Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a long time coming, but Tattered Flags is finally on the schedule to be upgraded to Gold Banner status. A firm date has not yet been announced but it will be sometime next year.

The game will have reworked components including the new laser cut, super-thick counters. It will also contain the long-delayed expansion, Into the Whirlpool. So this new version will have about three times the map area and twice as many units. Also included will be basic and advanced rules along with new scenarios and new Battle Cards.

If any of you have any rules suggestions and/or game improvements that you'd like to see in this new version, now's the time to let us know! Please post any of your concerns either here or on Consimworld on the game's forum or on the VPG company forum.

Thanks and good gaming!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
It's been a long time coming, but Tattered Flags is finally on the schedule to be upgraded to Gold Banner status. A firm date has not yet been announced but it will be sometime next year.

The game will have reworked components including the new laser cut, super-thick counters. It will also contain the long-delayed expansion, Into the Whirlpool. So this new version will have about three times the map area and twice as many units. Also included will be basic and advanced rules along with new scenarios and new Battle Cards.

If any of you have any rules suggestions and/or game improvements that you'd like to see in this new version, now's the time to let us know! Please post any of your concerns either here or on Consimworld on the game's forum or on the VPG company forum.

Thanks and good gaming!
Hermann

A mounted mapboard and game box!!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ski!
The box is a sure thing - I'm not sure about mounted maps. That's still in the discussion phase. I'll let you know either way.
All the best,
Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Thanks Ski!
The box is a sure thing - I'm not sure about mounted maps. That's still in the discussion phase. I'll let you know either way.
All the best,
Herm

That ends up being a decision on whether or not I get a game these days. I know the mounted mapboard on The Guns of Gettysburg is a piece of art, and having to deal with a paper map, especially with the miniatures aspect to unit placement and the effect that folds have on them, is a big deal to me. I would be happy to pay another $10 or $15 for a game to have a mounted map.....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know! The Powers-That-Be are reading this, so we'll see.
Thanks!
Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There's going to be a LOT of maps when this said and done; and would you pay not $15 per game, but per maps section...? That's the question.

This is something we really need to think about.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
There's going to be a LOT of maps when this said and done; and would you pay not $15 per game, but per maps section...? That's the question.

Alan Emrich

Then perhaps you might want to think about expansions to a base game. Each expansion would have scenarios and a MOUNTED map, hehehe....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:

Thanks and good gaming!
Hermann

Count me in...mounted maps are just about a must though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
Teamski wrote:
I would be happy to pay another $10 or $15 for a game to have a mounted map.....-Ski

I'll second that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't see anything on VPG website though soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's because there's nothing to show on the webstie yet, and probably won't be for a while. We're still in the "blocking out how to approach these upgrades + expansions" game package right now. So, until a lot of decision are made, and then some components based on those decision, there won't be a lot to show, I'm afraid.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
It's been a long time coming...Hermann

As a purchaser of this game, it has been a disappointment that VPG has not advanced this series at all in the two-and-half-years since this release. More action and less overhype from them would be appreciated.

VPG has dropped the ball so many times in recent years (this series, States of Siege, Cruel Necessity/GMT P500, and not to mention The World Will Hold its Breath - glad we didn't), I sincerely hope this works out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my unsolicited two cents worth (well, 1.4 after taxes)...

Count me in on this game. I have held off buying the original while I waited for the gold treatment, and to hear it will include the expansion is a definite plus for me.

Alan, no offense, but I am not sure what you are contemplating on this. I will buy whatever expansion you make on it, and want a mounted map with it, if that helps. Sometimes one can overthink how to make a peanut butter and jelly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nappy wrote:
For my unsolicited two cents worth (well, 1.4 after taxes)...

Count me in on this game. I have held off buying the original while I waited for the gold treatment, and to hear it will include the expansion is a definite plus for me.

Alan, no offense, but I am not sure what you are contemplating on this. I will buy whatever expansion you make on it, and want a mounted map with it, if that helps. Sometimes one can overthink how to make a peanut butter and jelly.

