Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Olejnicak
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on making a dice tower for a friends daughter out of a Pringles can. I want to make it look like a wizards tower, and was wondering if painting it with glue and rolling it in sand before base coating and painting would work?

Any ideas or thoughts out there? Any input would be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Webber
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you covered it in cardboard stones (as in little cut up pieces of cardboard to represent each stone) and then sealed it with a coat of thinned glue. I would then use sploshes of thinned glue (allow to get tacky and drizzle fine sand on to the model). Shake model well to get rid of loose sand, then paint to base colour and wash with a colour to get into the lines between your blocks. Then dry brush a lighter colour to pick up your texture on your blocks!

If you want clarification about this please PM me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Darren said, glue the sand to the tower with white glue and allow to dry. Then, mix white glue and water half-and-half, and gently paint that onto the now secure sand.

Once that's dry, paint away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could try mixing the sand into the paint. No glue required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are textured spray paints available. I think I'd try that first.

http://www.krylon.com/products/make-it-stone-textured-paint/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
We use Zinsser brand Roll-A-Tex "Sand" texture additive for paint.

Here is a "quickie' application from a Little Wars scenario:

This stuff can be purchased at the hardware store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Binny
Australia
Wanniassa
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voltan wrote:
I'm planning on making a dice tower for a friends daughter out of a Pringles can. I want to make it look like a wizards tower, and was wondering if painting it with glue and rolling it in sand before base coating and painting would work?

Any ideas or thoughts out there? Any input would be awesome!

It will work, I've used this on all sorts of things. Makes quick work of it.

A little bit of water can make the white glue a bit easier to paint on, you might have to work in sections rather than the whole can, but there is really no issue in overlapping.

When it's covered with sand let it dry, then mix another batch of watered down glue and seal it with that. You can just sort of let it flood on from the brush. Let that dry and then paint and dry brush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done things like this... thinning the glue and then covering the whole thing with glue.. and then rolling it in the sand makes for a good, even covering.

The little rocks idea works well too. I've used aquarium rocks and glued about a quarter of the tube at a time... otherwise the rocks slide off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
If you just want the look with durability, check out the spray paint. The textured paint that is sand-ish color. I've used it before and it dries rough to the touch. You can also sand it smooth and it will look the same, but not have that rough scrape on the arm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to seal in the sand with another coat of glue if you are going to paint it, the paint will seal it. At least acrylic does. I've made scenery for Warhammer this way and never had a problem with it. Much bigger problems with the initial coating of glue not adhering well, and it peels off with the sand in large chunks, so rough up the cardboard surface before your start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olejnicak
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of awesome suggestions! Seeing that I'm using a Pringles can, and have a couple of them, I can experiment some!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voltan wrote:
Lots of awesome suggestions! Seeing that I'm using a Pringles can, and have a couple of them, I can experiment some!

What are you going to use inside the can to bounce the dice around on their way down?

BTW Pringles Can Wizard Tower Dice Tower?! Awesome gift for gamers of all ages. make sure to take pictures and post about the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Giles
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to add:

I tried something similar for a 7th-grade project: building a cardboard doohickey, painting it in glue, then pouring regular, brown playground sand over it. It looked terrible; in fact, almost like I had just painted it with glue and poured sand over it.

I think there are a lot of good ideas here, but I just wanted to make it clear: glue + sand - (anything else) = :yuk:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olejnicak
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brokenimage321 wrote:
Just wanted to add:

I tried something similar for a 7th-grade project: building a cardboard doohickey, painting it in glue, then pouring regular, brown playground sand over it. It looked terrible; in fact, almost like I had just painted it with glue and poured sand over it.

I think there are a lot of good ideas here, but I just wanted to make it clear: glue + sand - (anything else) = yuk

HA! I'm not planning on leaving the sand unpainted. I just wanted a better texture than "painted over Pringles can. I'm going to try the "watered down glue and sand and paint over it" technique this weekend on and old paper towel roll to see if I like where it goes. I'll keep everybody updated!

And BDY, I was thinking of making some angled cuts in the can, inserting some cardstock like material, and trimming it down before the final glue-paint. That way the sand and such will cover the "scars".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voltan wrote:

And BDY, I was thinking of making some angled cuts in the can, inserting some cardstock like material, and trimming it down before the final glue-paint. That way the sand and such will cover the "scars".

Sounds like a winner. Wasn't sure if you might attempt something like this dude's Jenga Dice Tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.