Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How does the Dark Side win? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I just got the game last week for my birthday (1 core set, and one Edge of Darkness on its way). I've just played a couple of games so far this week with my kids, and I am still learning the rules. However, my limited experience makes me think that the Light Side is much easier to play, and therefore, to win with.

I'm sure that this is an experience issue rather than a game balance issue. Also, I am only using the pre-constructed decks in the starter box for now until I get a better handle on the game mechanics. But what is leading my experience as well is that a couple of guys who work at the FLGS and play SWTCG weekly told me that they in all their games the Dark Side has only won a couple times, even with them switching sides.

So, my question to the experienced players: what are some general tips and strategies for playing DS decks? (Again, ignoring deck building for the moment.) What are the general principles involved in successful play?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The pre-constructed decks and decks created with just one core set rely heavily on what cards are drawn by each player...so a certain amount of 'luck of the draw' comes into play. It is still a great game playing with the pre-constructed decks - especially for those that don't want to bother with the deck building aspect of the game.

If you get another core set (and two EoDs) then I feel you will have a much more rewarding game. The game will be less about the draw (although it still plays a part) and more about who can create the best card combinations and balance in their decks.

To answer your question about, how do you win with the DS? We found that the pre-constructed decks balanced out over a number of plays. When we played with decks created using two core sets, then the DS dominated (Sith). Then by adding EoD and the Hoth force packs to our deck building, we found that deck building and the game play (the choices a player makes during the game) are key to winning. I have dominated a Sith deck with a swarming Rebel deck and my friend has dominated my DS decks with his Hoth Speeder Deck. Throw in EoD with the SandV and SandS cards and now you have a whole new world to enter.

This is a great game and if you are into deck building and experimenting and having an awesome experience then I suggest getting the Hoth force packs along with EoD.

So many options to try and so much fun. This game is a 10 for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a thread that covers this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/989139/dark-side-losing-ever...

Followed very closely by this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/990746/light-side-losing-eve...

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sit and play defensive with the sith. they are really good at running out the clock that way and easier to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost every time I've won as Dark Side, I focused on retaining the balance of the Force. That extra Death Star Dial per turn would almost always be the key factor for winning.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been said, most new players play way too aggressive with the Dark Side (especally Sith). Out of the core set especally the Sith do much better as a tempo control deck focusing on keeping the force and locking down or burning away any threats the LS puts out. Just remember the LS is the one on the clock, when you overextend it can be very easy for them to drop a few units and if you are short on defenders take out one or two objectives in a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I probably will not get more than the one core set, EoD, and the Balance of the Force expansions. My interest is mostly in casual gaming at home with my kids, and I think this should provide us enough options even once we start thinking about actual deck building.

I've already sunk so much into X-wing Miniatures that I won't be going all out for this game. Besides, there is not a robust game scene here for this game anyways to find many players outside my home.

I will read through those threads suggested and see if I come up with any more questions.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will only need 1 copy of Balance of the force. One box is a complete playset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Hoth expansion cycle. They did a great job at capturing the feel of the Hoth scenes from the movies, with the many Speeder sets for the Light Side, and the Walkers and Troopers and Star Destroyers on the Dark Side. If you like Empire Strikes Back, you should consider grabbing that cycle...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did play again tonight against my 8-year old son, and the Sith had a tremendous defeat of the Jedi. Of course this wasn't a completely even match since he is only 8, but it was good to see that the Dark Side can win (and handily) with even the pre-built core deck.

I appreciate the advice again on purchasing two core or EoD sets, and the Hoth Cycle, but I am going to try to limit my purchases. As an X-wing addict, I understand how having all the available options can be alluring and powerful for play but I am looking to have a fun time with my kids with this game. I play small tourneys with X-wing, but as I said there is no competitive scene here for the card game at my FLGSs. Maybe I will pick up a Hoth expansion here or there but I won't plan on buying everything for this game, since I know so much of it will go unused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to give the Dark Side a boost and want to limit your purchases, the best Hoth Cycle pack to go for would easily be "Desolation of Hoth".

An Imperial Vader, what more could you want? He's excellent to have in any Dark Side Deck.

The Killing Cold Objective Set is a firm favourite of mine for Sith Control. That card is a great way to ensure that Palpatine constantly keeps hold of the Force.

When playing Dark Side, you are trying to speed up the timer and the best way to do that is to be defensive, control the force and shove tactics icons down on the light side forces/resources.

Not only that, but the set also provides a powerful Jedi set that is a staple in many Jedi builds because of Old Ben's Spirit, which combos amazingly with Yoda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice. I have a bit of credit at one of my FLGSs so I may use it toward one of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, a new question:

Could it be argued that since I am playing against my young sons who are still developing a sense of strategy, that using single copies of the core and EoD is actually good, in the sense that it increases the randomness of the gameplay?

In other words, if I am unable to double up objectives in the deck, the consensus is that the decks are weaker because the draws are more random during play, making it harder to get what you want. Could this be a balancing effect to make my boys have a better chance at winning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, you know, you could just let them win for a while. Use up all of your cards in the first Edge Battle, then with no more cards they'll win the other battles (and probably win the game).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Or, you know, you could just let them win for a while. Use up all of your cards in the first Edge Battle, then with no more cards they'll win the other battles (and probably win the game).

-shnar

True, but not my style. I like to play competitive but not cutthroat with them. If I let the little Wookiees win, neither of us learns much about how the game should be played. They are good sports and can handle losing some. Their victories are that much sweeter that way also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
In other words, if I am unable to double up objectives in the deck, the consensus is that the decks are weaker because the draws are more random during play, making it harder to get what you want. Could this be a balancing effect to make my boys have a better chance at winning?

Not exactly. Random is random. If your boys end up drawing their power cards early and you don't, sure, they'll have an advantage. But it's just as likely that the inverse will happen and odds will be tilted in your favor.

Will being more random narrow any gaps in skill? Some of the time. The rest of the time it will exacerbate the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.