Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at this from the FAQ:

Quote:
If a card tells me to use my character Ezren's Arcane die, which is d12+2, and then I play a Blessing of the Gods, do I roll 2d12+2, or 2d12+4?
You roll 2d12+2.

Resolution: On page 11 of the rulebook, under Assemble Your Dice, add the following before the last sentence: "Never apply any numerical bonus more than once per check.

Does this apply to ALL cases of adding numerical bonuses?

Let's take Lini for an example:

1. Does this mean that if I increase her Wisdom, it won't affect Divine checks until my Wisdom is adding +2?

2. Does this mean the numerical bonuses that can be added to her reveal an animal power will only apply on checks that do not have an equivalent or higher numerical bonus?

3. How does it work with her Wild Warden ability that adds to Divine Spell checks? Does that replace the innate Divine +1 bonus?

If in all of this situations the bonuses don't stack, it seems to mean that the feats are not that great. (For instance, increasing Wisdom to +4 completely negates her Divine Spell check Wild Warden power fully maxed.)

Granted, I haven't played yet so it's all theoretical - but it's relevant for character selection if you think long term!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All it means is when you add a die to a check, you only roll another die, not add the bonus as well.

Ezren has Arcane = Intelligence + 2.
A blessing will add d12 for him.
If he increases his Intelligence, his Arcane will essentially be d12+3. But a blessing will still only add d12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The benefit of increasing the skills doesn't negate the bonuses, it adds to it.

If her Wisdom is feated up to +4, then her Divine +1 still kicks in for Divine checks.

So a regular Wisdom check would be dice+4, and a Divine check would be dice+4+1.

But when you 'add a die' with a blessing, it adds only the die, not the die and the bonus. So if she's rolling a Divine check, it'd normally be 1d10+1. If using a blessing, which adds a die, the clarification added from the FAQ shows that you just add another d10, not the entire 1d10+1. So it'd be 2d10+1, NOT 2d10+2. The 2d10+2 would be adding the modifier twice.

When you add a specific die due to abilities or other cards, it still adds those dice. Everything is cumulative. One doesn't overwrite the other unless you use an ability or card that changes the target skill, and then everything is cumulative for that skill following the same rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh so numerical bonuses stack, they just aren't multiplied by the amount of dice you are rolling. That was confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a little confusing, you really have to pay attention to the minutia on the card. Take Seelah for example:

Her Strength is d8. Obviously that means you roll 1 8-sided die.

Her Melee is Strength +2. Obviously that means you roll 1-sided die (Strength) and add 2 to the result.

A blessing says "Add a die to a check." Since you're rolling an 8-sided die, you roll another one. If a card asked to you roll Melee twice, then yes, you would calculate d8+2 twice, essentially rolling 2d8+4.

Subtle text differences are on quite a few cards. There is a difference between "For your check..." and "Add a die to a check." It takes some time to get used to, but it all starts to make sense soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The modifiers are just that modifiers. They are not dice. So any card that says add a die/dice would only add that number of dice. As for what you can add, you add all of it. So say Lini has bumped her Wisdom [x] +1 and her ability to reveal an Animal Ally add 1d4 [x]+1 and is making a Diving check. Her total roll would be: 1d10 +1 + 1 + 1d4 +1 = 1d10 + 1d4 + 3. If a Blessing of the Gods was played on that, it would be: 1d10 + 1d10 + 1 + 1 + 1d4 + 1 = 2d10 + 1d4 + 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.