Popular Tags: [View All]
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenix Trophy: gain 3 XP, place phoenix on top of the dungeon deck

question do I have to use this at all or can I just continue to use it as money?

Rule States: Trophy effects must be used every time they are present in you hand, whether you are in village, in dungeon,preparing, or resting.

later Rules states: Some Trophy effects give you the option to fulfill a requirement to receive the Trophy effect. If you choose not to fulfill the requirement, it cancels the results of the effect.

Does Phoeix fall in the later rule area?

The rules give an example of Necrophidius's Trophy effect that begins with "you may" is this what the second rule alludes too? that the Trophy needs to state "you may" in order not to activate the Trophy effect?

I mainly ask because it would appear Phoenix would show up a lot if drawn at the beginning of the game like it did for us, if we had to put it back on top everytime it showed up in our hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The Phoenix trophy effect HAS to be used. So yes it will be seen more than a few times....however, if you have cards which make you discard other cards, then you can discard the phoenix BEFORE the trophy effect occurs, as it is up to you what order dungeon/village and trophy abilities trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Options always come with the word "may".

The Phoenix annoyingly flies out of your hand and back into the dungeon. It's hard to keep those stuffed phoenix heads over your fireplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for answering. so, then can I hold on to a card with Trophy effects with text that has the "you may" bit on the card? like the rule book example had shown?

Edward answered before I finished this question sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it says "you may" then the trophy ability is indeed optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.