Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Kitchens
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
Hello,

I'm getting ready to play Dominant Species and I am unsure what the rulebook means by the Competition action. When I choose Competition I only remove ONE species cube of a single opposing player on the three different hexes correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
corykitchens wrote:
Hello,

I'm getting ready to play Dominant Species and I am unsure what the rulebook means by the Competition action. When I choose Competition I only remove ONE species cube of a single opposing player on the three different hexes correct?

Yes, that is correct. One cube on each of the three hexes, provided there are any enemies there to kill.

edit: Yes, Scott is right. You can only kill opposing cubes on hexes where there's at least one of your cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For each of the three terrain types under the competition action, you can eliminate one opposing species (cube) if you have a species (cube) present in the hex. You do not have to pick them from the same opponent.

In the rules examples, the reptiles eliminate a mammal from one space, an insect from the other and forfeit the 3rd competition action as they are not present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
vidra wrote:
corykitchens wrote:
Hello,

Yes, that is correct. One cube on each of the three hexes, provided there are any enemies there to kill.

I think it's an often overlooked and frequently decisive action - at least in my experience. It's a good counter to any Catastrophe, Biomass or Predator that might be played after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game (2 player, neither having played the game before) and the competition action wasn't used once. I never felt the need to use it. We were both quite cagey and tended to stick to our own areas. However the tiles where we were contesting, taking 1 species away didn't seem worth the action. I'm sure im overlooking something here! IS competition something that is used more frequently with more players? Im also assuming its used mostly to contest tundra areas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to see it get used more in the latter half of the game but it depends on the players.

Using it for the Tundra fight is common, yes, but so it using it for just killing your opponents. In a multiplayer game killing one or two cubes can be the difference between 3rd and 2nd place scoring, or 2nd and 1st, and those points add up over the course of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
I tend to see it get used more in the latter half of the game but it depends on the players.

Using it for the Tundra fight is common, yes, but so it using it for just killing your opponents. In a multiplayer game killing one or two cubes can be the difference between 3rd and 2nd place scoring, or 2nd and 1st, and those points add up over the course of the game.

Thanks, im sure it will get used more the more we play and discover more strategies! The first game was a bit overwhelming with the number of choices available!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Fistanic
msg tools
greetings, one question,please
I have placed AP on tundra,savanah,forest
and second AP on tundra,sea,jungle
can I eliminate two species (second species with second AP), on same tundra tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garakelim wrote:
greetings, one question,please
I have placed AP on tundra,savanah,forest
and second AP on tundra,sea,jungle
can I eliminate two species (second species with second AP), on same tundra tile?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.