UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first week of August, I starting inquiring from Mr. Tullsen about purchasing some games. He responded to me via geekmail nearly instantaneously each time, sometimes multiple times in a day. I decided to purchase both 1849 and Rolling Stock.

I paypaled the money to Mr Tullsen for one game on the 8th and then one on the 9th. I asked about the approximate time to expect the games. Mr. Tullsen informed me that he was going to gencon and it would take him a few more weeks. I was in no rush, so this wasn't a problem.

I received the games around September 10. 1849 was complete, outside of a eps board that wasn't included. Rolling stock was missing 3/4 of the components, and the remaining pieces were supposed to be double sided, but instead came separated out into two sets of one sided. On September 10, I sent him an email explaining that the Rolling Stock components were not correct, and I provided him with a picture from BGG of all the components.

He sent me an email back the very next day saying, "Hmm, it appears I moved some of the files out of my main print folder which is why I didn't see all the other files. Also, the first customer I did the rolling stock for didn't mention the double sided issue, which is why I didn't catch it this time. I'll reprint ASAP! Sorry about that! " To this, I sent him back an email that same day saying thanks, and asking if I could purchase an eps board for 1849.

5 days went by without a response. I sent him a followup email just asking if he received my question about the board and asking for a rough estimate of the missing components. I received no response. I sent a GM on the 18th in case the emails weren't getting through his filter. No response. I sent another email on Saturday, the 21st. To this one, I got back the following response. "I'll get to you as soon as I can. I have a huge backlog of emails/geekmails and I'm getting to them as fast as I can. "

So, it went from daily or next day responses to a week and a half... and then just a "when I get around to it I will respond." All I wanted to know was roughly when it was coming.

I sent one final email yesterday, Wednesday, the 25th. 2 weeks of no answers. I have yet to hear back.

What should I do? At first he answered gms/emails almost immediately. As soon as the games arrived incomplete, I got a response followed by two weeks of silence. This isn't acceptable to me. I spent a decent amount of money with him, and all I am looking for is a real response. How could you wait for a week and a half and then not bother to give the one sentence answer that is required? Instead, he writes in a sentence that he will get back when he "has the time."

In comparison, I ordered games from Nestorgames, and although it has been delayed for a while, he always writes back within a day or so, happy to answer any questions and to keep me updated. I've had over 150 transactions combined between trades and purchases/sales and I have yet to have anything approaching this.

Should I go through paypal and dispute this? How many more weeks of silence should I wait through? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TLDR: Terrible lack of communication, over 2 months for delivery, didn't bother proofing the products before sending them out, purposely ignoring emails, no email with tracking info... Use at your own risk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Glave
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
He may have had some sort of emergency that he is trying to recover from. I've worked with him in the past and he was very professional. I'm sure he'll come through for you, just give him some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawog wrote:
He may have had some sort of emergency that he is trying to recover from. I've worked with him in the past and he was very professional. I'm sure he'll come through for you, just give him some time.

Judging by the beginning interactions, I'd be inclined to agree. However, it is getting to be bizarre. He clearly got the email and could respond. In the same time that he took to respond, he could have told me if there was an emergency or some other delay. All I am asking for is a bit of communication.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a pretty smooth transaction with Andrew. There was a slight hiccup with my order, which took about 2-3 weeks to fix, which he did at his expense.

I wasn't in any particular hurry, so the snafu and delay had little impact on me.

I'd definitely deal with him again.

Sorry you're having trouble. While it doesn't always make things better, I try to remember that he's probably a 1-person shop, with a day job and other responsibilities. And then I think of all the people asking him about order status and errors in the middle of new orders.

That's just how I take a step back and cope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 vote for just wait it out...

I definitely wouldn't file a dispute with Paypal given there is no previous record that he's anything but a stand up guy who's probably very busy running a one-man show on the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much longer do you guys suggest I wait without hearing anything? It's been over 2 weeks so far. Would another 2 weeks be reasonable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered something from him recently, didn't hear anything for a while till i actively emailed him, and then he said he was really busy, came through with an excellent product. I think you'll get it delivered just hang tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the guy has a one man operation going on, but he's gained popularity from his recent Kickstarter. Sounds like when you first contacted him he was in a slow period, and now after you noticed the mistakes, he may have got hit with a ton of orders simultaneously.

Like the majority of this thread, I'd suggest just to wait it out. Every time I've corresponded with him, he's been extremely professional. I'm certain that if he hasn't had a chance to get to you so far, that there's a very good reason for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - I've ordered multiple products through the years with him, and some waits have been long or short, but the product has always been terrific. I'd give him some more time. Unless something is changed, he's always been reliable - must be really busy right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for just be patient. He's just now finishing the final shipments from his Kickstarter campaign (on which he's taking a HUGE loss BTW, according to his most recent update), and is likely dealing with the logistics for the part he's playing US shipper for the Goblins vs Zombies Kickstarter going on now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bakker
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew is also a grad student and the semester just started so he may be busy with school work too. I have had multiple interactions with Andrew and have only good things to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on waiting it out. I've had Andrew make two games for me and I have found his communication goes down the busier he gets but he always delivers a great product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that the game is playable, the problem is you have something that just doesn't look like the photo's you looked at, is that correct?

Andrew (Mr. Tullsen) does some great work and seems to me (from limited interactions) to be a swell guy.

I would give it some more time.

He is a small operation supplying a special product. And unlike big company's that have stock on hand, a secretary to answer e-mails, and a gofer that handles shipping. Andrew must publish each piece, answer inquiries, ship, and go about his daily business. He apologized for his mistake, told you what happened, and told you how he would solve it. Later he told you why his responses were taking a while.

