Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title states, I'm looking for some feedback on Prison Outbreak on its own or with Toxic City Mall.

The reason I ask is because I do not own Zombicide, and I have a thread or two discussing the spawn deck, and how it's imbalanced without including cards from the original.

I would have pledged for all three, but I wanted to save a bit of cash instead of going all in for a game I have never played. I also thought I would also be able to buy it for much cheaper from my OLGS instead of the $100 US it would have cost me through the KS. However, no one ever seems to have it in stock.

So, will Prison Outbreak be impossibly hard/incredibly easy without the inclusion of the original game and its spawn cards/zombies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play PO by itself and see how it goes, then if it is too hard, selectively take out a few of the really bad spawn cards to adjust the difficulty. If too easy, take out some of the easier cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
Play PO by itself and see how it goes, then if it is too hard, selectively take out a few of the really bad spawn cards to adjust the difficulty. If too easy, take out some of the easier cards.

I'm all for adjusting the deck myself.
But, that still doesn't address my question; on it's own, without any additions or adjustments, does it work well, and is it balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
longagoigo wrote:

But, that still doesn't address my question; on it's own, without any additions or adjustments, does it work well, and is it balanced.

Unfortunately so few people have actually got the game, so far, that I think one won't get a clear answer to that question just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played PO by itself, and it seemed OK.

I would be scared to add Zombie Dogs for the first play - those things are faster and harder to hit than just about anything else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
longagoigo wrote:

One man's ceiling is another man's floor. Opinions are going to differ. First timers are likely to say things are too hard, the game is broken, the decks, equipment and survivors are unbalanced and/or just about anything else. Experienced players are going to say they either like to play it pure or make certain adjustments for their style of play (especially with different groups of people). Again, try it in its pure form and tell us how you see it, because we don't have the game yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add some commentary once my pledge arrives.
Like most of you, I am also still waiting for the apocalypse to arrive. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Prison Outbreak is designed to be on it's own. Toxic City Mall, while able to be played with PO is more of an expansion for season 1. At least I though that's how it works. So if that's true PO should work fine on its own. Like others I'm still waiting on my game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Butcher
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
So, will Prison Outbreak be impossibly hard/incredibly easy without the inclusion of the original game and its spawn cards/zombies?

Played my first few games of Prison Outbreak and it seems like a very different beast from the original but is still a fine stand-alone game.
I do own Season 1 but we're playing through the new missions with just the Prison Outbreak stuff and the consensus in our group is that while we're all very glad we've been playing the original for as long as we have as we've all got the core rules fully understood we haven't felt the need to tweak anything. Prison Outbreak is a great progression of the original game as it's harder and requires more teamwork and tighter tactics to stand a good chance of victory. However this isn't due to fewer components for the most part (though you do get fewer standard zombies in season 2 and I'm sure I've read somewhere on BGG that the standard zombie spawn cards are identical to their Season 1 counterparts) but down to the greater variety of items and zombies that you can encounter and more involved missions. So you'll probably find it harder as it is simply a more difficult game, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It certainly isn't in any way broken.
As a side note if you wanted to get a feel of the Season 1 experience without purchasing the whole game maybe grab a “Walk of the Dead” box to beef up the standard zombie pool a bit (and get the “Romero Deck” cards), remove berserker spawn cards and also take few of the more powerful weapons you get in Season 2 out of the search deck. That would give you an idea I reckon.

Edit:
Came across the spawn card thread I mentioned and I was wrong, S2 has fewer spawn cards (probably to match the smaller pool of zombies). Check out that thread for analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani CS
msg tools
GrauGeist wrote:

I would be scared to add Zombie Dogs for the first play - those things are faster and harder to hit than just about anything else...

In the rules there's no word about the dogs targeting order, any idea? I'm guessing they will be before runners ¿?

Sorry for the offtopic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderPestilence wrote:
Prison Outbreak is designed to be on it's own. Toxic City Mall, while able to be played with PO is more of an expansion for season 1. At least I though that's how it works. So if that's true PO should work fine on its own. Like others I'm still waiting on my game

TCM is designed to be played with both S1 and S2. It has a 50% split of missions using tiles from each of them. Whether it was originally designed with just S1 in mind is a different matter to which I would suggest that you are correct.

