Steve Poirier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the card flip have no shadow effect but is an enemy does this enemy card stay in the stage area or I just discard it?

I'm at my 1st game solo and try to figure all steps/rules.

Thanks in advance for this basic answer but I find nothing about this in the Rules Book.

/Bx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BxN88 wrote:
If the card flip have no shadow effect but is an enemy does this enemy card stay in the stage area or I just discard it?

Thanks in advance for this basic answer but I find nothing about this in the Rules Book.

/Bx

You may want to re-read the rulebook, as this is likely not the only thing you missed. The answer is very clear, and has its own section titled "shadow cards leaving play" on page 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Poirier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
BxN88 wrote:

/Bx

You may want to re-read the rulebook, as this is likely not the only thing you missed. The answer is very clear, and has its own section titled "Sgadow cards leaving play" on page 20.

Yes I can read this and did read it. Was not explicit of what to do if the card flip have no shadow effect. So I guess it has no effect? (Sorry my main language is french)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Poirier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rule: Shadow cards remain on the enemy to which they were
dealt throughout the combat phase. If that enemy leaves
play, discard its shadow card from play. At the end of
the combat phase, discard all shadow cards that were
dealt this round

Nothing about what do to if the card have no shadow effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to your second question is on page 18 under "resolve shadow effect". If your next question is "what is the shadow effect", this is on page 6-7 with the card anatomy key.

The basic answer is that shadow cards only trigger the shadow effect printed under the shadow icon. Nothing else on the card matters. If there is no shadow effect, then there is no shadow effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
No shadow effect triggers, and it's discarded at the end of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Poirier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
The answer to your second question is on page 18 under "resolve shadow effect". If your next question is "what is the shadow effect", this is on page 6-7 with the card anatomy key.

The basic answer is that shadow cards only trigger the shadow effect printed under the shadow icon. Nothing else on the card matters. If there is no shadow effect, then there is no shadow effect.

Thanks for your time, still page 18, 6-7 or whatever you will say more was not answering my questioning. Suppose people are to dummy to read the rules book and preferring starting a I'm so wise fight and you so noob not bring anything useful to my original question.

Still thanks for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Poirier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
often wrote:
No shadow effect triggers, and it's discarded at the end of the round.

Thanks - was this so hard Dany boy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about it. I agree that your question was valid and even if it is printed in the rulebook, the game is confusing to people trying to learn it for the first time, and even if the rules are printed in the book it's easy to overlook them with so much going on at the table.

Feel free to post anymore questions you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to teach a man to fish instead of catching it for him.

PS: head over to the fantasy flight website (or just search on their YouTube channel) and watch the instructional videos. I watched them before playing or reading the rules and it made everything simple. I read somewhere that it was intended by FFG for this to be how you learn the game instead of the rulebook. The rulebook is just a reference.

Here is the first video in the five part series.
http://youtu.be/iMyPOFf7Vy4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Poirier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I try to teach a man to fish instead of catching it for him.

PS: head over to the fantasy flight website (or just search on their YouTube channel) and watch the instructional videos. I watched them before playing or reading the rules and it made everything simple. I read somewhere that it was intended by FFG for this to be how you learn the game instead of the rulebook. The rulebook is just a reference.

Here is the first video in the five part series.
http://youtu.be/iMyPOFf7Vy4

I did all this before play, read rule book 2 times - many ambiguity come when playing and just think this community is there for help in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is, don't worry about it. Most of us are here to help and understand the game is difficult to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Cockell
United Kingdom
Weston Super Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A side question occurs to me after reading this thread. It has been said that the potential shadow effect card should stay on the table until the monster attack is resolved. Why should a card that has no shadow effect remain on the table and not be discarded once it has been identified not to have a shadow effect? Are there other potential interactions between cards that may need the potential shadow cards to remain present, say in specific scenarios?

I learned the game through the Watch it Played videos, and he just dumped shadow cards without shadow effects. So an actual shadow effect card should remain attached until the attack is over, also? Any reason not to resolve the shadow effect then discard the card, or is it to ensure correct book-keeping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that shadow cards don't get discarded immediately if they have no effect. Page 20 of the rules:

"Shadow cards remain on the enemy to which they were
dealt throughout the combat phase. If that enemy leaves
play, discard its shadow card from play. At the end of
the combat phase, discard all shadow cards that were
dealt this round."

You're right that it normally won't matter if you discard them right away. I think it's mainly for book-keeping because the order of the cards in the discard pile can be important in some cases (e.g., Treachery cards in later scenarios that return the top card in the discard pile of a certain type to the staging area).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick quote from Nate :

Quote:
The main reason that Shadow cards are dealt at the beginning of the combat phase is that they serve as a convenient means of portraying which enemies have yet to act when combat is being resolved. (If an enemy has a face down shadow card, it still needs to resolve its attack.) Of course, this breaks down when the encounter deck empties mid shadow phase, but in most cases it serves its purpose, particularly early in most players' games, when they are still learning the basic mechanics -- it amounts to one less "memory issue" and stumbling point in those early experiences.

Also, if you have difficulty with english : there is a french community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.