Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
noodles
United States
greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, I just played the forcemaster and absolutely whooped up on a beastmaster.

It pretty much went like this:

I started in the bottom right corner, my opponent the top left. The board laying horizontally.

My first turn I brought two thoughtspores into the game and put exploding fists on each. The beastmaster casted two mana flowers, one in his starting corner and one in the square to the right. I then walked my entire group two spaces along the left edge and put on my force ring. The beastmaster then walked one square down and casted another flower and the lair. I moved my entire group into the bottom left corner and unleashed both thoughtspores and a force hammer which slammed his mage. The following turn the beastmaster spawned some creatures, one with his lair and one with his quick cast, to help but then was mana depleted. I attacked three more times and slammed him again with another force hammer. By the end of the round he was already nearly dead. His next move was to have the mage run and I countered by pursuing and using my last force hammer (2 range). Done.

He never even damaged me and all in all I think I killed him in the 5th round.

We are both new players so I'm sure there were things the beastmaster could have done differently but I was really aggressive and he didn't leave himself any options since he was mana depleted every turn trying to get his beasts on the board. Even if he had healed, it only would have bought him an additional round.

So, is the beastmaster just that bad against the forcemaster? We played beastmaster vs. warlock previously and it was a much closer match with the warlock winning two out of three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Summoning a creature is a full action, therefore you can't summon two Thought Spores on your first turn.

Also if you move two spaces with your Mage you cannot make a quick action unless you have the Fast ability.

As for tactics, the Beastmaster needs some ranged attacks against the Thought Spores or some cheap flying creatures. Thought Spores are very fragile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Thomas noted, You should not have been able to play both of those Thoughtspores turn 1, and you should not have been able to move twice and still cast 2 spells turn 2. If you had played those 2 turns correctly, it would have significantly reduced your ability to apply pressure over the first 4 turns, which would have allowed your opponent's conjuration heavy opening more of a chance to set up defense and start to see some return from those investments.

What did you mean by Exploding Fists? Did you mean Invisible Fist?

As for the Beastmaster, the outcome of this session is not the result of the strengths of the Forcemaster and weaknesses of the Beastmaster, but instead illustrates the problem with overcommitting to your economy when your opponent is aggressive. Playing Rhino Hide or Bearskin for 2 armor would have drastically reduced the damage he was taking as a very simple example of something he could have done to reduce the pressure he was under.

I've had games against most mages that went something like this session, although most of them involved a Steelclaw or Lord of Fire rather than Thoughtspores. The ones involving Thoughtspores were before the nerf to Battle Fury. If your opponent overcommits to long term play without getting any effective defense going, if you're aggressive, you'll just kill them.

Thunderdrift Falcon swarms tend to be good against the Forcemaster. They allow you to kill off Thoughtspores and Galvitar does not shoot up. The FM can use attack spells to kill them, but if she's spending mana on attack spells on your creatures, you're probably in decent shape, particularly if you have a Lair up to spam creatures out of. Sleep spam can be a real issue for level 1 swarms, which is why I'm looking forward to the release of the promo card Wand of Healing. As things stand, you must kill any Thoughtspore with Sleep on it if you want to get any significant use out of your creatures.

I tend to think that Lair is too expensive to justify for the Straywood Beastmaster, since you can already swarm quite effectively with Quick Summoning, but it's great for the Johktari Beastmaster.

1-2 big strategies tend to suffer against the Forcemaster due to Mind Control and Charm, so going that route is a bit precarious unless you have a creature that's immune to Mind Control (like Iron Golem, Goran, Werewolf Pet, or Giant Wolf Spider). Your options for Nature Mage only or Psychic Immune creatures is pretty limited.

Giant Wolf Spider may well be the best nature creature against the FM, but it can't take advantage of many of the BM's animal synergies, and I haven't tested it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noodles
United States
greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the responses. First off I did not move two spaces and attack. I moved two spaces and did not cast with my normal action but I did attack with my quick cast. Sorry, I should have specified that.

Yes, I meant Invisible Fists, not Exploding Fists. Sorry, I was going from memory.

About bringing both out on turn 1, I'll have to look at the symbols but I thought for sure that they were both quick cast cards. If they were full actions then I did screw that up.

But it's good to know that if one mage is being aggressive the other mage must adjust their long term strategy for the immediate need to get their defenses up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can take 1 turn for econ even against incredibly aggressive opponents, but sinking your first 4 actions and 30 mana into long term mana/action advantage is overcommitting against a hardcore rush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this scenario the Beastmaster would have lost against any opponent who would have went straight after him after the start of the match. Especially the forcemaster is known for getting into the fray fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Reading this is so exciting. I still feel I am just scratching the surface with this game, reading about all those tactics. You guys would probably wipe the floor with me, but what a learning experience that would be.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the Thoughtspores have appeared the Beastmaster should have summoned a Falcon Pet or an Elemental Wand with Jet Stream attached (or both). Either one would have solved the "Thoughtspore situation"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noodles
United States
greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm still learning myself and like the previous poster said, it's like I'm just scratching the surface with this game. I love how rewarding it can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.