Android: Netrunner» Forums » Variants

Subject: Multiplayer variants for 3-7 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Milagros Ramos-Elkins
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Hi guys! I'm a total noob to not only this board but also A:NR. My husband and I wanted a game we both liked that we could play together and we really like this. He wins most of the time, but that's because I am mostly playing corporation when we play and Jinteki core deck at that (I am determined to win with it against Shaper). Anyways, lately my strategy has gotten good enough to the point where we are both starting to think about how to make this a game for more than two players, so what we did is talk about how you could play with 3 or 4 players (1 being the runner, the rest being corporations), or even from 4-7 players (mix of runners and corporations). I wanted to share what we thought up, and see if anyone had any suggestions. We haven't tested it yet because no one we know has played the game, so we have to teach our friends first how to play the regular version before we test a multiplayer version. But I know a lot of people have big groups of friends that get together and have played in group variants and like to test things out, and are plain just more experienced than we are. Suggestions, comments? Please, be kind!

It's probably a good idea to read the basic rules we thought up first, because the two variants work off of them: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qh33c0k9iagit7h/Basic%20Android%20...

Then here are the modifiers for the 3-5 player game with only one runner and up to four corporations. There is a typo. It is meant to read "up to 5 players," and "up to 4 corporations.": https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uj3eui6zkilrge/3-Player%20Android...

Here are the modifiers for a 4-7 player game with a mix of runners and corporations. Option three under deck building should read "runner faction" not "corporation faction." I did proofread these, I just kept missing these bits I guess: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3og8ebz2m2eb506/4-Player%20Android...

I suppose there wouldn't have to be a maximum of players for either way, but I think after a while, it might get confusing and slow with more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure I understand: when a Corp does something to hurt the runner (SEA source, Neural EMP, etc.), it is helping the other Corps as well as itself? So only the currently-winning Corp is motivated to flatline the runner, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milagros Ramos-Elkins
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Well, as I understand your first question, yes, when one corporation hurts the runner, it is in all the corporations advantage. However, yes, the corporation that would most want to attempt to flatline the runner would be the winning corporation. I think what might remedy this could be two options off the top of my head:
1. Rival corporations could intervene in a flatlining action, such as perhaps paying a fee, perhaps the fee equivalent to using a prevent or avoid card. Perhaps it could be the highest install value of one of those cards, a rival corporation could pay to prevent a runner from flatlining. This could be especially interesting for the runner in a mixed bag runner/corp game, because the trailing corporations don't need all the runners alive, only one to take the lead. So the runners may see a progression from the corporations cooperating (without table talk) to take them out, and then as the numbers of active runners dwindles, a switch where now the trailing corporations, and especially corporations in last place who may have a good amount of credits, saving them, only to try to flatline them themselves later. This would open the opportunity for runners to solicit a save by offering immunity from them towards the saving corporations and could be a timed negotiation where by the end of the negotiation period, if the corporation likes the terms, they pay the fee, but if they don't, they let the runner flatline, at the possible risk of stepping closer to defeat. In a way, this fosters a type of double crossing dependence that I think fits the game plot well. I think 1 minute of negotiation time is enough to make a deal and also keep that nervous element. Runners could even secure this ahead of time for a one time use. I think these negotiations should each cost a click against the runner once it's used. Details obviously need to be filled out more.

OR

2. There could be a bonus agenda recovery from the flatlined runners steal pile towards whoever deals the final blow. This would make for some interesting game dynamics depending on how desperate a corporation is and how good their strategy is. Or even inexperienced player could do this on a gamble and they could still win by sheer chance.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milagros Ramos-Elkins
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Something I forgot to include is we also thought the runner in a single runner multiplayer game should be able to increase his base memory size by two for each additional corporation playing. This gives him more opportunity to have a varied rig against the different corporation ice breakers. This doesn't change the power of toolbox cards, or increase them or anything. Just increases the starting memory some. We do disagree on allowing the runner a larger grip in this type of game. I'm all for it, since he could be taken out easily in one corporation phase if everyone comes at him with damage cards, but my husband doesn't think this is necessary. Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steeve Beaupre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is something I posted on another multiplayer thread:

This is what friends and I have got going in terms of multiplayer :

Even number of players: equal measure Corp vs Runners

Odd number of players: More Runners by 1 (Corp 2 : Runners 3 in a 5 person game)

Corp:

All Corp players must play the same Corp.

Since big corporations have departments, that’s what every Corp player represents. Each player has his R+D and HQ. However, the company has but one archive and one common credit pool (called the Budget).
Corp players may look at unrezzed cards from other players and advance/rez other’s cards. When you fight against corporate, you fight the entire machine.

The Corp must score Agenda points equal to the number of Corp players x 7.

The Corp players gain the following actions:
Click: Look at another Corp player’s hand
Click: Trade cards with another Corp player, when that player plays his turn,he begins with 2 clicks.

Runners:

Seeing as many different unrelated Runners may attempt to hit a Corp at any given time, this is what is represented.

Runners play whatever they want.

Each player attempts to steal 7 agenda points as before. Each player is on his own, except for:

The Forum: The forum is a place where Runners can get tools under the Corps’ noses. It also serves as a larger hand. By placing a card here, you are waiting for a more opportune time to play it. If another player wants to use it, he may but must pay the owner 2CR.

Click: Place a card into the Forum
Click: Take a card you placed in the forum
Click, 2CR: Take a card another placed in the forum

Turns:

This has been the hard part of Multiplayer. I created 3 scenarios:
Juggernaut: (Clockwise) Corp, Runners, Corp, Runners, etc…

Duel: (Clockwise) Corp 1, Runner 1, Corp 2, Runner 2, and so forth…

RTS: Everyone has 10 tokens. Corp roll 1d10. Highest begins.

Corp plays. Pays 1 token.

Others bet a number of tokens. Highest bet begins. Then next highest.

If there is a tie between Corp and Runner, Runner goes first. If between teammates, players talk it out.

Once all bet tokens have been used, bet again with remaining tokens.

Repeat until all tokens are gone, renew 10 credits and start again.

Juggernaut and Duel have their upsides and downsides. RTS is more complicated but creates a very particular play structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.