Maybe you did not relies he is a very small operation and if he is answering e-mails everyday he is not producing games.

Honestly I believe your game is playable, Andrew (Mr. Tullsen) is a stand up guy, and he is not going to leave you high and dry. And for the buck Andrew offers a great product for the price.

So in my honest opinion

No dispute with PayPal
Give it another 10 days to hear from him then e-mail him again OR
2 More weeks before you consider to open a dispute, if you really think it is worth it. YMMV

(does double-sided pieces verses 2 single sided pieces effect game play? It probably cost Andrew more that way. Did you lose value? I don't know so I can't say)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pepperhead wrote:
I see that the game is playable, the problem is you have something that just doesn't look like the photo's you looked at, is that correct?

Andrew (Mr. Tullsen) does some great work and seems to me (from limited interactions) to be a swell guy.

I would give it some more time.

He is a small operation supplying a special product. And unlike big company's that have stock on hand, a secretary to answer e-mails, and a gofer that handles shipping. Andrew must publish each piece, answer inquiries, ship, and go about his daily business. He apologized for his mistake, told you what happened, and told you how he would solve it. Later he told you why his responses were taking a while.

Maybe you did not relies he is a very small operation and if he is answering e-mails everyday he is not producing games.

Honestly I believe your game is playable, Andrew (Mr. Tullsen) is a stand up guy, and he is not going to leave you high and dry. And for the buck Andrew offers a great product for the price.

So in my honest opinion

No dispute with PayPal
Give it another 10 days to hear from him then e-mail him again OR
2 More weeks before you consider to open a dispute, if you really think it is worth it. YMMV

(does double-sided pieces verses 2 single sided pieces effect game play? It probably cost Andrew more that way. Did you lose value? I don't know so I can't say)

No. As I stated, 3/4 of the components are completely absent. Of the remaining 1/4, half of those are misprinted. The game is COMPLETELY unplayable, as it is missing pretty much all of the components.

In case you are curious. I am missing: "I do not have any of the 100 shares, 10 of each of the 10 corporations identified by their symbols(bottom right of your picture). I do not have 10 symbol cards(top of your picture). I do not have 5 grey player order cards. I do not have the foreign investor card. "

Picture of everything is here- http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1374075/rolling-stock.

I am missing most of the right half, and part of the left half, as well as the left half cards being split into two.

As for whether it affects gameplay, I do not know, as I have not played it. However, the component list does call for it to be double sided. I don't recall as to whether it would be easy for me to match both sides up or not.

I do not mind waiting at all. I am in no rush. All I am asking for is a simple update about what is going on. Instead of him telling me that he is taking time to go through a backlog, simply telling me that a kickstarter went on and he is starting school would have sufficed.

I have also been informed by someone, who would like to remain anonymous, that they are currently having similar troubles reaching him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered a few things from him and I've NEVER had a problem. Additionally, the quality has been top-notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the minority that had a problem with my first order with Andrew - the key seems to be patient and keep in contact regardless of how intermittent the contact may seem.

From his Facebook page, he's been busy:
Quote:

Print & Play Productions
September 23
I've been so busy, I haven't had any time to keep you guys updated! I just shipped about 300 orders in the past 2 weeks. That was the majority of the Last Frontier kickstarter stuff. Whew, that was a lot of boxes.

I would also try to using the chat feature on his website (http://printplaygames.com/, chat will appear in the bottom right corner if he's online - and he's online now if you're reading this soon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:

No. As I stated, 3/4 of the components are completely absent. Of the remaining 1/4, half of those are misprinted. The game is COMPLETELY unplayable, as it is missing pretty much all of the components.

Sorry I totally missed that the first time. I still have to say give him some more time maybe he has had something major come up.

I can much more understand your frustration with 3/4 of the components completely missing. (man a hole in my head for missing that as well, sorry again)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update... He emailed me back today. He offered to print the EPS board for free since it has taken so long, though he didn't give me an estimate. As long as I am getting a response though, I am happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New update. 2 more weeks of nothingness. Sent out another email last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to give the conclusion. I received the remaining pieces about a week later.

Whole process took 2 months and 1 week. While I am happy to have received everything finally, the whole process was unprofessional from start to finish. A month or more of silence from him. He received the emails, yet did not feel like responding, other than to say that he was busy.

This is not what I expect from a business.

Comparatively, my recent order with Nestorgames was delayed, but Nestor responded to all emails incredibly promptly, and with new information as he had it. It was a wonderful process.

TLDR: Terrible lack of communication, over 2 months for delivery, didn't bother proofing the products before sending them out, purposely ignoring emails, no email with tracking info... Use at your own risk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I didn't see this till now.

I did go dark during the month of September, and a lot of stuff got delayed.

I shipped ~320 Last Frontier packages out from my kickstarter during September ($30,000 worth of product). During that time I was replying to my 285 backers getting address updates, etc.

October 5th I moved into a new office across the border in a new state. This required a lot of my time from taxes, to physically moving things to, to setting everything up. 500 square feet is a lot of product and stuff.

Both the kickstarter and the office move were both very taxing on my time. I get 50 some emails a day and going through my email each day telling each person "don't have time to get to you right now, I'm busy moving and figuring out how to register in a new state and I just finished shipping 300 boxes" takes time, and I opted to get back to as many of them as I could in the time I had. I'm still a one man show and working 70 hours a week on this.

In regards to the misprinted game, part of that I failed to see all the files that needed to be printed, and part of that, I had printed up the game for someone previously and they wanted the cards single sided (they sleeved them). So I had to go back and reformat the files to get them double sided so I could reprint them for you.

All that to say, hopefully you are happy with the final product and I'm sorry it took so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.