Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Would I like this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay my Son and I have been playing Pathfinder every night and love it, was wondering if this would be a game that we would like. How easy is it to learn or teach.. Also what order do the adventure packs go in, thanks..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very different game from PACG. It works best with two players, so that's a bonus for you right there. It's heavily supported with expansions, so the game keeps growing and changing. FFG has a great tutorial video on their site to help teach you the rules. It's more complicated than PACG, but it also has a better rulebook.

The FFG LOTR site will let you know the order of all the expansions. The first group of Adventure Packs is the Mirkwood Cycle before you get to the first "big box" expansion Khazad-dum.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
It works best with two players, so that's a bonus for you right there.


In the context of this thread I'd agree that it works wonderfully as a 2p game. Speaking as a person who's never played the game two player, and primarily plays 4 but also some 3, this game scales WONDERFULLY.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
jkayati wrote:
It works best with two players, so that's a bonus for you right there.


In the context of this thread I'd agree that it works wonderfully as a 2p game. Speaking as a person who's never played the game two player, and primarily plays 4 but also some 3, this game scales WONDERFULLY.
Really? The consensus used to be that the scaling sucked. Now that was probably mainly to do with the set up of the individual scenarios that were not number of players specific. FFG seemed to be learning their lesson last time I was seriously involved (I went walkabout for 9 months or so due to illness), so have they actually got it right now?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
jkayati wrote:
It works best with two players, so that's a bonus for you right there.


In the context of this thread I'd agree that it works wonderfully as a 2p game. Speaking as a person who's never played the game two player, and primarily plays 4 but also some 3, this game scales WONDERFULLY.
Really? The consensus used to be that the scaling sucked. Now that was probably mainly to do with the set up of the individual scenarios that were not number of players specific. FFG seemed to be learning their lesson last time I was seriously involved (I went walkabout for 9 months or so due to illness), so have they actually got it right now?


I always thought it was the consensus that many of the quests between the base set and initial cycle were considered fairly easy. Solo seemed to be the only way a "true" challenge could be had in the infancy of the game.

While there are scenarios that are easier than others there are many past scenarios that are a great challenge for 3-4. In the last year FF has been making much harder scenarios, many with variables.

The trick is, especially in harder scenarios, the game really is harder with that extra flop of a card or two. It's never easy when you setup with 4 cards in the staging area, perhaps negative effects and replacement with surge; then you get to the first quest phase and have to flip 4 more. There have been devastating effects in quests that were reportedly easier and I attribute that to more cards being revealed.

The last 3 deluxe expansions (not counting the recently released Black Riders) have really upped the ante. I have found Assault on Osgiliath an especially serious challenge.

The game has evolved, and regardless of it's past balance vs number of players, I personally believe that it doesn't matter how many you play with; you'll get the same great experience.

As to what the OP asked, and I never answered:

LCGs like LotR benefit from those who would care to deck build and invest in learning the ins and outs of the system. That's no slight on Pathfinder, it's just that LotR is an entirely different animal.

In time LotR becomes a game where you'll grab the next pack to see what it holds, play the adventure, and perhaps make tweaks to do better and win. There are deluxe expansions that are seriously thematic all the way through and can be played in series as a full developing adventure, however the majority of the game is one-off games that can be repeated.

Pathfinder is designed as a game that you can easily drop into and play as little or as much in a series to develop the characters you've chose with little effort but big rewards. The expansion philosophy is similar to LotR, for sure, but the style play and time you'll need to invest to be proficient will not be the same.

I guess it's a question of having the time and will to invest yourself in a deckbuilding system that requires front-end load vs something that feels more casual but still has a deck building feel.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.