BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: How are these for Solo play?: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Anyone have some solo experience with these games they'd care to share? How strong are they primarily as solo games?

Dungeon Twister 2: Prison
Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is my current favorite for solo play. Part of that is because it is new, but it has essentially taken the place of Arkham Horror for me. I find it just as thematic, if not more so, but it plays in a much more reasonable time (1-2 hours) and I feel like I have more control over the game outcome and am making more meaningful decisions. If you are looking for a thematic experience, I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally love Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin as a solo game. I do make sure to use the 4-4-4 setup always though to minimize the incidences of "dungeon" clog" when you have strong monsters in the dungeon while your party is still weak. I would also advise that new players use the wilderness side of board since this is an easier experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Robinson but its very difficult. I recently stumbled on Runebound (Second Edition) and been loving it. It is very customizable and has lots of expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meg Kline
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin and Runebound (Second Edition) are both excellent for solo play. Haven't got my hands on Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about it in terms of how it plays solo.

There are also some great solo-only games out there that aren't expensive to pick up. For a fun solo game that requires little table space and setup, plays in about 25-30 minutes and can be found for about $12 (it's a card game), check out Friday by Friedemann Friese (of Power Grid fame).

Another solo only game justifiably getting a ton of buzz around here is Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp. It's themed similarly to Pandemic, but you're working in the lab trying to eradicate the virus/bacteria instead of looking at the macro view. Very different feel to it, and less dry/more thematic than Pandemic, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Thunderstone and Friday. Definitely Friday over Thunderstone for solo. Also, I would consider Mage Knight, which as far as I'm concerned is the best solo game. If you want something less of a beast in terms of setup, Zulus on the Ramparts is also great (and designed for solo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the three you mentioned, I can only comment on Thunderstone. While it is probably my favorite deck builder to date, the solo mode is probably my least favorite option to play the game as. Not that it's bad, but it is quite difficult if you don't have a few competitive games under your belt.

For good solo games, I'd recommend:

+1 for Friday
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
Dungeon Fighter
Swing States 2012
Castaways
Race for the Galaxy with Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm expansion
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson is amazing! Currently one of my favorites but it will knock you down and beat you and smile while soon it. The game is brutal. I also really enjoy Thunderstone Advance quite a bit, I actually own the starter set, tower of ruin and caverns of bane sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Pseudonym
msg tools
Looks like I'm the only reader of this thread who has played Dungeon Twister: Prison solo. And it's ... fiddly? And you as the player are ... very passive?

You will most probably spend more time moving enemies around than moving your own units. You will search for the right dungeon cards and then rotate them the right way and then roll dice to determine starting spot for enemies and stuff.

You will have to execute manually the program for each enemy in play, meaning going down a list of prioritized actions, looking if you can complete this action (which involves shortest path search), and ... Well, let's just say it makes you wish someone would invent a machine that does all these computations automatically so that you don't have to do it yourself.

It's also quite unpredictable about the toughness you will encounter: If you can contain all enemies to a few rooms, it will be quite easy, but if the enemies decide to explore the dungeon as quickly as possible, you're in deep trouble.

But if you don't mind all that, it's quite a fascinating game. Although it's more a "wow, I can't believe how well this AI works despite the limitations of being a boardgame" fascination than an actual "fun" fascination, at least for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't tried Dungeon Twister, but I'd recommend Robinson Crusoe over Thunderstone for solo play. Also, if you do want Thunderstone Towers of Ruin for solo play, I'd recommend also picking up the Roots of Corruption expansion. Friday is another excellent recommendation, and a lot cheaper. But Mage Knight really is the best solo game out there. Watch Ricky Royal's playthrough video series to decide if it's for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A.D. 30 is a very good solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Decker
United States
Kingsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For those that are suggesting Mage Knight.. which one?
I'm assuming the Mage Night Board Game that has the designers name on it; Vlaada Chvatil. (or something close to that)
BGG lists 4 0r 5 Mage Knights. Some are expansions, some are different games.
Just want to be sure.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ddandb wrote:
For those that are suggesting Mage Knight.. which one?
I'm assuming the Mage Night Board Game that has the designers name on it; Vlaada Chvatil. (or something close to that)
BGG lists 4 0r 5 Mage Knights. Some are expansions, some are different games.
Just want to be sure.

Thanks

Yes, Mage Night Board Game, by Vlaada Chvatil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.