6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games for adolescent mental health setting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Reclaimer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the team lead for a new unit that will provide respite environment for kids 13-17. These kids will be admitted for various reasons including mental and behavioral health. The important part is that we're being given a generous entertainment budget, which of course means I'll be getting lots of board games, and they're going to be GOOD games, not just Scrabble and Apples to Apples. I have a hefty list started already, but I could use some additional recommendations. Ideally, they will be good games for building interaction skills, perhaps team building (co-ops?), problem solving, or even educational. I would not even be opposed to dexterity games as long as they're not too child-oriented. Player size will max out around 12 and could go as low as 2. Game times closer to 1 hour would be preferable. Males and females will be present.

Here's some examples of what I have:
Wits and Wagers
Dixit
Pandemic & Forbidden Island
Werewolf (may need help on the best version of this kind of game, I also have the Resistance)
Timeline (educational-ish)
Telestrations
Small World
Fluxx

Here are some others that I think would work but I'm not as sure about:
Arctic Scavengers
Legendary & DC Deck Building
LOTR Card Game
Phantom Society (This is newer and I haven't played but it seems like a potentially good one)
Smash Up
Love Letter or Citadels or Mascarade
Dominion?

So take that and run with it! I'll take any ideas whether its a type of game or a specific game that you think would work with a group of teens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Burns
United States
Aurora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The resistance is great fun but it might be a bit too confrontational for your group. Wits and Wagers family edition might be better because the gambling effect is down played. And the constantly changing rules of flux may be distracting.

+1 for dominion.

Forbidden Island is a good co-op that can be leveled for players easily.

King of Tokyo is a pure dice game not a lot of complex strategy.

Carcassonne Not sure on the severity of mental illness but Carcassonne can act as puzzle game more of competitive game encourage the players not to play for points but to make the most interesting cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Moyer
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying. -Woody Allen
mbmbmbmbmb
Some form of Pitch Car to engage the more physical kids, and RoboRally (a short version like 2 boards/2 flags) for the humor and spatial thinking skills. Don't shoot down Apples to Apples - a lot of kids like to try and make the judge pick their card by picking the funniest one rather then the most apt answer, which can be very engaging for a good-sized group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so sure about Dominion. There's not much interaction and if there's it's mostly to 'harm' other players. I'd probably skip it for your purpose.

Since you already have Dixit I think there's no need to reconsider Apples to Apples.

Of your collection I think Dixit, Pandemic, Forbidden Island and Resistance are the best choices.

And I'd strongly favor Resistance over Werewolf in your situation. The player elimination of Werewolf can not only be frustrating but younger players might have problems hiding their emotions about their 'killer'. You don't have that kind of problem in Resistance since nobody is eliminated.

If King of Tokyo doesn't appeal to you Dice Town is another excellent dice game. It's fairly light, involves a good amount of interaction while not being very confrontational.

Hanabi is also a great little game which not only cooperative but all about communication and deduction. I strongly recommend this one.

I think a game with trade as a core element would also be a great choice. The only one which comes to my mind is Catan. Maybe there are many better games with trading out there but that's not really what I'm into so I probably don't know them. Anyway Settlers is still a great introductory level game.

Edit:

Oh, and I wouldn't go for LOTR LCG. Yes, it's cooperative and has an appealing theme. But to enjoy the game one has to spend a lot of time with the construction of a deck. So I think it's very badly suited for your purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested in this topic as I have recently been in contact with a local mental heath charity with regards to setting up sessions like these. So far I'm still waiting for a response.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple Co-op, fast and fun.
King of Tokyo Fun game components and good gameplay
Cowabunga is a fast fun one that is easy to pick up.
Dobble (Well that's what it's called here in the UK)Silly game, good for observational skills and reactions.
Takenoko nice game, not very confrontational.
Forbidden Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DCross519 wrote:
I am the team lead for a new unit that will provide respite environment for kids 13-17. These kids will be admitted for various reasons including mental and behavioral health. The important part is that we're being given a generous entertainment budget, which of course means I'll be getting lots of board games, and they're going to be GOOD games, not just Scrabble and Apples to Apples. I have a hefty list started already, but I could use some additional recommendations. Ideally, they will be good games for building interaction skills, perhaps team building (co-ops?), problem solving, or even educational. I would not even be opposed to dexterity games as long as they're not too child-oriented. Player size will max out around 12 and could go as low as 2. Game times closer to 1 hour would be preferable. Males and females will be present.

Here's some examples of what I have:
Wits and Wagers
Dixit
Pandemic & Forbidden Island
Werewolf (may need help on the best version of this kind of game, I also have the Resistance)
Timeline (educational-ish)
Telestrations
Small World
Fluxx

Here are some others that I think would work but I'm not as sure about:
Arctic Scavengers
Legendary & DC Deck Building
LOTR Card Game
Phantom Society (This is newer and I haven't played but it seems like a potentially good one)
Smash Up
Love Letter or Citadels or Mascarade
Dominion?

So take that and run with it! I'll take any ideas whether its a type of game or a specific game that you think would work with a group of teens.

The ones you have look good, the ones you suggest don't, because they are mostly aggressive themed games.

I'd suggest Hanabi for team building. I would suggest abstract games such as the brilliant Kamisado for teaching about thinking ahead. Kamisado is really great in the respect it can teach anyone to visualize moves like a chess-player.

I would also suggest games that are calming in their play. There are a lot of relaxing games. These include a number of Knizia games like Lost Cities (any of its versions), Blue Moon City (OOP), Lord of the Rings and other classic Euros in the Rio Grande Games catalog like Carcassonne, Finca, etc. Don't pick something like Arctic Scavengers with a picture of a guy with a gun on the cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.