+1 thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric S
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
An email from VPG brought me here tonight, wasn't really expecting anything and bam! Fantastic news. I don't know about it being a must, but mounted maps would be great. I know I've mentioned it before, but if we could get a rule for "wheeling" units instead of "pinwheeling" that would be nice just from a nitpicking kind of sense. Lol Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Eric and thanks for visiting! We're underway discussing the details now. Lots to consider with the physical presentation. I actually did remember your request for the "wheel" mechanic and I already have a note to include it as an optional rule.
Thanks!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Hey Eric and thanks for visiting! We're underway discussing the details now. Lots to consider with the physical presentation. I actually did remember your request for the "wheel" mechanic and I already have a note to include it as an optional rule.
Thanks!
Hermann

...and that's good news too! Thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a miniatures gamer, and I'm only a mild wargamer, but this game has been on my radar for a while now. I almost bought it earlier this year, but held off waiting for the Gold Banner Treatment. (I believe at that time I read that any expansions or future Tattered Flags games would be in Gold, so I figured I'd wait for a uniform system of games.)

I understand that production costs are certainly an issue, if not the main issue of consideration, but is this something that could be Kickstarted? I don't believe VPG has gone the Kickstarter route (that I know of), but I've Kickstarted a few things over the past two years, and the most comparable thing I can think of is 1775: Rebellion by Academy Games. (Old Kickstarter link)

The comparison is that they had the game and rules already nailed down, and the Kickstarter was really only to fund final production and use stretch goals for component upgrades. I'm seeing the requests above for an upgrade to a mounted map (which I would also like), and the question from VPG as to whether people would pay extra for it. It seems that VPG could find out if people are willing to put their money where their mouth is through Kickstarter funding.

Alan, is this something VPG can do, or has even looked in to, or is VPG's production model not yet conducive to something like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

We need time more than money to get this project launched, and Kickstarter doesn't provide time. There are just so many other projects that we can't do everything we'd like to all at once.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve sines
msg tools
mb
Was on the verge of getting this but will now wait for the gold version.
Hope i don't have to wait too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Steve! There hasn't been any movement on this project lately and I'm not sure where on the schedule it is positioned right now. We have some logistical hurdles to jump first, as the way the game units are produced and portrayed is very important for the series and we have to get that right. In all honesty, if you're interested in the game, I'd get this version and try it out. The Gold Banner will have lots of new stuff, so it will eventually be worth getting anyway.
Thanks for your interest!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much hope for the option for a non-mounted map. The cost savings with a multi-map set would be considerable and might make the difference in my purchase decision.

I tried one VPG mounted/puzzle-cut map and the puzzle cuts do not always lay flush. Since that experiment I've gone back to ordering VPGs with paper.

I'd also like to see the original game counters offered in the laser-cut version separately for previous owners, as part of an add-on package with the new elements. I prefer not to pay twice for the same real estate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
I'd also like to see the original game counters offered in the laser-cut version separately for previous owners, as part of an add-on package with the new elements. I prefer not to pay twice for the same real estate.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hawkins
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:

When you add in shipping and import taxes (to EU) no thanks.

If I'm not playing a miniatures game then I prefer Kriegspiel type blocks to counters (of any quality).
[brainstorm]
Maybe VPG could provide the game with stickers that could be attached to appropriate blocks? I've used the cheap coloured dominoes (EG from ebay) for an English Civil War game as they are quite a satisfying size and don't slide about. Unfortunately this might require the map to be printed at a bigger scale.
[/brainstorm]

Can we avoid the terms Basic and Advanced for the different sets of rules please?
Too many times Advanced simply means 'lots more fiddly stuff with no added realism', I understand that some (a lot?) of people like fiddly stuff but including it does not always make the game better.

How about describing the options as General's-view (higher level, significant fog-of-war) and Colonel's-view (all the tactical nitty-gritty but with less fog-of-war). Each set of rules might contain optional/advanced rules. New players would be directed to playing the General's-view rules but without any of the optional/advanced options (EG fog-of-war).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
...all good points...But, when is the gold edition coming out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.