Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Decker
United States
Kingsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Read the booklet and watched the Dice Tower review and I'm still not sure how this is done.

This is what I am trying to understand... for example (taken from Dice Tower review)

The Hazard is 5. the Robinson fighting cards end up -2
Life points I have to pay is 7 correct? (difference of Hazard value and the total fighting points)No way out of this if I've chosen to lose at this point, correct?

Assuming this is correct and at this point I have to pay the 7 Hazard points.....
The booklet says for the life points you destroy in this manner you can destroy face up fighting cards. 1 life point to destroy Robinson or knowledge, or 2 life points to destroy an aging card.

Let's say there are two Robinson cards I want to get rid of. Does that mean I pay 7 for losing plus 2 more to destroy the cards. Total of 9 life points?

Watching the Dice Tower review the above situation was presented but only 7 life points were taken away.

Trying to understand this.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
ddandb wrote:
Read the booklet and watched the Dice Tower review and I'm still not sure how this is done.

This is what I am trying to understand... for example (taken from Dice Tower review)

Life points I have to pay is 7 correct? (difference of Hazard value and the total fighting points)No way out of this if I've chosen to lose at this point, correct?

Sounds right but I didn't watch the video. If the total of the fighting cards is -2 (so there are some ageing cards in the mix with negative numbers) and the target hazard is 5 then yes you must pay 7 life.

Quote:
Assuming this is correct and at this point I have to pay the 7 Hazard points.....
The booklet says for the life points you destroy in this manner you can destroy face up fighting cards. 1 life point to destroy Robinson or knowledge, or 2 life points to destroy an aging card.

Let's say there are two Robinson cards I want to get rid of. Does that mean I pay 7 for losing plus 2 more to destroy the cards. Total of 9 life points?

NO. You can destroy upto 7 value of fighting cards because you paid 7 life points. Ageing cards cost 2 and robinson cards cost 1, these costs are in the top left of each card (or top right I can't remember).

Quote:
Watching the Dice Tower review the above situation was presented but only 7 life points were taken away.

Because they must have played correctly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as a harsh lesson. He is losing life due to his failure, but that harsh lesson is purging his sloth, weakness, fear, and stupidity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Decker
United States
Kingsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
ddandb wrote:

Sounds right but I didn't watch the video. If the total of the fighting cards is -2 (so there are some ageing cards in the mix with negative numbers) and the target hazard is 5 then yes you must pay 7 life.

Quote:

NO. You can destroy upto 7 value of fighting cards because you paid 7 life points. Ageing cards cost 2 and robinson cards cost 1, these costs are in the top left of each card (or top right I can't remember).

Quote:

Because they must have played correctly

Thanks...

Let's see now if I understand.

Same example..
I have two 0 Robinson cards and two -1 Robinson cards. Hazards are 5 so I owe 7 life points. Beings I am paying those 7 life points I can destroy 1 card, 2 cards, 3, cards, or all 4 cards beings they only cost 1 each. As long as I don't go over the 7 life points I can keep destroying cards I just played. This doesn't cost anything extra, it's part of the 7.
If I do want to go over the 7, tough crap.
Sound right?

and again, Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
ddandb wrote:

Thanks...

Let's see now if I understand.

Same example..
I have two 0 Robinson cards and two -1 Robinson cards. Hazards are 5 so I owe 7 life points. Beings I am paying those 7 life points I can destroy 1 card, 2 cards, 3, cards, or all 4 cards beings they only cost 1 each. As long as I don't go over the 7 life points I can keep destroying cards I just played. This doesn't cost anything extra, it's part of the 7.
If I do want to go over the 7, tough crap.
Sound right?

and again, Thanks.

Yup exactly. As you point out, you are not allowed to pay extra life points to destroy cards. Also thanks for pointing out the base deck has -1's I forgot that in my reply. You can easily get -2 fighting strength without ageing cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Russell
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! I didn't get out of the green round my first 4 tries because I was paying the extra life to get rid of cards.

Time to try again!

EDITED EDIT: Disregard. Apparently I cannot figure out this game for the life of me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrCoras wrote:
WOW! I didn't get out of the green round my first 4 tries because I was paying the extra life to get rid of cards.
Same here. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enjoying this game, but still tend to forget a rule here and there. I won my last game (first time to win), then discovered that I was removing Ageing cards at a cost of 1, rather than 2, so I probably didn't really win, after all. I finally created a "reminders" sheet and put it in the box. Maybe I'll play it correctly next time and have a genuine win. At least I have done better each time I've played. Looking forward to really getting a handle on this game -- someday....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels clunky at first but stick with it. Someday it will just *click* and then it runs really smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aby Weygan
Philippines
flag msg tools
therealtheshader wrote:
Think of it as a harsh lesson. He is losing life due to his failure, but that harsh lesson is purging his sloth, weakness, fear, and stupidity.

came here to confirm my if im playing it right and found an added thematic feel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm, destroying cards using the life points paid as a loss deficit isn't an all-or-nothing payment, for example if in the example above I was -7 points on the total and I'd played a 2, 0, -1, -1, -1, -1 vs a 5 hazard, assuming all the cards were "regular" (not aging) I could just destroy the 0 and negative ones, ignoring the remaining 2 "destruction point allowance" and keep the 2 card - I wouldn't have to choose between either detroying them all, or destroying none of them? Sure I'm right but wanted to make sure I'm reading the rules correctly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.