the second edition for a while now. Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends looks very interesting and I will have to research that one a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Sullivan
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ALSB wrote:
The games are:

Mage Wars Arena
Mythic Battles

Easy setup and takedown
Unique game mechanics
Replayability
A campaign.

Miniatures being included, while always great is not too important in this decision. Other game suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't played Mythic Battles. Between the other two:
Mage Wars sets up quickly ONCE YOU HAVE A SPELLBOOK. Which is to say, it is rather like Magic: The Gathering or any CCG- if you have a deck, you can sit down and play readily. Deckbuilding is a major component, though there are starting decklists included. I like it quite a lot, but I am also a frequent CCG addict.

Krosmaster: Arena has lovely pieces. The rulebook felt clunky to me, but once we were in play it seemed pretty straightforward. We tried it with four players, which I don't think I would recommend, as playing with four limits the number of models in play to the point where a player can be effectively eliminated very quickly.

Both Mage Wars and Krosmaster: Arena have enough interchangeable bits that the replayability should be very high, and allow for lots of refinement in strategy. I don't believe either of them have a campaign.

You might also look at Dungeon Command- the base sets are quite playable, along with rules for creating your own warbands. The game plays quite nicely, with the creature decks helping ensure games don't play out the same way every time. It looks a bit like it may be finished, so the five boxes that currently exist are probably the entire game, as opposed to Krosmaster and Mage Wars, which are both actively producing expansions. (Not that I am complaining about getting more MW cards!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Okko: Era of the Asagiri. It has all the things you're looking for in a tactics/fighting game, and is cheaper than the ones above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Krosmaster felt flat to me. There's significant rules but they bring them in layers. If you like cutesy anime it's pretty, but there didn't seem to be any chatter in the attack, so the results were more predictable than they should have been in this kind of game. I was playing two, it may play better (would almost have to) with more.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Sullivan
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Krosmaster felt flat to me. There's significant rules but they bring them in layers. If you like cutesy anime it's pretty, but there didn't seem to be any chatter in the attack, so the results were more predictable than they should have been in this kind of game. I was playing two, it may play better (would almost have to) with more.

S.

There may be another scenario besides the one in the core rulebook for more than two players that works well, but the included multiplayer scenario is not very good- each player has only half an army, so whoever gets hit first is likely to be out of the game quite quickly without some tricky political maneuvering.

Endless: Fantasy Tactics sits in a similar "trying to be a tabletop version of FF Tactics" space while feeling more like a traditional miniatures game, I like it quite a lot, though if you're not interested in painting miniatures, it is much less attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage wars is a good roommate/significant other game. You'll want your opponent to have the same time & access to the game to create their own spellbooks. It doesn't work as well if you have friend over for game night, and they have to play decks you've constructed. Krosmaster: Arena is a good tactics game, maybe a little simpler, but gorgeous miniatures. One other game you should take a look at is Pixel Tactics. It's also lighter, but still an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conspyre wrote:
ALSB wrote:
The games are:

Mage Wars Arena
Mythic Battles

Easy setup and takedown
Unique game mechanics
Replayability
A campaign.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't played Mythic Battles. Between the other two:
Mage Wars sets up quickly ONCE YOU HAVE A SPELLBOOK. Which is to say, it is rather like Magic: The Gathering or any CCG- if you have a deck, you can sit down and play readily. Deckbuilding is a major component, though there are starting decklists included. I like it quite a lot, but I am also a frequent CCG addict.

Krosmaster: Arena has lovely pieces. The rulebook felt clunky to me, but once we were in play it seemed pretty straightforward. We tried it with four players, which I don't think I would recommend, as playing with four limits the number of models in play to the point where a player can be effectively eliminated very quickly.

Both Mage Wars and Krosmaster: Arena have enough interchangeable bits that the replayability should be very high, and allow for lots of refinement in strategy. I don't believe either of them have a campaign.

You might also look at Dungeon Command- the base sets are quite playable, along with rules for creating your own warbands. The game plays quite nicely, with the creature decks helping ensure games don't play out the same way every time. It looks a bit like it may be finished, so the five boxes that currently exist are probably the entire game, as opposed to Krosmaster and Mage Wars, which are both actively producing expansions. (Not that I am complaining about getting more MW cards!)

I appreciate the input on Krosmaster: Arena and Mage Wars. I have spent quite a bit of money on discontinued Wizards properties... Being D&D Minatures and Heroscape... Not sure I want to go there again! gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conspyre wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

There may be another scenario besides the one in the core rulebook for more than two players that works well, but the included multiplayer scenario is not very good- each player has only half an army, so whoever gets hit first is likely to be out of the game quite quickly without some tricky political maneuvering.

Endless: Fantasy Tactics sits in a similar "trying to be a tabletop version of FF Tactics" space while feeling more like a traditional miniatures game, I like it quite a lot, though if you're not interested in painting miniatures, it is much less attractive.

I am worried about Krosmaster: Arena being a case of style over substance, but a fan of Final Fantasy Tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wzdan wrote:
Mage wars is a good roommate/significant other game. You'll want your opponent to have the same time & access to the game to create their own spellbooks. It doesn't work as well if you have friend over for game night, and they have to play decks you've constructed. Krosmaster: Arena is a good tactics game, maybe a little simpler, but gorgeous miniatures. One other game you should take a look at is Pixel Tactics. It's also lighter, but still an excellent game.

Another concern of mine is that whoever I play would not have the time or interest even to prepare before playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ALSB wrote:

I am worried about Krosmaster: Arena being a case of style over substance, but a fan of Final Fantasy Tactics.

I have that same impression after playing it once. I'll be honest, it's artistic choices are crap as far as I'm concerned, but I'm 49 years old. It's not exactly tailored to my age group so I'm not the best judge of that. But setting that aside, I gotta be honest -- it just felt flat. Heroscape jumps out of the box from day one and the rule set is much shorter. Krosmaster seemed to be incomplete and more complicated than it needed to be.

It also uses dice wrong. I realize that sounds absurd to most people on BGG, but you need to be rolling dice after your decision to move into a risky position in order for them to do their job properly, in order for them to add the kind of emotion a game like this is supposed to generate. Unfortunately using dice that way has been deemed "too lucky" on the Internet so you get a flat-playing game instead. That's the state of the industry these days.

All of this based on just one play by the way, so take it with a grain of salt.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Check out Okko: Era of the Asagiri. It has all the things you're looking for in a tactics/fighting game, and is cheaper than the ones above.

I did some research and ended up buying it for $28.00 CAD. If I like it enough, I'll buy the expansion this week. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
ALSB wrote:

I have that same impression after playing it once. I'll be honest, it's artistic choices are crap as far as I'm concerned, but I'm 49 years old. It's not exactly tailored to my age group so I'm not the best judge of that. But setting that aside, I gotta be honest -- it just felt flat. Heroscape jumps out of the box from day one and the rule set is much shorter. Krosmaster seemed to be incomplete and more complicated than it needed to be.

It also uses dice wrong. I realize that sounds absurd to most people on BGG, but you need to be rolling dice after your decision to move into a risky position in order for them to do their job properly, in order for them to add the kind of emotion a game like this is supposed to generate. Unfortunately using dice that way has been deemed "too lucky" on the Internet so you get a flat-playing game instead. That's the state of the industry these days.

All of this based on just one play by the way, so take it with a grain of salt.

S.

With that being said, I think I may check out Mythic Battles first. I believe the gameplay is a little deeper and the pricing is great. I still haven't ruled out Mage Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.