Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently reviewing the production cost for a 2-5 player game that plays in about 45 minutes.

I have a couple of options to consider as follows:

1) I could reduce the cost and MSRP of the game if the number of players was reduced to 2-4 players.

2) I could also modify the current design and increase the number of players to 2-6 players and would likely have to absorb most of the cost to do so to maintain a reasonable MSRP.

Both options would have a moderate, yet acceptable impact on game time.

Regardless of price point and play time, does anyone know what the general hobby game market preference is in regards to the number of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I remember, surveys have been done and some people like 2-4 players because that's the number of people in their group and others have say 6-7 people regularly so they like more players.

Either 2-4 or 2-6 players would probably work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
publisher
I would recommend you do 2-4 or 1-3 as that is the most common mix that player prefer.

I know most of my games are done with 2-4 (1-2 for the early demo) and then the expansions allow for the 2-6 version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In my opinion, any game designed to be "casual" should accommodate more players. People like playing these kind of games in groups, often with other casual games. Or as part of a dinner party. Or with both parents and children together. A game that can only accommodate four players may be hard for parents to play with kids, especially if those kids want to play with friends also.

For more serious, strategic-level games, you want something a bit tighter and should be aiming for four player mark. These is the typical number of players for most strategy games. There are fewer players who play hardcore strategy games, and those that do naturally tend to form into small groups.

On the other hand, if you see your game as a "tournament-style" game, then you will want to be sure it can handle a highly flexible amount of players as people may take them to public places such as gaming stores and conventions, encouraging people to play if they show interest.

In the end, you should see what OTHER games exist that a fan of your game may want to collect and look wither to match those games or create a niche by choosing a player count that wouldn't be covered by those.

I think if your game currently works well with 2-5 players without raising the price, that's a pretty good mark and you should go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
surely you would know yourself, whether the game plays better with 3 or 6. I chose those numbers for a reason, if it plays better with 6 then you might want to shoot for 2-6. If it really is better with 3, then 2-4 might make more sense.

But as mentioned above, what type of game is this? Are you hunting werewolves? or fighting WW II? These types of games would seem to have different numbers of players.

Do you have any intuitive idea of what number is best? If find it hard to believe that both 6 player and 3 player are just as good. That's not my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it more common to support 2-4 players, but I find many games I play handle 2-5. I have nothing against a four player limit, but I like support for five because of my groups I play with.

I would say it isn't worth it to go to 2-6 players, as I have some issue with games once they get too many players. My main example runs like this: If we have 6 people playing, I tend to prefer two 3-player games. This is obviously not always the case (I need to play TI3 with 6 or so sometime), but generally I feel more lost in larger player games when it is my first time at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmb
How much more equipment is needed for 6 players? If the game still works okay at that level with the usage of player supplied pad/pen/counters then you could say so in the rules but only supply the proper bits for4-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently the game is designed for 2-5 players and works well with all variations.

My concern is the abilty to gain proper funding via Kickstarter at that player count. I was considering a 2-4 player count to reduce the overall cost and the base funding goal and then based upon interest and demand... I could offer a 5th player option. This would allow me to fund a base level product and then scale up production based upon demand.

The 2-6 player option would require a redesign of the game board and component mix along with further testing. This option was only being considered if I could validate a demand for the higher player count. I was hoping to hear from other publishers on this one... Yet, with limited batch production and further price point consideration, it just isn't feasable.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawkins
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you can make the main game hold 2-4 players, provide 5th player materials as a Kickstarter add-on, and plan for a 6th player expansion later if demand justifies it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
if you're happy with a 2-5 player game and there's no more improvements to make, then heck, I'd suggest just getting it produced or whatever you do on kickstarter and move on to the next project. How much more glamor/money/fame/intellectual satisfication can you get if you go down a new road that you dont know where it leads?

Just saying, that's my hunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.