Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Celebrity Gift makes a case for Research Station? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bengtsson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Is there a case for including Research Station in Jinteki kill decks now? You would be able to hide cards in your hand with the bigger hand size. Also, it also makes it easier to keep Neural EMPs in your hand for that one big kill turn when you score an completely advanced agenda for 1 damage, Rez a Ronin for 2 damage and then triple Neural EMP for 3 damage. It would probably take a ton of work to set up but it would be rad to pull it off!

Any other decks where Research Station may work? I used to use it for bluffing back when the core set was all we had. That was in Weyland though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
There's definitely a case for it, and I've tried it in my Jinteki with pleasing results. My only concern is that it was trashed more often than not, and I got better use out of Jackson Howard and a lone Anonymous Tip.


Edit: Ultimately, I ditched Celebrity Gift entirely. Knowledge is power in A:NR, especially with Jinteki.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bengtsson
United States
California
flag msg tools
That's where Research Station comes in to shore up the con of revealing your hand. Also, what about the fake-out potential? You show your hand, they see you got an agenda and a cerebral overwriter. You install and advance. Next turn you install and advance twice. Is running worth 2 brain damage against Jinteki? That makes a Ronin so much more dangerous. One Ronin and a scored agenda in the same turn can kill a runner.

Not saying its the be all end all card for Jinteki. I wanna try it and see
What happens when I pick up Opening Moves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Lysford
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chrespo wrote:
Any other decks where Research Station may work? I used to use it for bluffing back when the core set was all we had. That was in Weyland though.


Advancable Ice stall decks. When you have a 15 strength Ice Wall and 7 sub Swarm on HQ and aren't ending turn with a remote, ever (only scoring with ToL), you'll be happy to keep as many agendas in the comforting embrace of your HQ as possible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I think of Jinteki having cards trashed, I think of RP Encryption protocol. Add some Hokusai Grid, Jackson Howard, and some harsh ice and you have a good deal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrespo wrote:
"Rez a Ronin for 2 damage and then triple Neural EMP for 3 damage.


But that's 4 clicks. But Ronin is 3 damage, so still 5 damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lysander1 wrote:
There's definitely a case for it, and I've tried it in my Jinteki with pleasing results. My only concern is that it was trashed more often than not, and I got better use out of Jackson Howard and a lone Anonymous Tip.


Edit: Ultimately, I ditched Celebrity Gift entirely. Knowledge is power in A:NR, especially with Jinteki.


At the same time if you show your hand and there are are snares, or Fetal AIs, are they going to try and trash your research station?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bengtsson
United States
California
flag msg tools
I forgot Ronin takes a click to use...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
SW_Cygnus wrote:
Lysander1 wrote:
There's definitely a case for it, and I've tried it in my Jinteki with pleasing results. My only concern is that it was trashed more often than not, and I got better use out of Jackson Howard and a lone Anonymous Tip.


Edit: Ultimately, I ditched Celebrity Gift entirely. Knowledge is power in A:NR, especially with Jinteki.


At the same time if you show your hand and there are are snares, or Fetal AIs, are they going to try and trash your research station?



No, they're going to realize running HQ is pointless, but R&D is less risky and hammer it. Against a talented runner, there's a LOT of information to glean by knowing HQ's composition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Law
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
Lysander1 wrote:
SW_Cygnus wrote:
Lysander1 wrote:
There's definitely a case for it, and I've tried it in my Jinteki with pleasing results. My only concern is that it was trashed more often than not, and I got better use out of Jackson Howard and a lone Anonymous Tip.


Edit: Ultimately, I ditched Celebrity Gift entirely. Knowledge is power in A:NR, especially with Jinteki.


At the same time if you show your hand and there are are snares, or Fetal AIs, are they going to try and trash your research station?



No, they're going to realize running HQ is pointless, but R&D is less risky and hammer it. Against a talented runner, there's a LOT of information to glean by knowing HQ's composition.


Yeah, you can't use Celebrity Gift like Hedge Fund. If all you've got in your hand is Snare and Fetal AI, you can't scoop up 8 credits. You could show just one Snare for two credits and let the runner assume you are trying to intimidate them out of running HQ, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Click 1: Jackson Howard (Draw 2 Cards)
Click 2: Jackson Howard (Draw 2 Cards)
Click 3: Celebrity Gift (Show 5 Cards including Agendas and Traps)

Discard down to hand limit. Watch the runner sweat. If they run Jackson, shuffle cards back into the deck. If they run archives, shuffle cards back into deck or leave them there if you just got rid of Ice/Assets/Ops/Etc. If they run RnD: 1) If snares where discarded, shuffle those back into the deck. 2)If agendas were discarded, they are now safe in archives.

Celebrity Gift is ridiculously fun and useful, especially when paired with Jackson Howard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Bailey
msg tools
Celebrity Gift is a Double Operation. Takes two clicks to use. Can't JH twice prior to use.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Scala
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I feel like Celebrity Gift will pair best with fast advance TWIY decks, especially since TWIY has a 6 card handsize
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nungunz wrote:
Celebrity Gift is ridiculously fun and useful, especially when paired with Jackson Howard.


Especially fun when you play it as a single click operation and thus cheat.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.