Among the Stars» Forums » General

Subject: What would you recommend getting on Kickstarter right now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at Shadows over the Empire on Kickstarter and saw that this was available with purchase. There are many extras offered that you can get with the game. For those that have played the game which extras would you recommend someone getting who hasn't played it before? I'm also curious about Ambassadors and if that's a worthy expansion and which extras might be worth getting for that too.

I sent an email to Mage company asking for clarification but I haven't heard back. This brings up the question, how good is their customer support?

Thanks in advance for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything?

It's hard to say because most of us have not played Ambassadors (released end of Oct / early November).

You could always just try the base set first to see if you like the game.

Mage Company isn't Artipia btw. They are using it for KS purposes only. I find Artipia communication a bit slow but they are definitely quick to act if you have any missing parts / issues with your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Among the Stars is a great game and if you're interested in the theme, would definitely recommend you go in for it.

7 Wonders is a good reference point for whether or not you will like it, and I personally bought AtS as an 'instead of' game, as I find the space theme more interesting and like that where a card goes matters. The only disadvantage it has had is that the later rounds are the same cards as the earlier ones, but that's set to change with the ambassadors anyway.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision, and that you enjoy what you get either way =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize Ambassadors was not out yet. I guess any opinions on it are purely speculative then.

Everything would be nice! My gaming purchases are getting out of hand as of late so I need to impose some self control. Also if I leave a few things out it'll give my family something to get for me for the coming holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEA wrote:
I didn't realize Ambassadors was not out yet. I guess any opinions on it are purely speculative then.

Everything would be nice! My gaming purchases are getting out of hand as of late so I need to impose some self control. Also if I leave a few things out it'll give my family something to get for me for the coming holidays.
Just a note on getting you stuff for the holidays - Artipia mentioned that the Ambassadors expansion would most likely be a very limited release and I know the kickstarter was also for a reprint of the base as it is not widely available at the moment. These items getting wide distribution in the U.S. is not 100% confirmed - so you may want to get them while the getting is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you should definitely get the bonus cards.

The ships are nice but honestly I've never used them. Player markers tend to stack a little bit better when on the same spot of the scoring track So you could easily leave those out.

Now about the Ambassadors... hard to tell for anyone who hasn't playtested it. But if you add it you should add the bonus material and the game board. It's significantly better than the original one.

I'd honestly not buy the sleeves. I did sleeve my cards but with the square sleeves from FFG. I admit that the sleeves offered by Artipia are much cheaper but the FFG sleeves are just way better.

But I agree with Clayton: You should probably get the stuff you want to have now. Because even if availability is better once the reprint has been shipped it may become an issue again soon and I'd bet that the expansion will be even harder to get than the base game. So these are definitely no good candidates for the holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are killing me!!!

Lets see, I already have Firefly: The Game and King of Tokyo: Halloween on preorder. I'm also thinking of backing Fantasy Frontier with bonus dice and bag for $55. Plus I'm looking at Vikings: Warriors of the North when that comes out.

With the purchase of "everything" that I think I'd want it adds up pretty quick!surprise

I'm looking at:

Shadows over the Empire for $32

Among the Stars for $50
Bonus material for $8

Among the Stars: The Ambassadors for $26
Bonus material for $12
V2 game board for $4
6 resin ships for $12
Grand total: $144

This compulsive game buying is starting to get cost prohibitive. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you left out the ships like I told you it would "only" be 132$

Seriously... while 12$ doesn't seem much I think it's too much for a component which you are most likely not gonna use anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaermo wrote:
If you left out the ships like I told you it would "only" be 132$

Seriously... while 12$ doesn't seem much I think it's too much for a component which you are most likely not gonna use anyway.

You're right, by cutting out the ships that would save 12% of the total cost. I understand your point that they're not needed, but little space ships are cool. cool

I've still got some time to think about this so I'm going to mull it over and see how I feel as the deadline gets closer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i was one of the main playtesters of the base game and co-designer of the expansion.

It all depends on what kind of player you are.

I have seen players that play 3 games of Among the Stars in 2,5 hours. Then food break and then let's play something else. These gamers want more and more cards, more and more variety.

I have seen players that play only one game in about 1 hour, talk a lot about it afterwards, enjoy a drink while playing etc. And when you bring out the cool ships and the energy cubes, then they really appreciate it it since what they want is the full experience.

So, what kind of gamer are you? Do you go for the full experience or do you go for the mechanics and the competitiveness?

I go for the 2nd part but i really understand the people that want the full experience. When i am not playtesting something, i try to bring out props, extras and cool stuff to the others.

BTW, the expansion is very good, trust me .

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZiNOS wrote:

So, what kind of gamer are you? Do you go for the full experience or do you go for the mechanics and the competitiveness?

BTW, the expansion is very good, trust me .

Cheers.

I think an important question here is also what kind of game does one like. I like a game rich in theme with mechanics that work well with it. As far as what kind of player, I tend to prefer the experience but if I see a chance for a win I can get fairly competitive, but I'm not the kind of player who obsesses over the game to find the perfect solution, I enjoy the play of a game with friends.

Trust you, I don't even know you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEA wrote:
[q="ZiNOS"]Trust you, I don't even know you.

You will have my name on a box in your house soon i believe. Trust me

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
MarkEA wrote:
Among the Stars for $50
Bonus material for $8

Bonus material for $12
V2 game board for $4
6 resin ships for $12

I don't know about Shadows over the Empire. However, while I like AtS, I think that paying $112 for it (or $100 without the ships - they're certainly not worth $12), without having even played it, is way too much. ATS is a good game, but IMHO not a great one.

The bonus material is nice if you're a completist, but the tiles in the base game give you quite a bit of variation and replayability. The bonus tiles are nice, but not needed. If you want to increase replayability, getting the expansion is a better bet than getting the bonus materials.

Those bonus materials were originally added to the game to lure buyers to the Kickstarter project. As the name says, they're a bonus. A nice extra, but certainly not needed to enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
MarkEA wrote:
Among the Stars for $50
Bonus material for $8

Bonus material for $12
V2 game board for $4
6 resin ships for $12

I don't know about Shadows over the Empire. However, while I like AtS, I think that paying $112 for it (or $100 without the ships - they're certainly not worth $12), without having even played it, is way too much. ATS is a good game, but IMHO not a great one.

The bonus material is nice if you're a completist, but the tiles in the base game give you quite a bit of variation and replayability. The bonus tiles are nice, but not needed. If you want to increase replayability, getting the expansion is a better bet than getting the bonus materials.

Those bonus materials were originally added to the game to lure buyers to the Kickstarter project. As the name says, they're a bonus. A nice extra, but certainly not needed to enjoy the game.

So if we take out the plastic ships and bonus materials that leaves AtS at $50, AtS:A at $26, and the version 2 game board at $4 for a total of $80. Would this be a better way to go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think that the bonus cards of the first campaign were actually pretty good. You get 2 bonus races, Debos and Nyxtos and the first set of the dual coloured locations, which actually get more strong once you use the bureaus, together with some other special locations and a new conflict set, the Infestation set.

2 new races is pretty big if you ask me, especially the Nyxtos that are the race with the most player interaction/direct confrontation in the game.

Still, it is up to you and your budget. I have never played the game without all the extras since we playtest with a full set so i really like a full set but as i said, it is up to you and your budget.

Of course, you can acquire those extras later on as well. They will be available at the Artipia Games online shop.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.