Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: SHOCK LONGBOW +1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephane Malo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am running into a situation where my brain cannot come to terms with the text on a card. cry

I am using MERISIEL, she has DEXTERITY=1d12 also ACROBATICS=1d12+2, DISABLE=1d12+2 AND STEALTH=1d12+2

The check to acquire says DEXTERITY RANGED.
Do i get to use my DEXTERITY=1d12 characteristic? or just 1d4?

When i want to use it in combat i do 1d12+1d8+1
That being said what is the ELECTRICITY TRAIT? Is it the +1d8+1 or simply the +1 part?

I searched the forums for any entry talking about SHOCK LONGBOW +1 but could not find my exact question.
Also just got the game today and i am playing a solo run to learn how to play.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob W
United States
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The bow says to use Dexterity OR Ranged.

The second part you have right; 1d12+1d8+1 - use it all.

But remember, Merisiel is not efficient with that weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card adds a trait, it normally adds it to the entire check, but it'd all depend on what the card says, if it specifies differently. If it says it only counts for the added amount, then that'd be the only amount it counted for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Malo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The check to acquire is DEXTERITY RANGED, not DEXTERITY or RANGED.
Q1.If my character does not have the DEXTERITY RANGED trait do i simply use my DEXTERITY trait or a 1d4?

Q2. What is the ELECTRICITY TRAIT? This is in case i want to discard this card to add your unmodified strenght die with the electricity trait. Just because my character isn't proficient with weapons (difficulty check increased by 4)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
A1. You pick one of the listed skills when you attempt to acquire a boon.

Page 10 wrote:
Each boon card has a section called “Check to Acquire.” This
section indicates the skills that can be used in checks to acquire the
boon, and the difficulty of the checks.

And

Page 20 wrote:
...spell Acid Arrow, which has a check to acquire of Intelligence or Arcane 4.

A2. It is just a trait. It only matters if the monster you use it against mentions electricity (none currently do).

Page 15 wrote:
Traits: Many effects use a card’s traits for some effect; for example, some monsters become harder to defeat when you play weapons
with the Piercing trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Malo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am afraid my Q1 has not been answered. Le me rephrase

Q1. The SHOCK LONGBOW +1 card states:
CHECK TO ACQUIRE DEXTERITY RANGED 11

My current character is MERISIEL
Her stats are the following:
DEXTERITY = 1d12
ACROBATICS = DEXTERITY+2
DISABLE = DEXTERITY+2
STEALTH = DEXTERITY +2
As you can see, she does not have the pure DEXTERITY RANGED.
So for my CHECK TO ACQUIRE roll, do i used my simple DEXTERITY trait or do i use 1d4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use her dexterity (1d12) or the default ranged skill (1d4). Obviously you would use her dexterity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Malo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
You can use her dexterity (1d12) or the default ranged skill (1d4). Obviously you would use her dexterity.

thank you.

Now for Q2. The card states:
...you may additionally discard this card to add your unmodified Strength die with the Electricity trait.
My unmodified Strenght die is d8.
So am i correct to say that if i want to use this card and discard it i could use 1d12(DEXTERITY)+1d8+1(ELECTRICITY TRAIT)+1d8(STRENGTH)+1d6(character power that states, if only character at your location, you may recharge a card to add 1d6 to your combat check)-4 as i am not proficient with weapons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
STEMALO wrote:
Mundane wrote:

thank you.

...you may additionally discard this card to add your unmodified Strength die with the Electricity trait.
So am i correct to say that if i want to use this card and discard it i could use 1d12(DEXTERITY)+1d8+1(ELECTRICITY TRAIT)+1d8(STRENGTH)+1d6(character power that states, if only character at your location, you may recharge a card to add 1d6 to your combat check)-4 as i am not proficient with weapons

You discarded the bow so you would have to choose another card in your hand to recharge for the 1d6 bonus. If you discarded that card you would get an additional 1d6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cennamo
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STEMALO wrote:

yup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't assign the Electricity trait to any portion of the dice or pluses. The Electricity trait is not the "+1", or the "1d8", or anything else; it's just a trait. Normally you can completely ignore it, unless the monster you're using the Bow against says something like, "this monster is immune to the Electricity trait". If you see that text, then you can't use the Shock Longbow +1 against that monster.

If you look at some of the undead monsters, you'll see the type of "immune" text I'm referring to.

It's possible, in future expansions, there will be some monsters that are immune to electricity, or take extra damage from electricity, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using a Ranged weapon makes it a Ranged check. Using a Melee weapon, makes it a Melee check. After that you have to determine what abilities on the weapon card you are going to use or even can use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.