Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Hero Clash" (working title) (rules brainstorming) (RetConned post)

I don't really like HeroClix, but I have fun collecting them. I have been working on a superhero miniatures game for my own enjoyment to utilize these figures, by designing cards with my own publisher.

This game, which I'm calling Hero Clash, utilizes four statistics for each hero and three unique abilities, shown on a superate "hero card". In addition, I'm making a small deck of special cards (about 6-10 cards) for each hero to represent one-shot or special effects. For example, Batman has a "batarangs" card that can be used to throw a ranged attack or to disarm another character. Robin, Batman, and Batgirl all have some variation of the "batarangs" card that gets an additional benefit such as armor penetration, re-roll misses, or extra damage against distracted foes.

All of the "special effects" cards have keywords that play off eachother. So, for example, Psylocke's "sword master" card (for extra melee damage and attacks against multiple adjacent foes) can be countered if an opponent discards a card with the "Disarm" keyword, such as Batman's "batarangs" or Cyclops' "precision blast".

Here's my problem: I've been working out things like scale of movement, how attacks work, obstacles, stealth, statistics, and the effects of various cards and how their keywords interact with each other but I haven't developed any basic rules on how cards are managed.

If you have a team of superheroes (or villains), and each hero/villain has 5-10 cards, what's the best way to work with that?

Have all 50+ cards in your hand at once so you can choose from them?
Choose only a couple of cards per hero at the start of the game?
Break them all into separate decks so you can choose which deck to draw from?
Mix all the cards together into a deck and draw randomly?

What's the best option here? Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh oh, the opening post has been retconned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame the Agents of SHIELD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brook - if you go back and edit your original post, and make IT look like the thread starter, we can all re-edit posts and causality loop the thread back into something useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Hero Clash" (working title) (rules brainstorming) (RetConned post)
This project was put aside in favor of development on my starship dueling game, but I've taken a break from that and have been playing a lot of HeroClix lately, which made me think about this project again.

I'm still not sure what to do about/with the cards, but I've been working on other problems. (Interchangeable items & equipment turned out to be a really bad idea...)

Any suggestions on how to acquire/manage/use the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Cook
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if I understand, but I may recommend separating each hero's deck of cards, and then flipping over the top two or three cards. When you use the card it recycled to the bottom of the deck.

Or when you use a card, you can look through your deck and choose which one you want to add to your selection of available cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.