Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both a medieval themed and have a degree of worker placement. Lancaster seems really nice though. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both worth playing. There is, however, one major difference. Lancaster is best with 4-5 players. Troyes plays with 3-4. I'd choose based on expected number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt you need any game.

So I guess I'd say "no" for all games, though I'd say a few is worth getting.

Now should you get Lancaster? That I can't answer. It likely depends a lot on your economical situation and how much money you've got to spend on boardgames in general. Among other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I had both. I love Troyes. Lancaster felt a bit of a let-down afterwards, but that's just a personal opinion. I sold/traded Lancaster away, despite it being a pretty good game overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
Troyes plays with 2 - 4; some prefer it with 2. I've played many times and it plays quite well.

Yes, but I assume anyone choosing between these two games has three or more players, since Lancaster does not support two. If he only has two players, the choice is obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever someone asks this question, regardless of the games, the answer is yes. Always yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose that is the opposite to Betteridge's law of headlines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge's_law_of_headlines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quinn ortmeyer
Canada
Breslau
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They offer incredibly different gameplay experiences, and are both worth owning, if your budget allows. While you are correct about theme and worker placement similarities, those are very broad categories so not sure the value in using them as your criteria, unless you only want one medieval , worker placement game in your collection.
Troyes is more of a brain burner, with lots of intertwined gameplay elements. I've only played a few times, which were enjoyable, but teaching the game is a bit of challenge. Lancaster is a less complex game, plays quicker , but still offers some interesting in game choices, is easier to teach, as it is somewhat less abstract. It hits the table a lot more than Troyes. Between the 2 I enjoy Lancaster somewhat more, as I find the overall fun factor greater, I think is the right way to put it. Troyes was little more work, and a little less fun, but with more plays it's quite possible that could change , as there seems to more to Troyes than initially meets the eye, because of the complexity.
Just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the medieval theme, they are not comparable at all. Hence, both are worth owning.
Also, neither of these is worker placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
louper wrote:
Troyes plays with 2 - 4; some prefer it with 2. I've played many times and it plays quite well.

Yes, but I assume anyone choosing between these two games has three or more players, since Lancaster does not support two. If he only has two players, the choice is obvious.

Actually Lancaster does support 2 players, it's just a different game because of the absence of multiple "parties" in the parliament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.