22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Deck vs Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chozo Tull
msg tools
Hello,

I'm currently getting more and more interested into gaming and my collection is slowly growing, comprising mostly small card games, a format I like better so far than bigger boxes (like I prefer Savage Worlds and Cosmic Patrol to Pathfinder in RPGs).

My FLGS has currently in store Scarab Lords and Gosu! Tactics, two games that got me thinking of the deck vs deck format, a play mode I'd like to go back to without the hassle of collecting cards (hello MTG).

I know "closed" card games are quite popular and while the theme of scarab lords appeals to me, it's an older game with only two decks. Heard alot of good about Gosu! but i'm not ultra-drawn to the game (theme issue i guess).

Netrunner came to my mind but I don't really have the money nor the space so far for it, might christmas it.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yomi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon Legends will fit your bill, but its not out yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:

He just said Netrunner was too pricey...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars is the first game that came to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation is to abandon the deck vs. deck genre. She is a cruel mistress that will drag you deep down into an ocean of poverty and despair. Oh sure, once you've had a taste of her you will always hear her voice in the back of your head calling to you...but you must resist it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything from Level 99 games, including Pixel Tactics and BattleCON: War of Indines / BattleCON: Devastation of Indines.

Those games are generally 2 player, with some multiplayer variants, but his other games can play as 6 or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Basham
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I quit!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixel Tactics plus Pixel Tactics 2 (should be out soon)

Omen: A Reign of War

Both are small, inexpensive, and offer a lot of that flavor in self-contained (yet expandable) packages.

Edit: ninja'd on the Pixel Tactics recommendation, but if you want to do deck customization of any sort, you'll need Pixel Tactics 2 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Driver 8 wrote:

Oops, you're right...but I'd rather have my 10 Yomi decks than 20 decks of something else that costs half as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I think Pixel Tactics and Summoner Wars are the where its at right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One game not mentioned so far and one that is somewhat obscure but one that I found intriguing and enjoyable is ...

Timestreams There are two versions of this game, which can be combined, each with two separate decks ... one "Stone Age vs Future Tech" and another "Modern vs Medieval". Players fill the timeline with inventions from their decks and when the timeline is filled the scoring begins.

Good luck with your quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars

And Mage Wars Arena
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:
Anything from Level 99 games, including Pixel Tactics and BattleCON: War of Indines / BattleCON: Devastation of Indines.

Those games are generally 2 player, with some multiplayer variants, but his other games can play as 6 or more.

Pixel Tactics is really surprisingly deep and can be a tense struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I scrapped all of my "deck vs deck" CCG games and instead bought Nature of the Beast, because I wanted a fun game designed to use a closed set of cards from which me and my friends could build decks against each other.

Nature of the Beast: Prairie vs. Polar
Nature of the Beast: Farm vs. Forest
Nature of the Beast: City vs. Suburb

There's a free demo on their website if you want to see how it plays.

(Although they are not deck vs deck games, Innovation and BattleCON are both excellent and highly competitive card games!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try getting a playset of common and uncommon cards from a Magic set from eBay. That will run you about $30-40 including shipping for ~700 cards. You can build decks with these cards or shuffle up and draft them using your favorite two-player draft method. The second method especially will allow you to play indefinitely for no additional investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage wars, summoner wars & pixel tactics are all excellent recommendations. I'd also addSmash Up. It's a little lighter, but still a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An LCG Core set (such as Netrunner) is about $26 online, if that's too expensive for you to consider then I have nothing to recommend as they would also be out of your reach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
COLOSSUS
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars was said earlier but make sure to get the Summoner Wars: Master Set . It comes with six decks and then you can get the rest over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definite +1 to Omen - and may well be worth looking at some of the other Smallbox games, particularly The Valkyrie Incident, currently only $12!

Edit: My bad - not even $12 - $9.99 + $4 postage gets you The Valkyrie Incident & Stone and Relic, just without boxes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Driver 8 wrote:

Oops, you're right...but I'd rather have my 10 Yomi decks than 20 decks of something else that costs half as much.

Well, even the complete set of Yomi is a one-time buy. I'm guessing if someone calls Netrunner expensive it's because of the constant stream of content (i.e. owning everything that exists for Netrunner already costs more than owning everything that exists for Yomi, and that gap will only continue to widen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the suggestions above, if you're up for a closed deck cooperative card game try Sentinels of the Multiverse. A really fun coop superhero card game with tons of cards available if you get the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chozo Tull
msg tools
^ Sentinels looks like a very interesting game, even if the art is horrible to me

Summoner Wars might get on my list soon ... found a lot of decks ...

I should say that being french alot of these games would be quite expensive to import :/ Netrunner core set is $50 here ...

Alos found some Pocket Battle Sets (Orcs/Elves, etc) are these like deck battles or more on the war game side ? Seem interesting

Sorry for not posting a lot but thanks to all of you for your lovely recommandations ! Blue Moon Legends got me very excited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.