Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Goss
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay why does Kreigspiel get such a bad rap? In many ways it's very similar to Tactics II.

They are both very abstract games showing basic elements of strategy and combat. Both games work well enough at portraying modern (1950s to 1960s era) combat and seem to be good introductory level games for new gamers.

Not sure why Kriegspiel gets such a bad rap all the time.

Please post any comments in a polite manner. I'm just curious and want to know you opinions.

I have played Tactics II and experimented with Kriegspiel.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played and enjoyed both.
I think both of them get low ratings for a variety of reasons:

- because people move on to other things and then judge from the perspective of 2013, not 1970.
- because they are generic Red vs. Blue exercises that no one could identify with - Blitzkrieg, another AH oldie, got the same treatment.
- because in Kriegspiel combat is diceless: This has never sat well with wargamers. If they'd come up with an optional CRT and thrown a die into the box, it probably would have done better - you already have to figure out the odds ratio.
- Kriegspiel is too small. Games are over so quickly you feel you never had a chance, but there somehow isnt' the impetus to set it up and try again.
- Tactics II, by contrast, has a 1d6 CRT and is plenty big, but games always end up as a two-line shoving match in the middle of the board. It took a few variants before things loosened up, but by then you're back in Blitzkrieg territory.

Just my thoughts offa the toppa my head,

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian has it pretty well laid out(off the top of his head )

Kriegspiel as a stand alone copy was OK as a intro game but it's small map area and unit count didn't make for very interesting games(but it had some nice optional rules).

But when you add in multible copies like I have over the years(8 copies plus extra map & counter set) for a 10 panel game board and the blaks used for new different types of units and even using the old AH Classics CRT it became somewhat fun(in a big way) .I was never a fan of the tac card combat resolution

Tactics II was nice back when it came out but it wasn't until variants in the General and other places adding in more units etc that it got that down the middle stalemate to open up greatly.

But I still drag out both games every year to play. Nostalgia yes plus still both are good for when wanting a simple system to just have a afternoon with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kim!
There were and are some great optional ideas in Kriegspiel, and you're right, adding boards and pieces makes the game come alive.
The diceless combat system, which BGG says came from a football strategy game, inspired Jim Stahler to mate it with the CRT from Blitzkrieg (in a big variant article in the March-April 1982 issue of the General), and I modified it further in my games Autumn Mist: The Battle of the Bulge, Summer Lightning: The Invasion of Poland 1939, and Balkan Gambit.

So Kriegspiel ain't all bad....

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.