Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleaxe....a new kickstarter, looks pretty interesting. At $65, it is reasonably priced and seems to have a charming uniqueness to it. I am not sure about the stylized figures and the funding target is pretty high. I do like some of the gameplay elements....wall building, towers and logging all in one game. Thoughts?

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Battleaxe....a new kickstarter, looks pretty interesting. At $65, it is reasonably priced and seems to have a charming uniqueness to it. I am not sure about the stylized figures and the funding target is pretty high. I do like some of the gameplay elements....wall building, towers and logging all in one game. Thoughts?

-Ski

For the amount of components in the game, $65 seems very reasonable. The figures are different, but I like the fresh approach. There have been several games out lately with detailed plastic minis. The building and logging is what originally drew me to the game. It reminds me a little of the old Warcraft computer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found this today thanks to TableTopGaming News. This looks right up my alley, but that is a pretty tough funding goal to achieve. That is the kind of funding that a new player to the gaming industry might achieve by nearly complete surprise after a huge marketing/word of mouth surge and after ten/fifteen stretch goals have been reached. I don't know that I've seen any completely new designers ask for so much right away and walk away successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LegoRick wrote:
Just found this today thanks to TableTopGaming News. This looks right up my alley, but that is a pretty tough funding goal to achieve. That is the kind of funding that a new player to the gaming industry might achieve by nearly complete surprise after a huge marketing/word of mouth surge and after ten/fifteen stretch goals have been reached. I don't know that I've seen any completely new designers ask for so much right away and walk away successful.

It is a lofty goal, which I hope he makes. Hard to say what will happen, but some interesting stretch goals would most likely help the project along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob bob
msg tools
This reminds me somewhat of the old Feudal game. I hope it funds it looks like it could be a good one cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Scott
Australia
Pakenham
Victoria
flag msg tools
I'm enthusiastic about this game, but the huge amount of cash for funding concerns me - still I backed it and hope it succeeds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D James
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Glos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see more gameplay before making up my mind. Watching two turns where each player moved two or three pieces and attacked wasn't very exciting. I'd rather see a number of turns from later in the game with fortifications built, archers positioned etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Ryan
United States
Idyllwild
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for the interest guys!

I recently posted the Rule Book and a Print-and-Play version, for free download on the Kickstarter page, if anyone is interested.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nickryan/battleaxe?ref=b...

Thanks again,
-Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick Ryan wrote:

I recently posted the Rule Book and a Print-and-Play version, for free download on the Kickstarter page, if anyone is interested.

Thanks again,
-Nick

Shame really. Looking at the rulebook, it is obvious that you put a hell of a lot of effort into this. I hope that you will find a way to get the game out to the masses somehow. It looks truly unique.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Nick Ryan wrote:

Thanks again,
-Nick

Shame really. Looking at the rulebook, it is obvious that you put a hell of a lot of effort into this. I hope that you will find a way to get the game out to the masses somehow. It looks truly unique.

-Ski

I agree, there was a lot of work put into this game. As I stated in the KS page I like the idea of trying to get a cheaper funding goal by using counters or tokens instead of the minis, then have the minis as a stretch reward. With that said I really like the minis and would prefer the game with those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
Teamski wrote:
Nick Ryan wrote:

Thanks again,
-Nick

-Ski

I agree, there was a lot of work put into this game. As I stated in the KS page I like the idea of trying to get a cheaper funding goal by using counters or tokens instead of the minis, then have the minis as a stretch reward. With that said I really like the minis and would prefer the game with those.

I fully concur. Hopefully.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Ryan
United States
Idyllwild
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello BattleAxe Fans.

So I'm working on the re-launch pretty hard now.

Some key fixes/changes:

1. The "Army Maps" will be multi-use cardboard sheets with "damage" markers to denote individual warriors health points and so on.
--No pens or writing necessary!--- this new mechanic works really well in play-testing so far.

2. The Towers and Walls will be the only plastic pieces in the game to start, this will save HUGE on the funding goal. I think I'll "detail" them out a little more to be more realistic as well.

3. All cardboard "miniatures". Highly detailed full-color illustrations with Rank and stats. Each warrior, king and horse will be drawn separately with their own personality, front and back.
Example:
http://www.monkeyinthecage.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Pa...
Kickstarter Reward Idea: Backers' faces on the warriors?..
Each Army will have their own "theme" as well. Example: the black army: "The Dark Horde" and the blue army: "The Berserkers". Each Armies' "Army Map" would have their own corresponding theme and color along with them.

Don't have the quote yet from the manufacturer, but I think it'll be around 20,000 or so? hopefully less.

**QUESTION**
Will these cardboard miniatures be cool enough for the game? I don't really want to do plastic pieces for a stretch goal because it would still then make it $110,000 and I would loose the uniqueness of each of the armies personalities, plus the costs of hiring an awesome sculptor.

**1 MORE QUESTIONS...***
How good of an idea is it to include a comic book (drawn and written by me) that tells a short story leading up to the battle between the 2 armies. Then YOU finish the story by playing BattleAxe and finishing the battle...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Ryan
United States
Idyllwild
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
*****I can also do stretch goals for Amy Sets with different themed Armies? (All uniquely, realistically illustrated)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick Ryan wrote:
*****I can also do stretch goals for Amy Sets with different themed Armies? (All uniquely, realistically illustrated)

First of all.....this is great news!!! cool

Next while I really think your original minis were unique and I wanted them to be included, I think standups will be just fine; especially with the artwork you've already displayed.

A comic book is a great idea and I don't think I've seen one supplied with a boardgame before.

Having additional armies as stretch goals would be great! One thing I've noticed that helps other KS projects is making stretch rewards so backers (or potential backers) think they need to boost the funding up because they "need" the additional items. Especially if you make "KS only" items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Case
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Nick
I only now became aware of this because of a KS banner ad here on BGG. A shame your original effort wasn't promoted more.
Your design looks brilliant...and crazy fun!
If you're successful in your re-launch, I'll gladly kick in.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Ryan
United States
Idyllwild
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello BattleAxe supporters!

Check out this little card game I just launched on Kickstarter:

"POT" The Card Game
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nickryan/pot-the-card-g...

Insanely fun.

Check it out, and spread the word

P.S. Still working hard on the BattleAxe relaunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in knowing if you needed to get any permissions for what is basically a re-theme of Pit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Ryan
United States
Idyllwild
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Almost every single rule is different or changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.