Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This in my idea for a "taste the rainbow" bonus.

Here's what I'm thinking:

There isn't a lot of incentive to take nigiri on it's own when there isn't much wasabi circulating. This is especially true for the one point egg nigiri, because unlike the dumpling, there is no possibility to increase it's value with subsequent hands. So how about a bonus if you get one of each type of nigiri in a single round?

This would make you think twice about passing on that egg if your neighbour already has a salmon and a squid. It might make you want to play a nigiri early to take it out of circulation instead of holding out in hopes you can get a wasabi into play first.

I would say it could be worth 5 points if you pull it off. This would be in addition to any points scored for the nigiri individually and the presence of wasabi would not have any bearing on the value of the bonus.

Let me know what you think. I think this adds a bit of fun, but I'm curious how others find it. Also, is a bonus 5 points a good valuation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
This idea intrigues me. I wonder if it would make wasabi, which I already think is the most powerful card, even more powerful. If you play a 1, 2, and 3/wasabi, it would now score a total of 17 points, or 4.25 points/card. Almost never will another card be worth that many points (tempura are 2.5 each, sashimi are 3.3 each, dumplings at most are 3 each). It would only happen if you had a really weird round in which you win sushi rolls with a single card or if only one pudding came out in the whole game. Perhaps, though, since it is a 4-card combo, it makes sense that it would pay more per card. After all, sashimi does pay more than tempura per card. And if other players let you get the rainbow they aren't paying attention. I will try it!

Edit - Just occurred to me that the 3/wasabi combo in and of itself is 4.5 points per card. Duh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily not paying attention, perhaps there are simply lumpy nigiri. To avoid the wasabi issue, you could simply disqualify wasabi-paired nigiri from the rainbow.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Vanilla and Bruce, for sharing your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.