Ben Bertrandt
msg tools
Hi Guys,

We played a swell game during our lunch hour but this question came up.

So Ezren just encountered an Enchanter. And her card reads: "Before the encounter, The Enchanter deals 1 Force Damage to you."

Ezren was going to use his Bracers of Protection which say, "Recharge this card to reduce combat damage dealt by 1."

My Question is: can I use the Bracers here? I'm unsure if the Enchanter's damage is combat damage because of the "before the encounter" text. We played it like Ezren was allowed to use them.

Then Part 2: The Enchanter card says, "After the encounter, the Enchanter Deals 1 Fire damage to you.

Thus my question to that is: can I use Ezren's Arcane Armor which says, "Discard this card to reduce Combat Damage dealt to you by 2."

We once again assumed Ezren could use this spell but we're a little foggy on it since the Enchanter card says "After the encounter" and the Arcane spell is saying the character is reducing combat damage.

Many thanks in advance for the wisdom +2 assist here,

Ben
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
The answer is, in both cases, no. Damage that happens outside of combat checks isn't combat damage, unless it specifically says otherwise. Which it often does.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bendbuddy wrote:
Hi Guys,

We played a swell game during our lunch hour but this question came up.

So Ezren just encountered an Enchanter. And her card reads: "Before the encounter, The Enchanter deals 1 Force Damage to you."

Ezren was going to use his Bracers of Protection which say, "Recharge this card to reduce combat damage dealt by 1."

My Question is: can I use the Bracers here? I'm unsure if the Enchanter's damage is combat damage because of the "before the encounter" text. We played it like Ezren was allowed to use them.

Then Part 2: The Enchanter card says, "After the encounter, the Enchanter Deals 1 Fire damage to you.

Thus my question to that is: can I use Ezren's Arcane Armor which says, "Discard this card to reduce Combat Damage dealt to you by 2."

We once again assumed Ezren could use this spell but we're a little foggy on it since the Enchanter card says "After the encounter" and the Arcane spell is saying the character is reducing combat damage.

Many thanks in advance for the wisdom +2 assist here,

Ben


Those cards only reduce combat damage. The Enchanter's before and after damage isn't combat damage because it doesn't say "Combat".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless otherwise stated in the damage modifier or without the specific timing of resulting from a combat check, damage is not considered combat.

If I remember correctly, the Enchanter deals force damage before the encounter and fire damage after the encounter. Neither of these instances are combat damage, because combat is during the encounter.

However, there are some cards that specify that they deal combat damage before the encounter. This is specified by the modifier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bertrandt
msg tools
Hi James, Steve and DP,

Yepppppp. That is making sense.

Here was a rule book passage another forum pal noted for me but he wasn't sure on the answer.

===

When you take damage, you and other players may play cards and use powers that reduce or otherwise affect the specific type of damage you’re taking. If you’re taking Fire damage, for example, you may play cards that reduce Fire damage, or cards that reduce all damage, but you may not play cards that reduce only Electricity or Poison damage. Just as with attempting a check, each player may play no more than one of each card type.

===

However, the more I re-read the cards and my question, I'm in total agreement with all of you. "Before and After the encounter" sure does sound like out of combat to me.

Gads, that Enchanter monster is a bad ass. Even using Ezren's sleep spell to evade is not going to get me out of taking ultimately 2 damage

Thanks for commenting on this one, guys. Always feels better to have another player echo what was in my large baseball cap sized head.

Ben
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bendbuddy wrote:
[...]
Gads, that Enchanter monster is a bad ass. Even using Ezren's sleep spell to evade is not going to get me out of taking ultimately 2 damage
[...]
Ben
An evaded monster does not have an encounter. An evaded monster is pretty much entirely ignored and shuffled back into the deck. It is neither defeated nor undefeated, and there is no before or after the encounter, since there is no encounter at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bertrandt
msg tools
Ahhhhhh - very true DP. Righto. Evade is like the thing never happened. Good point.

That sleep spell just shuffles the monster back into the deck so one of us is still gonna ultimately fight him (and take those 2 damage).

Yeash.

Ben
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, something to keep in mind, and this is one of the things that makes the Enchanter so bad, is that items that reduce damage (there's one that reduces 3 damage, so it CAN reduce the force and fire damage), can be used to reduce one damage or the other, but not both, even though it can reduce 3.

The damages happen at two different times (three different times if the Enchanter manages to damage you during combat), and those three different times are three times damage is dealt. If you have to play the card to stop the Force damage before the encounter, it doesn't carry over and stop 2 more damage later.

So, yes, the Enchanter can be scarrrrrrrrry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bendbuddy wrote:
That sleep spell just shuffles the monster back into the deck so one of us is still gonna ultimately fight him (and take those 2 damage).


Not necessarily. If you defeat the henchman or villain first and close the location, you won't have to encounter the enchanter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.