Bourbaki wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:

In the rules there's no word about the dogs targeting order, any idea? I'm guessing they will be before runners ¿?

Sorry for the offtopic.

I'm pretty sure that Zombie Dogz come dead last in target priority as they are the fastest and therefore able to get out of the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani CS
msg tools
jonahmaul wrote:

Bourbaki wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:

Sorry for the offtopic.

I'm pretty sure that Zombie Dogz come dead last in target priority as they are the fastest and therefore able to get out of the way.

Well yeah, that was my first thought, but wouldn't be a bit weird the most fearful monster is a dog? lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bourbaki wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

Bourbaki wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:

Sorry for the offtopic.

Well yeah, that was my first thought, but wouldn't be a bit weird the most fearful monster is a dog? lol

It's not just any dog, it's a zombie dog! Ever played Resident Evil? The Cerberus were one of the hardest things in the game because they were so hard to shoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:

It's not just any dog, it's a zombie dog! Ever played Resident Evil? The Cerberus were one of the hardest things in the game because they were so hard to shoot.

Seeing that hallway is enough to give me the chills
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:

I don't know why this fact bothers me, but it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll be fine without Season 1. There's no reason to add the spawn cards from season 1.

You really throw off the intended balance of the game if you do mix them... so I'm not sure why it would be better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bourbaki wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:

Rules-wise, Zdogs have 3 actions and are the last things to be shot.

Zdogs are to Runners, what Runners are to Walkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani CS
msg tools
longagoigo wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

Thanks for posting it! I didn't see that and when I said rules I meant the rulesbook of the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:

Zdogs are to Runners, what Runners are to Walkers.
I just had a flashback to my high school days taking the SAT exam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bourbaki wrote:
longagoigo wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

Thanks for posting it! I didn't see that and when I said rules I meant the rulesbook of the base game.

Being a mini-expansion, they carry their rules with them and don't show up elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

Seeing that hallway is enough to give me the chills

Aaah. The memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my copy but I don't own S1 (or TCM) to compare it to. From my 6 plays across the tutorial and 1st mission (playing with myself and 2 different groups) I'd say that it seems to do well by itself. From reading other threads with thoughts of combining the S1+S2 zombie decks...I don't see the need for that. Last night we went through the first mission with just PO, no KS extras other than the extra survivors/zombivors. We ran into a few situations with extra activations due to running out of walkers (once), runners (once, very end in when we were in the red) and fatties (twice).

I'd probably type up some more but again, I have nothing to compare it to. It seems to be pretty balanced/fair out of the box and there's always the option of playing with less survivors or disregarding resurrection play to increase difficulty.

edit: I guess I will add that I will be purchasing TCM upon retail release. I don't feel like I "need" to but I want to because I am loving this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redeux wrote:
I have my copy but I don't own S1 (or TCM) to compare it to. From my 6 plays across the tutorial and 1st mission (playing with myself and 2 different groups) I'd say that it seems to do well by itself. From reading other threads with thoughts of combining the S1+S2 zombie decks...I don't see the need for that. Last night we went through the first mission with just PO, no KS extras other than the extra survivors/zombivors. We ran into a few situations with extra activations due to running out of walkers (once), runners (once, very end in when we were in the red) and fatties (twice).

I'd probably type up some more but again, I have nothing to compare it to. It seems to be pretty balanced/fair out of the box and there's always the option of playing with less survivors or disregarding resurrection play to increase difficulty.

edit: I guess I will add that I will be purchasing TCM upon retail release. I don't feel like I "need" to but I want to because I am loving this game.

Good to know. Thank you for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redeux wrote:

I'm thankful for your input as well! I picked up an extra PO for a friend as a gift, and I've been waffling the past few weeks about whether or not I should pick up S1 for them instead because of this. Part of that waffling is that they would have way more missions to play using S1 and the online campaigns from the Kyoko Contest.

I know that I would certainly value any other feedback you have, both on feedback and replay value, especially since you're coming from a background with no exposure or access to S1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.