Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Daniels
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group's having some trouble figuring out what to do when permission is NOT granted for attacking a city.

What is the exact timing of when permission is needed to attack a city? Is that before or after I declare my target space? Is the action lost entirely is permission is denied, or may I nominate a different area with my action?

For instance, let's say I reveal my Mobilize Forces action card. I want to start a siege of a neutral city where one of my opponents has a noble present. By rule, I cannot attack that city without first securing his permission. Do I...

A) Ask my opponents if he will give me permission to attack that city, and then if he says yes, I nominate that area and begin my siege?

B) Nominate the area first and announce my intention to attack the city, and then ask my opponent for permission?

In both cases, if the opposing player does NOT grant me permission, what happens then? Do I get to nominate a different area to move troops into and attack? Or is my action considered to have failed and is thus lost?

Thank you for any clarification you can provide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While, not specifically mentioned in the rule book it is more useful to think of your opponents noble having a chance to intercept the attack.

When an attack or siege is declare on a city any third party has the option of intercepting and preventing the attack. The attacker then can either attack the third part, negotiate or pass his turn to the next triggered action. Usually the player has already gained benefit from moving or will battle the 3rd party if a deal cannot be reached.

Traveling by road works the same way. An opponent can intercept your army along the road.

This means that while you can talk all you want about the attack before hand it is not till an attack is declared that the 3rd party can interrupt. Remember lying is perfectly acceptable within the rule, but dishonorable.

Please note that players cannot interrupt field engagements the same way they can with city assaults. Also, if multiple people interfere, you may only engage one of them, though if you are trying to take a city from a combined defense of three or more it is probably not worth the effort.

I hope that helped. Unfortunately the rulebook can be unclear on order at times. I'd say as long as everyone plays by the same rules you should just pick a method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Daniels
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official answer from FFG:

“The player must grant you permission after you declare your intention to attack the city. If he does not give you permission, then you do not resolve the battle and cannot choose to do something else with your mobilize order.

Players will often ask each other whether they will grant permission before using a mobilize order, but such answers are not binding. Nobles in the area may prevent the attack as soon as it is declared, regardless of any non-binding promises made earlier in the game.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venthrac wrote:
Official answer from FFG:

“The player must grant you permission after you declare your intention to attack the city. If he does not give you permission, then you do not resolve the battle and cannot choose to do something else with your mobilize order.

Players will often ask each other whether they will grant permission before using a mobilize order, but such answers are not binding. Nobles in the area may prevent the attack as soon as it is declared, regardless of any non-binding promises made earlier in the game.”

So this is interesting. If I move into a place to besiege/assualt a city, but then another Noble there refuses to grant permission, can't I then engage him in open field battle in that hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Daniels
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is covered in the official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.