United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
I love CCGs/LCGs/Dice Games
badge
Everyday I'm Shufflin
mbmbmbmbmb
It is with a heavy heart that I inform the community that another excellent and up & coming game designer has passed away to cancer.

Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb

Making 2 successful kickstarters (DIG: the Card Game and Deck of Thieves) and an active member in his and our community, join me in mourning our loss, way too soon.

**Obituary link: https://gateway.frontrunnerpro.com/book-of-memories/1676688/...**

Jim, his good friend now overseeing his bgg account, is beginning a memorial fund in the near future - which will soon be updated on his memorial page, along with (hopefully) a memorial auction in the near future.

Give everyone close to you a hug and play a game in his honor. Thanks everyone.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sad. I purchased a game from Jason about two months ago and he was a real stand up guy about it. Many prayers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This breaks my heart to hear. I've posted information from the funeral home's website about services this weekend, for any who would like to pay respects or offer condolences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really sorry to hear that. My condolences to his family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Way too young. My condolences to his friends and family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sad. Please feel free to add him here:

The BGG users memorial
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Bear
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
I love CCGs/LCGs/Dice Games
badge
Everyday I'm Shufflin
mbmbmbmbmb
Viki3m wrote:
Very sad. Please feel free to add him here:

The BGG users memorial

Added and thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone knows his family, can you contact me via email? (tomvasel@gmail.com)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
If anyone knows his family, can you contact me via email? (tomvasel@gmail.com)

Was just thinking, this is the kind of thing the Jack Vassel Memorial Fund was made for. It humbles me to know that good things can come from such tragedy.

I'll be playing Deck Of Thieves tonight in Jason's honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chen
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is shocking news to me, as I was just reading about Jason's latest KS games auction on Geekbay not too long ago. I'm saddened to hear about his passing, as Jason seems like a genuinely nice guy who was very active on Kickstarter as well as here. May his family and friends find some measure of comfort and strength to get through this difficult time of mourning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughts with the family and loved ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very sorry to hear about Jason. I've dealt with him through his many Kickstarter auctions and he was always a great guy to deal and talk with. I'm at a loss for words...

My condolences to his friends and family...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first time I actually recognize the person being honored in the memorial, and it really hit home. I never corresponded with him directly but I saw him all over the forums and checked out his Kickstarters.

My condolences to his family and friends. Rest easy now, Jason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very passionate game designer who gave a lot to the community. I particularly remember his very long Deck of Thieves thread on the BGD forum.

He will be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sad news.

Jason was a great guy and I am happy that I got the chance to chat with him on a number of occasions. He backed a few of my Kickstarters and I his.

He was truly in it for the love of the games. Deck of Thieves shipped in the U.S. free at $15. He very may well have lost money on that deal. He wanted to share his game with as many people as he could.

I will be playing Deck of Thieves this weekend in honor of him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Teixeira
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm truly saddened to hear this. Jason's designs and commentary were some of the first I started following. I respected him as a truly virtuous member of the community. His good spirit will live on in our thoughts and in our deeds.

He will be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
As Jason's close friend, I am so touched reading your comments about Jason. Everything you said is true. Jason was a wonderful person, creative and intelligent, involved in his community, especially the arts community where he was involved in theatre and the restoration of the Historic DeSoto Theatre in Rome, Georgia, where we live. Jason was admired and loved by everyone who knew him.

Jason's memorial service and burial were today. Knowing the condition he was in, Jason had made all his arrangements, including not only his funeral arrangements but planning his memorial service, purchasing his grave plot, and even designing his own headstone.

Though he'd been fighting cancer for the past 4 years, it wasn't until the last few months that things got really bad for him. However, through it all, he never complained.

Again, thank you for your kind words and concern. He will be truly missed. The home he and I shared is too quiet without him.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am truly sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larson
Hong Kong
Discovery Bay
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
To find your true identity within the will of Tze Yo Tzuh...that is the highest of all freedoms.
mbmbmbmb
I'm saddened to hear this. I've bought many games from Jason, and was outbid on many more!, and he was always forthright, responsible, and patient. A real decent guy. Clearly he was passionate about being. The world is less for losing him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CalebSkye wrote:

Though he'd been fighting cancer for the past 4 years, it wasn't until the last few months that things got really bad for him. However, through it all, he never complained.

Wow, he was a real tough guy, I wish it ended well for him, alas.
My sincere condolence.soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very saddened by his death. I followed closely the thread about Deck of Thieves and it struck me how passionate he was about his design goals. I was looking forward to see what he would come up next. My condolences to his family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason was a really, really great guy. I never met him, but he reached out to a stranger (me) when I was running the Viticulture campaign to help me with advice, feedback, and funding, and we continued to chat about Kickstarter and games over the months that followed. He was incredibly passionate about games, and I look forward to playing Deck of Thieves to honor his legacy for years to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My condolences to the family and friends. I only "knew" him from the kickstarter Deck of Thieves campaign, but he was brillant, a nice guy, and a great designer.
I will remeber him and honor his work anytime i play Deck of thieves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very sorry to hear about this. Even though I didn't know Jason personally, I felt a special connection to him as he was the very first backer of my own Kickstarter project, the first stranger who believed in me and my idea.

RIP, Jason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only just heard about Jason's passing. I was the artist for two of his published games (DIG and Deck of Thieves). Strangely, after working closely with him for three years I never actually met the guy. I wish I had.

I can honestly say I have never worked with a more passionate game designer, or a better person. He was super-easy to work with -- great sense of humour, great sense of fun, aesthetic, constructive, and more apt to laugh than anything else.

He contacted me just as the DoT Kickstarter was starting up to let me know his cancer was getting pretty bad. But he said I shouldn't be spreading that about. He wanted to simply be a designer in love with games and passionate about delivering on his promises.

I'll miss his sparkle of life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.