Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got all the big expansions except midnight (I play solo) and I am ready to give one a play through. Could someone give me a breakdown of what they are all about and maybe tell me which is your favorite and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky you :< Gimme Frozen Wastes.

Sands of Al-Kalim: you aim to become a legend, immortal, but to do so you have to complete 4 legendary quests all over the deserts. Only once in 1000 years someone manages to do so.
* Pros:
** doing quests means you can aim for completion since turn one, instead of mindless leveling up until you can face the boss
** if you like Alladin, one thousand and one nights etc. then you will love the setting
* Cons:
** no "final boss" or epic ending. You only need to defeat one red and finish 4 pretty simple quests.
** weather mechanic is mostly irritating and useless
** Token items aren't too useful most of the time

Frozen wastes: It's Skyrim, the winter has come, and some prince is pretty irritated that his sister, that is to him like Cersei to her brother disapeared. Now he wants blood. It's up to you wherever you kill him or find his sister.
* Pros:
** Cool (see what I did here?) scenery
** Viking vibe
** Finding legendary equipment using clues is fun
** Frost mechanic is cool, and makes you go to towns often so...
** There's quite a lot of stuff at shops
* Cons:
** In single player there's no much sense in "find princess" ending. Let her be in another castle.

Mists of Zanaga: You are in the jungle, and ancient god is about to awaken. You want to put him back to sleep before he devours world.
* Pros:
** 10 different gods, each changing gameplay quite a bit, so each playtrough is different
** Really short for runebound
** Best shop mechanics in any expansion
** Better rest mechanic
** Really useful token items
** Nice looking map
* Cons:
** Some gods aren't too much fun
** Often too easy. My friend once defeated awakened god at her 3rd level.

Island of Dread: Arr! Do what you want cause pirate if free! You are a pirate! And there's evil god slumbering under waters that wants you, your mom, your grandpa, and well, whole world. He wants them dead. You don't want that so you sail around and then have fried octopus made from ancient god.
* Pros:
** There's a lot of items at the shops
** You are a pirate!
** You get a lot of gold(to hire captains, but mostly to buy items)
** Map change system is cool, too bad there are only 3 possibilities
* Cons:
** Almost nothing refreshes on that map, which means a lot of wasted turns
** Challenges while sailing are completely random - raging from green strength to red strength.
** You have to constantly go back to towns, swim around, hire captains. Irritating.
** It's really hard to move around, as a lot of the map is mountains, forests, etc. and you have nothing to help you navigate
** It's too similar to base game, just with sailing

Every of big box expansions is good, it mostly depends on what you are craving for at the moment. I hope my little summary will help you decide which expansion might scratch your current itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor gives a good overview of the first 3.
http://fortressat.com/reviews-toc/768-shopping-guide-to-rune...

The entries in bgg for each big box has some good detail and reviews. E.g., this was a very good review for Mists.

Also, from the main forum:

What other Big Box Expansion should I get (besides Mists)?

Big box expansion recommendation needed for solo or 2 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rafal. You nailed it. So do you use the market items from the base game (itemss and allies expansions) with the big expansions (except for legendary items)? I use a market variant where the items are split up by type (weapons, armor, alleys, runes/artifacts/relics)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Thanks Rafal. You nailed it. So do you use the market items from the base game (itemss and allies expansions) with the big expansions (except for legendary items)? I use a market variant where the items are split up by type (weapons, armor, alleys, runes/artifacts/relics)?

Most of us mix all the item cards together and make one massive deck that is used in all games. The rule of thumb is if the backs match, mix it in.

The one exception is Legendary Items in Frozen Wastes. It is best to keep them separate and only use them in Frozen Wastes. They are more for that game and they are a pain to find when you play Frozen Wastes. In the mechanics of that game they remain separate.

It seems that most solo players really like Sands -- it probably has the strongest theme but I think it is the weakest of the big box to play in group.

If you want a challenge in solo play that any knockout is a death blow and the game is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Actually I think Sands is slightly weak solo but great in a group.

I use to use market variants but the older and grumpier I get the more I lean towards just having one big superdeck.

Agree with keeping Frozen Waste legendary items seperate. I also recommend not mixing in the items from the Midnight expansion - only use those when playing midnight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Actually I think Sands is slightly weak solo but great in a group.

I use to use market variants but the older and grumpier I get the more I lean towards just having one big superdeck.

Agree with keeping Frozen Waste legendary items seperate. I also recommend not mixing in the items from the Midnight expansion - only use those when playing midnight.

Thanks Franks, I actually just sold my Midnight since it doesn't seem practical for solo or mix well. I think I am going to give them a try in order since they seem to each add more new rules and what not. Thanks for all the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played Island of Dread tonight and it was pretty neat. My problem is after 2.5 hours I was only at level 6 even with the Frozen Wasted leveling rule and I still got my ass handed to me by the main boss. What level are you guys (and gals) usually at before attempting to fight the red level challenges (or main bosses in the expansions)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does depend on your loadout and meatshields of course. Since adding FW last month, I've seen a lowering of sorts, even a lvl 5 character winning, but lvl 6 is probably our norm for starting on Reds unless have kick-ass gear (so if you need to defeat 3 Red, you're probably ending lvl 8-9). But of course, if the other guy (2-player) is lagging behind, you have time to gear up more.

Both SoAK and FW you can win without defeating a single Red. For SoAK, gotta draw the Djinni and fail the Before Combat test, which means you're defeated but get to pick an exp gem of your choice, while in SoAK, Princess Clues can be found aplenty, even in 2-player, from Green, Yellow and Blues to locate her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you have to defeat one red.

First the card:

And now the rules:

Quote:
Defeating Challenges gives you experience points, which you
may spend on experience counters. Each experience counter
gives your Hero the indicated permanent bonus

Experience counters are +2 Mind etc., not gems. Don't worry, I once won the game by losing to the Djinni too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap. Sadly, I've never managed to fail the tests, always kept passing them even when I wanted to fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.