Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried playing this games with 7 people or more (using other bits for the 7nth player)? Any suggested special varients that might make this work better such as less bid cubes per player?

Also, has anyone tried removing the press your luck bidding aspect by just using a fixed number of bid cubes per turn in all cases. I think this might help with younger kids but again I'm wondering if removing a cube or two in this case would help.

If you have tried anything similar I'd like to know what worked for you and if you haven't but know the game well, I'd also appreciate your intuition on how either of the above might impact the game.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goldengamer wrote:
Has anyone tried playing this games with 7 people or more (using other bits for the 7nth player)? Any suggested special varients that might make this work better such as less bid cubes per player?

Also, has anyone tried removing the press your luck bidding aspect by just using a fixed number of bid cubes per turn in all cases. I think this might help with younger kids but again I'm wondering if removing a cube or two in this case would help.

If you have tried anything similar I'd like to know what worked for you and if you haven't but know the game well, I'd also appreciate your intuition on how either of the above might impact the game.

Thanks!

I've not done it for this game, but I have done variants of some other simple games to play with more players.

My initial thought is that it should be easily possible. You could just remove a couple of pieces from each player. I'm not sure it will be the best. It will play a bit slow and the 7th player is probably only going to put out a cube or two.

You might also consider a set number of rounds instead of playing for points. 1 for each player to be the start player.

I think it is critical for Fauna to have the push-your-luck element. It is one of the few things that separates Fauna from being purely a trivia game. (The other is being able to use the guesses of others for clues). The potential penalty for guessing wrong is what really creates the best decision points in Fauna. Deciding when you know enough to take a chance is the game as far as I'm concerned.

I think it not critical, however, that it be done through a loss of cubes the way the game does it. I find tracking how many cubes everyone is supposed to be getting a little messy, and it will be moreso with more players. Maybe give everyone 4 cubes to bid with, but if you bid wrong you lose a couple of points. Depending on your kids though, this may or may not be the best.

Here is just another random idea from a time I played Dixit. We had one player too many. Each round, one player would sit out. On the next turn, the person out would rotate to the next player. In Fauna, this could be whoever is reading sits out that round. If I were going to add a player to Fauna, this is probably what I would do instead of trying to otherwise tweak the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
With extra players we just started pairing some people up.,

With young children we give them two cubes back each turn instead of the standard one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good ideas Nathan! Fraser, yeah, that's the obvious solution in these cases but since it is an odd number, would only really require 1 pair and is just a single user over the suggested play count I was looking to find an extra player solution. The game really has no major reason to limit to 6 other than lack of spaces to place bids and each user gets multiple cubes anyway so a reasonable extra player variant should not be difficult to do without impacting the integrity of the game. Maybe I'll test out a few options and see what works best. Thanks for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually doubled up some teams, but you could easily play with more people. Just give them six pennies or dimes or corn kernels or whatnot. I wouldn't adjust other players cube numbers downward.

I can't really think of times when the 7th player would not get a lot of chances to play a cube, unless it's a 2- or 1-area animal. There's almost always a place to put a cube for all six (max) rounds.

We don't have any trouble tracking cubes. Before scoring, we just pull off all cubes that won't be scoring and put them down where it says "FAUNA" on the board. Then we tally points and after that, everyone grabs their pieces back. We then say, "everyone take one from the dead pool." Then someone may sheepishly say, "I still have only 2" and they get another. :)

I would reduce the number of points to win for 7-8 players, but probably only by about 10 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.