Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd been thinking of getting into Summoner Wars and had a-few questions about the master set.

According to this video, some later printings don't come with an insert. This is a-bit of a deal breaker for me, and I was wondering if there was any way to determine if a set has the insert or not? Serial number, weight, something like that.

Also, while reading through the forums looking for sleeve recommendations(decided on Dek-Prot protect, btw) I came across mention of cards from different printings differing in thickness. Could anyone explain this in detail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The later printings come in a smaller (standard 12" x 12") box. The insert is nice, but the new printings come with plenty of bags for the decks, and the non-oversized box is much easier to store. YMMV, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I don't believe the lack of an insert should be a deal breaker. This game seems prime for custom insert options. While I don't personally have a complete set, I can already see how the original master set insert would be overwhelmed with the number of decks available.

The master set has 10 wells for cards, but there are 16 factions, plus the still in progress 16 second summoner decks. So even without the reinforcement packs, you're looking at 32 complete decks. It looks like you can fit about 4 decks (maybe 3 for factions like Orcs that have additional cards) per well unsleeved and I don't want to think about the organizational aspect.

Old dimensions are still listed on Amazon. about 13.8" x 13.8".

Worst case you may still be able to find someone who wants to swap their old master set box for a new one. Also keep in mind that the new master set comes with a single piece board while the old set used two pieces.

As far as the differences in card sizes, I believe the cards printed before the master set were a different size (the two starter sets, Vanguards and Fallen, possibly Cloaks and Jungles Elves and some reinforcements?) but from what I could tell most of that stock had sold out by the time the new print runs in the standard, master set size hit store shelves. So I think the chance of coming across the old run from the major retailers should be slim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Eric wrote:
I don't believe the lack of an insert should be a deal breaker.

You're right, I should have phrased that better. What I meant was I'd be willing to hold of on buying it if I could insure I'd get a copy with the insert.
The lack of available wells don't matter to me as much because some factions just don't appeal to me and I don't intend on collecting them.

Not Eric wrote:
but from what I could tell most of that stock had sold out by the time the new print runs in the standard, master set size hit store shelves. So I think the chance of coming across the old run from the major retailers should be slim.

That simplifies things, thanks both of you for the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original huge box with the insert, but sadly my Summoner Wars collection has already outgrown the insert. I'd kill for a smaller box though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you own one of everything - the original insert is too small (certainly too small by the end of the second summoner decks) - so I wouldn't get hung up on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have the original with all possible cards and 4 of each custom dice. Everything barely fits, but it's not pretty. (But I'm not complaining -- it's a great problem to have!)

At some point, I'd like to remove the insert and create "ranks" in my box to set all cards on their sides. I'd have tabs to easily store and find everything, breaking down each Summoner with their cards, and then each faction's remaining cards.

That'd be the ideal solution, IMHO, which I hope to make someday... just not sure how.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as this thread is active, which decks would you recommend I teach the game with? I've seen answers ranging from "Vargoth & Shadow Elves" to "Anything but Swamp Orcs & Benders".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the most accessible factions in the Master Set are Shadow Elves and Sand Goblins. Even Swamp Orcs and Benders aren't so bad, though. (Actually, I think the Deep Dwarves are the hardest to play well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Monkey
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the insert is going to be very useful if you're planning on sleeving the cards. The wells of the insert get slightly narrower as they taper down to the bottom. This resulted in the corners of my sleeves (only the decks at the bottommost spot of each well) getting bent upward so that they curl. They're still usable, but it makes it harder to shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welp, ended up picking a second run MS up the other day.

Gotta say, you guys were right about storage. A first printing would've ended up awkwardly hanging over the side of the shelf. An insert would've been nice, but I'm not gonna complain.

I've only been able to play a-few games but I like what I see so far. Any advice for playing Sand Goblins? Haven't been able to get the hang of them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaid
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Master Set box actually fits all the original 16 summoners, all reinforcements and all the 16 second summoners. It was designed to accommodate them all. This doesn't include owning all the dice, and sleeving your cards, which is likely why some are complaining that they've already over extended the use of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
As somebody who owns all the cards released so far, I'm gonna have to go ahead and cry foul.

There's no way everything will fit once all the second summoners are out. Removing my one-of-each set of faction dice isn't going to make room for more than one 2nd summoner deck at best.

It's just not going to work unless I get rid of the insert,

And even if you're talking about the smaller box, I've got a lot of skepticism about believing that claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But isn't an abundance of riches the kind of problem that's good to have?

My original MS box was fine for fitting all 16 factions even while sleeved ( tho there is the curling problem on the sleeves), but it will not be able to hold all the second summoners in the insert. If I travel with my SWs set I plan to put the cards in cardboard card boxes. I'd like to see special Summoner Wars card boxes; I suggested this to Colby and he said he was already considering the possibility. I have no idea whether or when they would actually appear. Maybe if there's enough popular demand ... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Falzone
United States
Waterford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
So I just got my master set today and while I love the game I have to say that I am not wild about the box. It is probably more my OCD on it than anything else though. Lots of room for the expansions.

The insert in the newer addition has 2 sides, one bigger than the other, and it came with about 50 large bags. I like it when games include extra baggies because I always have that one game that needs a new baggie.

The bags are way too big for the cards though, and at the same time too small so that they could go in long-ways instead of tall-ways. They don't work well with the game at all and I am not sure why they even included them.

The small side of the box is big enough to fit the cards if you don't want to use the baggies that came with the game. With the baggies they don't fit in there well.

The large side doesn't fit 2 side by side long-ways, and is too big for 2 side-by-side short-ways.

Also the cards have to lie down in the box they cannot stand up, unless you store the board separately.

I think there are several custom inserts for this box that work really well, I think I am going to look into getting one so my OCD on this insert doesn't drive me nuts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Falzone
United States
Waterford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I started printing these off and crafting them up with 110# Cardstock:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/73392/faction-boxes

Printed at 97% Scale they fit in the new Master Box 3X3 so you could get 9 in one box if you remove the provided cardboard insert. They are just a little too tall to double up so you could fit 18 boxes and the board. But if you don't mind your box not closing by 1/4" they work great. I don't have the custom dice either so maybe I could modify them a little to work better for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

If you are yet to try the game I would strongly recommend picking up a starter set first, comes with 2 factions and everything you need to play a game. It’s much cheaper than the master set and a good place to start from or opt out without too much cash up front.

If your set on the master set and worried about storing the factions, please note I do make these available which can be used to store a LOT of cards (approximately 2500 / 3000 cards) which is suitable for the square (second edition) Master Set box.

Viking1899's Insert
Hi Dan!

Got my package today! I'm a very happy camper!
Perfect fit!

There is 16 factions in the full SW set, and 4 new on the way. There is loads of space for more. Excellent!

Sleeved using Mayday Premium Chimera sleeves.

More information on this insert can be found within the geek list here –

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/152772/uk-based-card-s...

Whatever you decide to do good luck and enjoy the game, its currently one of our favourite games with the highest number of recorded plays

All the best
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.